General Chat

Stevo985

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

General question as was looking and couldnt find answer online how much does it cost changing notes over? I appreciate its in a phased manner but i can't imagine it would be cheap

No idea tbh, but that's a general cost of having currency, the notes and coins are gradually replaced each year. Apparently the average tenner lasts about 11 years in circulation, so (unless we become increasingly cashless) we'll be seeing the Queen on notes well into the 30s, probably even into the 40s

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

No idea tbh, but that's a general cost of having currency, the notes and coins are gradually replaced each year. Apparently the average tenner lasts about 11 years in circulation, so (unless we become increasingly cashless) we'll be seeing the Queen on notes well into the 30s, probably even into the 40s

Thanks.It seems we are becoming cashless quietly. More banks closing, being able to tap for higher amounts. 

I admit i use card more than cash these days but i do like going into a bank when i have a issue as opposed to dealing with them on the phone. I find on the phone its very annoying and more time consuning 

21 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’ve been into the bank once or twice in the last decade.

Same, and the second time was to close my account after I had to go into a branch just to change my address, I left so annoyed by it I was back in a few days to stop doing business with them. then it took them about half an hour to close my account and it took a lot of restraint to not highlight that it was the exact incompetence that was making me leave

I use Starling these days, mobile first, and the couple of times I've needed them it's a chat in the app and I get a response within ~half an hour, but it's asynchronous so I can just send them a message instead of arsing around on hold.

I also use Amex and they're best contacted on the phone, but you get through instantly, I've never had a wait, so I don't mind too much.

Edited by Davkaus

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

New £5 note. I dont know why they bothering charles will be lucky if it gets 15 years as king.

They should just keep elizabeth as she was the longest serving monarch and its unlikely she will ever be topped.

Also it just looks wierd with charles on it

Screenshot_20221221-070858_Chrome.jpg

Probably not the only Charlie that will end up on a good few £5 notes. 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Thanks.It seems we are becoming cashless quietly. More banks closing, being able to tap for higher amounts. 

I admit i use card more than cash these days but i do like going into a bank when i have a issue as opposed to dealing with them on the phone. I find on the phone its very annoying and more time consuning 

Admittedly I don’t have any complex financial products but I’ve not yet encountered a situation that I couldn’t solve using the online services. I can’t remember the last time I needed to speak to someone in a bank.

• Like 1

Transpennine Express cancelling a load of trains again at short notice due to a ‘staff rostering system issue’.

They don’t have enough staff, but apparently it’s a system issue.

Surely enough is enough, how can these operators continue offering such a shockingly poor service.

12 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Admittedly I don’t have any complex financial products but I’ve not yet encountered a situation that I couldn’t solve using the online services. I can’t remember the last time I needed to speak to someone in a bank.

My bank even allows me to pay in a cheque via the app. I can’t think of any reason why i’d need to go into the branch now, apart from to close my account.

I use Lloyds for my main current account but using my Chase account more and more for the 1% cashback on purchases, and 5% paid on roundup payments. Also 2.7% paid on regular balances.

I also have a monese current account. I opened it a couple of years ago as my son went on a school trip and the gift shop was card only. There’s no annual fees for having it. I load a little bit of money into the account and gave him the card. The best bit about this account is they regularly sell discounted gift cards (10-20% off). They’ve offered them twice this month, 10% off each time. I usually opt for a Morrisons card and use it to get my fuel 10-20% lower.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

Just now, bannedfromHandV said:

Transpennine Express cancelling a load of trains again at short notice due to a ‘staff rostering system issue’.

They don’t have enough staff, but apparently it’s a system issue.

Surely enough is enough, how can these operators continue offering such a shockingly poor service.

Is it a way of protecting people who have been striking from criticism? 

All the trains on the Snow Hill lines have been stopping running at 7pm this week. 

No idea why, there are currently no strikes, they've managed to run them all day. 

Not well advertised either. I only know because my boss told me. I would expect posters and regular announcements at the stations but nothing. 

I bet loads of people have been caught out by it. 

Just now, sidcow said:

Well they're not making much money for them with no passengers. 

They get paid by the government to run the system. Hence no risk.

Watch Mick Lynch mangle the parliamentary committee, he explains it concisely there.

• Like 1

Â