General Chat

Stevo985

44 minutes ago, El Zen said:

Last private landline phone in Norway has been disconnected. 

Apparently we’re now all supposed to talk to each other via our Villa Talk accessing machines 🤷‍♂️

I'm surprised, and curious as to why it's been done. I realise that people use mobiles a lot more these days, but is there any disadvantage to just leaving the landlines there as an alternative? 

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I'm surprised, and curious as to why it's been done. I realise that people use mobiles a lot more these days, but is there any disadvantage to just leaving the landlines there as an alternative? 

Maintance costs probably. I dunno. Our geography doesn’t really lend itself to infrastructure and the maintance of it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

Interesting ... I get TV, internet/email and phone on my landline.

That'll be a fibreoptic cable though ?

Not quite the same thing

The UK should get rid of all its old copper telephone network by 2025

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

That'll be a fibreoptic cable though ?

Not quite the same thing

The UK should get rid of all its old copper telephone network by 2025

I should specify, it is indeed the old copper network that is now completely disconnected. 

You can obviously still have a stationary house phone if you want via broadband and fibre. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah mine used to be my mom but even she calls me on my mobile now. 

I haven't had a land line phone plugged in for at least 5 years

No wonder she calls your mobile if she thinks you ignored her calling your house for 5 years!

• Haha 1

On 19/12/2022 at 18:33, KentVillan said:

What on earth is this meant to be, I am so confused

New £5 note. I dont know why they bothering charles will be lucky if it gets 15 years as king.

They should just keep elizabeth as she was the longest serving monarch and its unlikely she will ever be topped.

Also it just looks wierd with charles on it

Screenshot_20221221-070858_Chrome.jpg

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

New £5 note. I dont know why they bothering charles will be lucky if it gets 15 years as king.

They should just keep elizabeth as she was the longest serving monarch and its unlikely she will ever be topped.

Explain @Mr_Dogg

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Imagine that :D 

"Hi your highness, yeah we're not bothering with new money coz you'll be dead soon innit"

• Haha 1

"Your royal highness, we are doing a redesign of the money and that, can I ask, are you in good health? No, no reason, just asking" "whats that, an ingrowing toenail?"

"Alan!!!!!, stick with the queen, he isnt long for this world".

26 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Imagine that :D 

"Hi your highness, yeah we're not bothering with new money coz you'll be dead soon i😆nnit"

Well then lets continue to change money and waste money doing so. Also damage the environment then instead 😆

The point was forget his health just keep the notes the same. Elizabeths face should remain on the notes for the monarch she was

14 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Well then lets continue to change money and waste money doing so. Also damage the environment then instead 😆

It's not that bad, fortunately; these notes will be slowly phased in as the older ones need to be replaced due to being lost, damaged, etc. They'd have been getting made anyway so the only additional cost is creating the image of Charles

Edited by Davkaus

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It's not that bad, fortunately; these notes will be slowly phased in as the older ones need to be replaced due to being lost, damaged, etc. They'd have been getting made anyway so the only additional time is creating the image of Charles

General question as was looking and couldnt find answer online how much does it cost changing notes over? I appreciate its in a phased manner but i can't imagine it would be cheap

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

General question as was looking and couldnt find answer online how much does it cost changing notes over? I appreciate its in a phased manner but i can't imagine it would be cheap

Notes are constantly destroyed and reprinted anyway. I expect the cost of printing the replacement ones with a different picture is fairly minimal. 

Kinda related, but years ago I remember watching a programme which was recreating the real life events of some people who worked at one of these places that burned old/tatty notes and had a clever method of stealing them. Does anyone know what it was called?

• Thanks 1

Â