General Chat

Stevo985

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

Where does the “down to Birmingham” thing to come from? Usually down refers to travelling south. 

Well brum is like a hour odd from london 2hrs by train so its not really up or down if we want to get technical.  We are like neighbours. Got a lot of friends that say they come down to london from brighton same shit. Its just a expression nothing more. 

But if we walking around calling people snobs for a word thats ridiculous. Snobbery would be aaying brums a shit hole or brums full of peasants crap like that. Not if your saying your going down to Birmingham. Nothing to see here no dramas. 😃

I wasn’t calling you a snob, it’s just that i’ve never heard it stated the way you said it.

People travel “up north” and “down south” and there is some logic… travelling “down” to Birmingham from London doesn’t make any sense :lol: 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

No idea how im a snob from that mj? Bit of a strange comment that. 

I wasn't saying you were a snob, Dem. Just that I have so often heard (middle class) people from the southeast using that phrase 'going up to London' - regardless of where one is coming from - in a way that clearly implies that one is somehow being raised up to a superior place. The capital is 'above' the rest of the country. 

For me, up and down are solely topographical. So from Leeds I would go down to London, or up to Glasgow. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I wasn't saying you were a snob, Dem. Just that I have so often heard (middle class) people from the southeast using that phrase 'going up to London' - regardless of where one is coming from - in a way that clearly implies that one is somehow being raised up to a superior place. The capital is 'above' the rest of the country. 

For me, up and down are solely topographical. So from Leeds I would go down to London, or up to Glasgow. 

Apologies than i misunderstood.  Thanks for clarifying your point 😃

• Like 1

I expect it's been frozen and they've tried to walk on it and fallen through. 

I look back to my childhood dicking around on the frozen pool in Highbury Park. Could easily have happened to me. 

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

I expect it's been frozen and they've tried to walk on it and fallen through. 

I look back to my childhood dicking around on the frozen pool in Highbury Park. Could easily have happened to me. 

Thats whats being reported. Its so friggin cold couldn't think of anything worse than being outside let alone on a frozen lake

48 minutes ago, Swerbs said:

I live near and rumours have it 5 lads fell in, 4 pulled out with one dead and they're still looking for a fifth 

Yeah, the news say they're continuing the search so someone is still in there. No way they'll live if that's the case. 

5 lads, you can just imagine them egging each other on, that's what it was like when I was a kid. 😔

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Someone told me ages ago that “up to London” is the correct expression wherever you are in the country, but yeah I always say “up” for north, “down” for south, and “over” for anything else.

Google suggests that in the early days of the railways, the UP line went to London and the DOWN line went from London to wherever. Something to do with it being the capital, and I guess the busiest lines tending to go into or out of London.

People who self consciously say it like this so that they can smugly correct others are of course massive losers.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Swerbs said:

I live near and rumours have it 5 lads fell in, 4 pulled out with one dead and they're still looking for a fifth 

Christ. Just thinking how thin that ice would have been, the weather’s been nowhere near cold enough for long enough to freeze up a lake properly. Hope the ones they’ve pulled out alive are ok.

Â