General Chat

Stevo985

I feel a bit sorry for the news readers having to think of interesting things to say about the eclipse for several hours solid. About 10 minutes in and they’re really struggling.

19 minutes ago, Genie said:

I feel a bit sorry for the news readers having to think of interesting things to say about the eclipse for several hours solid. About 10 minutes in and they’re really struggling.

Yeah, they're in a real dark spot now. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Remember when we had it... late 90s I think? I remember loads of us from the office in Colmore Row, standing on the roof staring through special glasses! :)

On 05/04/2024 at 20:10, tonyh29 said:

toads on the other hand , big ugly bastards , I found one of them in the pond once , he got pinged over the fence into the neighbours garden 

5333c115ea9202749312eedc296442858730cec1

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

They must be very unenlightened.

• Like 2

I’ve just finished a lovely bar of Lindt dark chocolate that was an Easter present.

Finished the chocolate. Folded the silver paper wrapper, then folded again, and again until it was a tight ball of silver foil. I’ve then compressed it some more by pressing my phone down on it. I was quite pleased with the results, a weighty little nugget of silver. So rather than risk damaging the phone, I’ve switched to a pen, and a sort of roller technique. Squash and roll, flip it over, squash and roll. Really very satisfying.

Then on the next press, I put too much pressure on it and the silver nugget has flown out from under the pen… across the desks and hit a colleague.

I’m in charge here. The adult in the room.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’ve just finished a lovely bar of Lindt dark chocolate that was an Easter present.

Finished the chocolate. Folded the silver paper wrapper, then folded again, and again until it was a tight ball of silver foil. I’ve then compressed it some more by pressing my phone down on it. I was quite pleased with the results, a weighty little nugget of silver. So rather than risk damaging the phone, I’ve switched to a pen, and a sort of roller technique. Squash and roll, flip it over, squash and roll. Really very satisfying.

Then on the next press, I put too much pressure on it and the silver nugget has flown out from under the pen… across the desks and hit a colleague.

I’m in charge here. The adult in the room.

I used to have a real old battle-axe of a boss.  A real mardy old woman, borderline bully.  Eventually there was a rebellion lead by a staff member the board really respected and that was the end of battle-axe.  I heard the owner of the business say he'd have done it a while ago if he realised just how bad it had got.

Anyway, she sat immediately to my right on the next bank of desks.   One day I was idly stretching a big rubber band back and forth across the top of my computer keyboard whilst (probably daydreaming) giving serious contemplation to my work.  Suddenly to my horror I accidentally let go of the rubber band whilst it was at full stretch.  It flew off my keyboard at speed and sailed over her head missing by millimetres.  She was blissfully unaware.

To this day I sometimes contemplate how she would have reacted had it just whacked her in the head.  I would have dined off it for weeks assuming I hadn't been sacked.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Xela said:

Remember when we had it... late 90s I think? I remember loads of us from the office in Colmore Row, standing on the roof staring through special glasses! :)

I was down in Devon-by-the-Sea. I very much remember all the flashes going off around the coastline as everyone took a picture of the darkness or something

23 hours ago, Xela said:

1999, iirc. 

There won't be another one visible in the UK until 2090. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bickster said:

So they installed a new flood defence system in the Wirral seaside town of West Kirby, I think it may have some teething problems :D 

image.png

It’s keeping that narrow bit of promenade nice and dry

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tegis said:

Well, that was awkward.

The receptionist at work came by my desk and asked why she had got a warning about an Airtag following her. I said to look through her purse and pockets as someone might have slipped one in there. Nothing. Tried the beep function. Nothing. Told her it might be in her car. Helped her look and finally we found it inside one of the gloves of a car-cleaning kit her husband had put there yesterday. I guess he didn't know that Android devices can see those and warn if you are being followed.

Apparently that straw broke the camels back and a divorce is now incoming, she was a bit miffed 🫣

Should've had some fun with the AirTag first!

Just now, fightoffyour said:

Should've had some fun with the AirTag first!

My (single) colleague offered to take it home. Maniac :D

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Tegis said:

Well, that was awkward.

The receptionist at work came by my desk and asked why she had got a warning about an Airtag following her. I said to look through her purse and pockets as someone might have slipped one in there. Nothing. Tried the beep function. Nothing. Told her it might be in her car. Helped her look and finally we found it inside one of the gloves of a car-cleaning kit her husband had put there yesterday. I guess he didn't know that Android devices can see those and warn if you are being followed.

Apparently that straw broke the camels back and a divorce is now incoming, she was a bit miffed 🫣

Why did she ask you, are you the acknowledged office stalker? 

14 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Why did she ask you, are you the acknowledged office stalker? 

My expertise knows no bounds.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tegis said:

I guess he didn't know that Android devices can see those and warn if you are being followed.

Apple cares about your privacy, as long as you are the stalker.

On 10/04/2024 at 07:26, bickster said:

So they installed a new flood defence system in the Wirral seaside town of West Kirby, I think it may have some teething problems :D 

image.png

Quoting myself but hey ho...

The council's response

Â