General Chat

Stevo985

Birmingham, more child poverty than any other area and its going to get worse with the council going bankrupt, this shouldn't be happening in a country as rich as ours, disgraceful that those in power are allowing it to happen.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Chindie said:

It's the perfect storm of bad government, especially at national level, and absurd income inequality.

You probably right.... having 2 aircraft carriers floating around while children are starving in many parts of our country , especially Birmingham, is madness. You can add the fact that the cut in national insurance could have been and should have been directed towards feeding starving children (or the NHS, which was the original plan from the tories until the madman took over).

I have watched this country slowly declining year after year since the early 80's, its a massive mess that needs sorting unless we want to become a poor country with imaginary visions of glory built on past military glory.

I have travelled around the country visiting once great towns and cities that have since become empty abandoned shells of despair and poverty, good God its a right mess.

Edited by tinker

On 21/02/2024 at 15:02, choffer said:

Could have sworn we had a consumer advice thread somewhere but seem unable to locate it, so I'm sticking it here for now. (Mods, feel free to move if there's somewhere better for this to sit). 

Received in the post this morning, a £100 fine for not having paid a parking ticket last month. So far, so normal, except I've never been to the place where the parking infraction took place. At the date/time the ticket was issued, I was working at home, with my car in view through the window the whole time. The photo evidence provided is the same make, model and colour as mine and the registration matches but there's simply no way it could have been me. Annoyingly, there's no particularly identifying features on my car to distinguish from the one in the photo.

I'm guessing if I contest it saying "It wasn't me, Guv", they'll give me a fairly swift response of "don't care, pay up". 

So, I could pay the fine as I don't have time for the hassle but I'm not sure what other options I have. Any suggestions?

Self-quoting to update.

Perseverance is key. Took three emails for them to respond but respond they did and they've now cancelled the ticket. In that time, I'd had three threatening letters. I'd provided them with footage confirming my car wasn't where they said it was and copies of my notifications to the old bill and the DVLA. No response from DVLA or Met Police to me telling them my ARN had been cloned. 

I suspect they presumed if they kept threatening, I'd pay up to make it go away. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, choffer said:

I suspect they presumed if they kept threatening, I'd pay up to make it go away. 

Yep and I'm fairly sure the letters are all automated, so they’ll keep coming until a human steps in and puts a stop to it. Congrats btw

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

Yep and I'm fairly sure the letters are all automated, so they’ll keep coming until a human steps in and puts a stop to it. Congrats btw

Way back in the 60s I remember reading a science fiction short story predicting (somewhat satirically) the future of such computerised processes. Basically a bloke got a message about a supposedly unreturned library book. He refused to pay the fine, and there followed an unstoppable chain of escalation (trying to explain the error, trying ignoring the messages, etc.) that ultimately led to him being sent to jail (possibly executed, I forget now). 

40 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Way back in the 60s I remember reading a science fiction short story predicting (somewhat satirically) the future of such computerised processes. Basically a bloke got a message about a supposedly unreturned library book. He refused to pay the fine, and there followed an unstoppable chain of escalation (trying to explain the error, trying ignoring the messages, etc.) that ultimately led to him being sent to jail (possibly executed, I forget now). 

Computers Don't Argue by Gordon R Dickson ? 

"Computers Don't Argue" is a 1965 science fiction short story by American writer Gordon R. Dickson, about the dangers of relying too strongly upon computers.

• Thanks 1

Quiz question, what is this a list of?

Spurs - 59

Chelsea - 33

Man City - 28

Man United - 24

Arsenal - 18

Liverpool - 14

Villa & Portsmouth - 7

Leicester, Southampton, Watford - 6

- —————

Accrington, Colchester, Crawley, Ipswich, Blackburn - 0

????

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

Spurs - 59

Chelsea - 33

Man City - 28

Man United - 24

Arsenal - 18

Liverpool - 14

Villa & Portsmouth - 7

- —————

????

I was reading this a few days ago.  

Clue >>

Spoiler

Jacksonville Jaguars are high up on that list. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

I bet that guy will have some explaining to do.

You can kinda see how that geezer hit that iceberg now. 😂

It has to be some mechanical failure, or a deliberate act. 

There were apparently 2 local pilots on board plus of course the captain abd senior officers. 

It's hard to believe that much expertise amongst so many people didn't realise they weren't in the middle of the channel. 

Edited by sidcow

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

I bet that guy will have some explaining to do.

You can kinda see how that geezer hit that iceberg now. 😂

Many dead presumably, he'll have more than explaining to do.

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

It has to be some mechanical failure, or a deliberate act. 

There were apparently 2 local pilots on board plus of course the captain abd senior officers. 

It's hard to believe that much expertise amongst so many people didn't realise they weren't in the middle of the channel. 

Or maybe some extreme weather sent the boat off course?

32 minutes ago, Genie said:

Or maybe some extreme weather sent the boat off course?

You would expect them to delay the departure if it was that bad. 

Again you have local pilots on board familiar with local conditions to guide these ships out. 

They should know when weather is too bad to safely navigate. 

2 hours ago, Genie said:

Spurs - 59

Chelsea - 33

Man City - 28

Man United - 24

Arsenal - 18

Liverpool - 14

Villa & Portsmouth - 7

- —————

????

With Spurs top it can only be number of jobs bottled

Just now, sidcow said:

You would expect them to delay the departure if it was that bad. 

Again you have local pilots on board familiar with local conditions to guide these ships out. 

They should know when weather is too bad to safely navigate. 

Yeah, agree with all this but errors of judgement do sometimes still happen. It might be nothing to do with weather but just a thought.

Â