General Chat

Stevo985

23 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

My ex genuinely thought they must just be some really important marbles, like the first ones made when the game was invented

Yeah, they are pearly gobies. Rare as hens teeth them. 

13 hours ago, Genie said:

Are Royal Mail still on strike? Still no post here and we’re waiting on loads of things.

I saw this Tweet yesterday. They’re not currently on strike, although more days are planned, but the backlog at depots is already huge. This is compounded by the usual uptick in volume pre-Christmas and more people rushing to get post sent earlier in the hope it will be delivered before the 25th.

More videos in the Tweet.

53 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

I saw this Tweet yesterday. They’re not currently on strike, although more days are planned, but the backlog at depots is already huge. This is compounded by the usual uptick in volume pre-Christmas and more people rushing to get post sent earlier in the hope it will be delivered before the 25th.

More videos in the Tweet.

This makes the Royal Mail strikes a bit different to others who are back to business when the strike ends.

I think they’ll lose public support quite quickly when it takes them 2 weeks to recover from each 2 day strike and people are missing their medication, or important documents.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Genie said:

This makes the Royal Mail strikes a bit different to others who are back to business when the strike ends.

I think they’ll lose public support quite quickly when it takes them 2 weeks to recover from each 2 day strike and people are missing their medication, or important documents.

Think public support is already quite low.

Problem they have as a delivery service for parcels etc they are already better faster more flexible options out there (although each of them not without their faults)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, phily85 said:

Think public support is already quite low.

Problem they have as a delivery service for parcels etc they are already better faster more flexible options out there (although each of them not without their faults)

I think your right doing it during xmas time when people are expecting things isnt going to get you much sympathy 

Ive heard of instances round me where people have been quite aggressive towards the post people as they perceive them as lazy and that everyone's struggling just get on with it like most of us are

6 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Every time there's a discussion about strikes, there's people moaning they should do it at some other time when it'll cause less impact. Minimising disruption is kind of the opposite of the intent of strikes.

Train strikes and the like, it’s 48 hours of impact on the public and whilst it’s often inconvenient it’s not a total disaster. It’s sharing the pain to hopefully get them a good deal. Nurses, police and other services will ensure that a skeleton crew of coverage will still be maintained.

Royal Mail take 2 days off and it seems like it’ll probably take them weeks to sort themselves out. Shit loads of stuff will inevitably go missing. By which point they’ll probably do another.

I bet the RM staff will top up their lost strike wages with some OT clearing up the mess their strike created.

15 minutes ago, Genie said:

Royal Mail take 2 days off and it seems like it’ll probably take them weeks to sort themselves out.

Well yeah, because people keep building up a backlog of work, people don't go and take an extra train journey to make up for the one they missed during the strikes, but the post keeps building up - not sure that the workers can really mitigate that though, and if a couple od days has such a massive impact, all the more reason to give them a proper deal.

The consequences are frustrating, but why should they accept significant real-terms paycuts and worse working conditions while hundreds of millions is being paid out to shareholders?

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

The consequences are frustrating, but why should they accept significant real-terms paycuts and worse working conditions while hundreds of millions is being paid out to shareholders?

I think the strike action should be such that it doesn’t have an immeasurable long term impact on the country, for example suspend deliveries for an amount of days but ensure back office they can resume deliveries after the strike ends. 

If they were to increase the number of days where deliveries were suspended then that’s up to them, and the impact on the public would also be understood. 

There's been a lot of talk about the already hard hit hospitality industry suffering from the Rail Strikes at their most important time. 

I know 2 teams in our office have cancelled booked Christmas Parties because of the strikes so the restaurant has lost out. I expect this will be true of many many other places. 

I do think if they did strikes in January it would still cause the inconvenience they seek to achieve without hitting other business's so hard. 

12 hours ago, Genie said:

I didn’t realise Royal Mail are doing so many strikes this month.

9th, 11th, 14th, 15th, 23rd and 24th

What a disaster for all concerned. 

robinhood-call-off-christmas.gif

14 hours ago, Genie said:

I didn’t realise Royal Mail are doing so many strikes this month.

9th, 11th, 14th, 15th, 23rd and 24th

What a disaster for all concerned. 

Didn't realise they had that many for December, and although I support the right of workers to withdraw their Labour, the optics of picking the 23rd and 24th to have a nice long break over the Christmas period aren't fantastic

• Like 1

22 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I fully support all striking workers. 

This all day. 

Look at the ridiculous way wealth is distributed today. One of the reasons that happens is because normal working people are consistently encouraged to turn against each other when one group wants things to improve. 

Accept the inconvenience because at some point, a strike or demands made by a certain group will benefit you. 

Â