General Chat

Stevo985

wasn't sure where to post this but i suppose this is as good as anywhere.

I see The Jockey Club and Cheltenham have joined the woke looney gang and ditched the traditional Ladies Day naming which has reportedly run since the 1830's.

It's now going to be called ''Style Wednesday'' so it can include best dressed men as well. 

I get times change, but what another LOB. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, imavillan said:

I see The Jockey Club and Cheltenham have joined the woke looney gang and ditched the traditional Ladies Day naming which has reportedly run since the 1830's.

It's now going to be called ''Style Wednesday'' so it can include best dressed men as well. 

Ladies Day at Aintree changing too?

Maybe they could rename the Aintree one, overdressed pissed scousers who know shite all about horses day

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, imavillan said:

Genuine curiosity, do you go to Cheltenham and if you do, how has this affected you in any way?

I could genuinely say it would be something that had absolutely zero impact on any aspect of my life. If they changed it to banana day and said dress code is yellow it just wouldn’t register with me.

What would be looney about it? Is this going to stop women dressing up and attending?

I struggle with the upset at this sort of thing, so genuinely curious as to why it’s upset you. I’m not setting a trap, just interested.

• Like 4

I can see there being some objections from women who had a thing just for them and now there are a bunch of blokes getting involved, and I'm somewhat sympathetic to that view.

I am amused however by papers and GBNews banging on about it being "woke". How do you reckon these open-minded progressives would react if another sport introduced a ladies day? I reckon it'd probably be something like "these days these bloody snowflakes want a women only safespace at the cricket, world's gone mad. All genitals matter sweetheart".

Edited by Davkaus

10 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Genuine curiosity, do you go to Cheltenham and if you do, how has this affected you in any way?

I could genuinely say it would be something that had absolutely zero impact on any aspect of my life. If they changed it to banana day and said dress code is yellow it just wouldn’t register with me.

What would be looney about it? Is this going to stop women dressing up and attending?

I struggle with the upset at this sort of thing, so genuinely curious as to why it’s upset you. I’m not setting a trap, just interested.

Iv'e been to Cheltenham many times but never the festival as there's far too many people there for my liking. I do go to the races, probably about 8/10 times a year.

Of course the name change will not stop people going or dressing up. Equally it would not stop anyone going or any gender dressing up if they kept the name the same.

I know, certainly from the people i mix with, that ladies like to dress up and feel special. The places where they can do this are generally weddings, christenings and racecourses that have a ladies day. So what's wrong with keeping it that way? Yes, sure, they can still get dressed up, but it's called 'ladies day' and has been for donkies years. Being called ladies day puts the emphasis and spotlight on them and helps make them feel special imo.

Various racecourses also have Gents days too and there's nothing wrong with that either imo.

• Like 1

Clive Myrie on the BBC news committing the cardinal sin of referring to 'Notts' Forest. What is the BBC coming to? 

• Haha 1

Does anyone have a definitive answer as to whether I can buy a replacement bulb for the near 8foot (Sorry Limpid ;) ) striplight in my kitchen?

Most builders supplies/electrical supplies/housewear shops only stock up to 6' - the internet seems to not understand what I'm asking it - the electrical suppliers never got back to me.

Have they been phased out? I know the old skool bulbs are now led stripbulbs and are less girthy and all that, but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

I feel a new fitting/housing might be in order.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Does anyone have a definitive answer as to whether I can buy a replacement bulb for the near 8foot (Sorry Limpid ;) ) striplight in my kitchen?

Most builders supplies/electrical supplies/housewear shops only stock up to 6' - the internet seems to not understand what I'm asking it - the electrical suppliers never got back to me.

Have they been phased out? I know the old skool bulbs are now led stripbulbs and are less girthy and all that, but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

Have a look at the unit and see if there’s some part numbers on it you can google.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VILLAMARV said:

You mean like these?

Vezalux 8ft 100w 835 T12 Fluorescent Tube - White

Mooney T12 Fluorescent 8ft bulb

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, bickster said:

You mean like these?

Vezalux 8ft 100w 835 T12 Fluorescent Tube - White

Mooney T12 Fluorescent 8ft bulb

Ah @VILLAMARV you were googling Mooney T12 Fluorescent nearly 8ft bulb.  Silly billy.

• Haha 2

There's a funeral in my town today for one of us. Not a VTer as far as I know, but a Villa fan, season ticket holder. His son was a few years above me in school and while we were never big mates or anything we'll often stop in the street or the shops to chat villa. Last time we did so was after the Spurs game and he's walking down the road with his wife and there's me blabbering on about how tough it was to watch the game on the weekend, totally oblivious to the fact that his dad had died - in front of him - that very weekend. He was too polite to say anything. "That was a tough watch eh?" I'm cringeing just writing it out as I do when I re-live it, as I'm prone to do, over and over again. Anyway I'm thinking of hanging around somewhere either outside the church or on the route the hearse will take, which is probably past my place anyway, in one of my villa tops. I think it will probably be quite a big funeral and I don't feel the need to go to the service, but feel like I would like to show some solidarity. Deciding whether/where to stand might take me a while. Small town problems I suppose. HEITS and all that.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

Don't beat yourself up over it, you weren't to know and truth be told, he probably welcomed a 'normal' interaction with someone at that time. You may have taken his mind off it for a few mins at least. 

Cheers mate, and I suppose in years gone by I'd have been much harsher on myself, I'm kinda getting better at letting things like that go. In years gone by it's also the kind of nice thought I'd have and then a subtle blend of inaction, procrastination and self doubt would end up with me not doing anything. I'm also getting better at not talking myself out of stuff though :thumb:

• Like 2

On 13/03/2024 at 12:19, Designer1 said:

I always find it amusing when people use Woke as a pejorative term.

Amusing and instructive. 

• Like 1

Â