General Chat

Stevo985

17 hours ago, sidcow said:

Remember when we used to get public information films about how to cross the road, safe swimming etc. 

I was sure they would have done one about walking on frozen lakes but I can't find anything. 

don't mix crossply and radials 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

They were pulled from the water in cardiac arrest - their hearts weren't doing anything. If the other recovers it's miraculous - they'll have been essentially dead when they got them out of the lake.

When it comes to cardiac arrest in cold water, you're only dead when you're warm and dead. Lots of stories of people brought out of cold water in cardiac arrest, worked on for hours with cpr and warming, and they walk out of the hospital with no disability.

Doesn't seem to be the case here though sadly.

16 minutes ago, BOF said:

I'm going to make a fairly safe speculation here that they were not 'given the OK' to play on a frozen lake by anyone. They were just kids being kids. As for leaving kids alone. Again, at that age, kids play outside. What with the snow etc it was probably a comparitive winter wonderland at the time. No-one to blame. Just a shitty end to an innocent but highly dangerous act. A tragedy.

Maybe it's just me, but I would never leave my 6 year old alone with his older sibling. I have a 6 year old and I can't believe how anyone can let a kid of that age outside without an adult! 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, BOF said:

I'm going to make a fairly safe speculation here that they were not 'given the OK' to play on a frozen lake by anyone. They were just kids being kids. As for leaving kids alone. Again, at that age, kids play outside. What with the snow etc it was probably a comparitive winter wonderland at the time. No-one to blame. Just a shitty end to an innocent but highly dangerous act. A tragedy.

Very well put. 

It's at times like these where it's best not to delve into the comments section on any twitter post related to the incident. The amount of people out there commenting on the parenting and even going as far as saying things tantamount to 'Well, they deserved it for playing on a frozen lake', is absolutely sickening. 
Nobody knows the circumstances here other than children were on/near a lake and tragically lost their life in what, as BOF puts it, is a shitty end to an innocent but highly dangerous act. 

I'm praying the 6yr old pulls through. I assume he's a sibling of one of the other children. I hope to God a family doesn't lose two of it's children.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, villarule123 said:

Maybe it's just me, but I would never leave my 6 year old alone with his older sibling. I have a 6 year old and I can't believe how anyone can let a kid of that age outside without an adult! 

If with you. I wouldnt either. When i was growing up the oldest person i was allowed was 18 and i was 16 at the time. My parents were very strict with  me.

There is no way in hell id be letting my kids out at the age of 6 or even 8 unsupervised.

No blame but avoidable deaths sadly

**** hell. Sky News are such scumbags. 

They've published and filmed an interview with a 10 year of friend of the boys. 

They've also stated his story about what happened even though this kid wasn't actually even there at the time so he's just repeating hearsay. 

How can they interview a young kid like that? I'm for freedom of the press but that's just plain wrong surely? 

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

8 hours ago, villarule123 said:

Really? My son is seven and he plays alone outside with his friends all the time, and he has for a couple of years at least. 

9 hours ago, El Zen said:

Really? My son is seven and he plays alone outside with his friends all the time, and he has for a couple of years at least. 

Well if this horrible experience is anything to go by id bloody make sure they are with responsible older children. This is a parents worse nightmare.

Why take the risk in this weather? 

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I've read the whole thing and I have no idea what this is an ad for

It’s catalytic converters from car exhaust systems. They are very sought after due to the precious metals inside. 

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’s catalytic converters from car exhaust systems. They are very sought after due to the precious metals inside. 

Ah, you'd think they'd make that a little clearer in the advert!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Ah, you'd think they'd make that a little clearer in the advert!

I’m still not sure what the “dust” element is unless it’s something to do with the crap inside which the “cat” collects.

Â