General Chat

Stevo985

Open letter from Royal Mail received via email

Dear Customer,

At Royal Mail, we know this is the time of year when you rely on us most.

So we deeply regret that the Communication Workers Union (CWU) is planning further strikes on 9, 11, 14, 15, 23 and 24 December 2022.

Last week we delivered around 700,000 parcels during strike days and recovered service quickly. I want to thank personally more than 11,000 of our employees who came back to work during that last strike. 

But the task gets more challenging as Christmas nears. So we’re asking customers to send Second Class mail by 12 December and First Class by 16 December 2022.

We’ll do everything we can to respond. And we're doing everything we can to settle this dispute.

Eight months of talks with the union. A pay offer of up to 9% over 18 months. But even before the strikes we were losing £1m a day. So we can only afford that offer if the union stops resisting the changes needed to deliver what you, our customers, ask for today. 

You’re sending 60% fewer letters than you used to, and the number keeps on falling. You’re sending more parcels, which you want delivered quickly, including at weekends.

We’ve also listened carefully to our employees. Existing employees who aren’t required to work Sundays won’t be required to do so. And we’re introducing family-friendly options to help with our need for more afternoon working.

We are bringing in new recruits on different contracts, but their terms, conditions and pensions will still be the best in the industry. This is not the gig economy. We have a generous voluntary redundancy scheme and are NOT making compulsory redundancies. 

We are the only people who deliver a universal one-price-goes-anywhere service to the whole United Kingdom, and we know how much you need us.

We urge the CWU to call off these damaging strikes. And we’ll do everything we can to deliver Christmas. 

For everybody. 

Yours sincerely,

Simon Thompson
CEO, Royal Mail

But even before the strikes we were losing £1m a day.

Sounds like the business is in a precarious position.

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/royal-mails-lon-rmg-upcoming-122920826.html

Royal Mail plc (LON:RMG) will increase its dividend on the 6th of September to UK£0.13. This will take the annual payment from 8.9% to 13% of the stock price, which is above what most companies in the industry pay.

• Like 1

Flippin eck

Question on Pointless - Name the current Premier League team who were the first non league team to with the FA Cup in 1901.

Contestant said Aston Villa.  I mean the irony.   Oh how I laughed before I started crying.

2 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Eight months sentence, suspended for 12 months.

Since there's a conviction on the public record, I"m reckoning this topic is wide open now on the forum, but it DOES seem grossly inadequate considering the heartbreaking loss.  I hope there's a civil case in American courts because family would probably stand a better chance of getting justice. 

• Like 1

My card details have been nabbed by someone, from somewhere. Just had a notification on my phone through the HSBC app with a £104.98 charge at JD Sports online. As I was looking at this notification another one came through, same site, £84.99. Logged into the bank and another one for £104.98 popped up. So I quickly froze my card and phoned the fraud team at HSBC.

5 minutes later the pending charges were wiped and a new card on it's way.

I HATE people who do card fraud. Absolute bellends. Could ruin peoples lives never mind their Christmas. Bit of an inconvinience having no card for however long now (annoyingly postal strikes are ongoing now), but I've not lost any money so count the blessings and all that.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

My card details have been nabbed by someone, from somewhere. Just had a notification on my phone through the HSBC app with a £104.98 charge at JD Sports online. As I was looking at this notification another one came through, same site, £84.99. Logged into the bank and another one for £104.98 popped up. So I quickly froze my card and phoned the fraud team at HSBC.

5 minutes later the pending charges were wiped and a new card on it's way.

I HATE people who do card fraud. Absolute bellends. Could ruin peoples lives never mind their Christmas. Bit of an inconvinience having no card for however long now (annoyingly postal strikes are ongoing now), but I've not lost any money so count the blessings and all that.

In these days where it's easier and more secure to pay using your phone, how did they get hold of your card details? (Genuine question)

4 minutes ago, limpid said:

In these days where it's easier and more secure to pay using your phone, how did they get hold of your card details? (Genuine question)

There's still sites that don't have apple play as an example. Have to manually put in the details etc... Haven't brought from any dubious sites. (all reputable online shops). So not a clue where my card details where harvested.

8 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

There's still sites that don't have apple play as an example. Have to manually put in the details etc... Haven't brought from any dubious sites. (all reputable online shops). So not a clue where my card details where harvested.

Reputable shops have data breaches too.

It's likely that someone has had physical access to your card (as bizarrely all the data they need is printed on the card). Online sites are not allowed to store the CVV if they don't want to lose their ability to process card payments.

You might want to ask your bank if they offer virtual cards, and if they don't, it's really easy to change banks (and you usually get paid to do it).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, limpid said:

You might want to ask your bank if they offer virtual cards

As an aside, this is the reason I have a Revolut account. It's not my main account but I couldn't be arsed actually paying for a physical card so I can only use it with Apple Pay etc in shops and for online purchases I use a single use virtual card that expires once its been used, then set up another in seconds the next time I want to use it

I could even give you an introduction code that earns me £60 when you spend enough on it but why bother when you can just download their App from your App store of choice

• Like 1

On 07/12/2022 at 19:00, ender4 said:

I’ve also only ever used ignore twice.  One of them went back to Leeds and the other still posts here. 

same but i'm pretty sure they're the same person

• Like 1

So came down to brum for weekend 1st time since pre pandemic.

Mixed bag for me. Loved the christmas markets down here they were great much better than ours and loved browsing hmv like the old days. Shame there isnt any like that near me anymore. Really like the shopping centre  has literally everything. 

Noticed a lot of homelessness and beggers since last time i came which is sad to see. 

I thought the gauchos near snow hill was terrible. They gave us the wrong steaks that were overcooked, tried to charge us for bone marrow that we never ordered. Wouldnt go to this one again. Also took forever to get a coffee in all the coffee shops here. Seems to be shortage of staff i would assume.

Finally you wouldnt think there was a cost of living crisis here! The amount of people shopping and buying stuff in bull ring wow was mental!

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

So came down to brum for weekend 1st time since pre pandemic.

Mixed bag for me. Loved the christmas markets down here

Up. You're from London, so you came UP to Brum. It's north, so it's 'up' on a map. And it's at a higher altitude. 

This 'down from/up to' London thing has a whiff of snobbery. (As does the term 'home counties', btw). 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Up. You're from London, so you came UP to Brum. It's north, so it's 'up' on a map. And it's at a higher altitude. 

This 'down from/up to' London thing has a whiff of snobbery. (As does the term 'home counties', btw). 

No idea how im a snob from that mj? Bit of a strange comment that. 

Â