General Chat

Stevo985

14 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

There's nothing quite like that moment when a two year old locks you out of the house

I see you locked yourself out of your house, Mike and had to be saved by a 2 year old. Embarrassing, eh?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

Interesting you say that, I had a similar thought today regarding police resources. 

I have just driven to Swindon and back. I've seen a total of 8 police cars, sat at roadside/in lay-bys/on bridges, waiting for speeding drivers.

Of course this is all down to the preservation of public safety and not in any way pushing resources towards revenue generation, or for an 'easy nick' on the figures. Only a cynic would think something like that. 

TISPOL 24 Hour Speed Marathon started at 6am today. Its a Europe wide 1 day campaign they do every year

With rise in worcester closed i need a new record shop for record store day this saturday, preferably one that will stock everything with very little queing, my kate wants to go to badlands in cheltenham and stay out of brum because of them being busy, anyone go to a good one? Dont mind 6/7am queue

15 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

With rise in worcester closed i need a new record shop for record store day this saturday, preferably one that will stock everything with very little queing, my kate wants to go to badlands in cheltenham and stay out of brum because of them being busy, anyone go to a good one? Dont mind 6/7am queue

A record shop that will stock everything with little or no queuing? On RSD? LOL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

I'm sure I've got some fairly obscure reggae I can wildly over price for a day if you want to pop over here.

But if you are in to it, why not nip down to that London and do the cluster of shops around Berwick Street? That should be a decent RSD experience.

Phonica: Poland Street

Sounds of the Universe: Broadwick Street

Sister Ray: Berwick Street

I don't know whether Reckless are doing anything, but all 4 shops are within touching distance of each other.

Could be crowded!

Edited by chrisp65

1 hour ago, blandy said:

I see you locked yourself out of your house, Mike and had to be saved by a 2 year old. Embarrassing, eh?

Well, you're right in that it was my responsibility. We were in the back garden enjoying the sunshine, with the kitchen door ajar. She went back inside - no problem, I thought, I'll go and check up on her in a moment - and slammed the door shut (it has a high-up yale lock). Mrs M nearly had a nervous breakdown, until I came up with the solution above. Crisis resolved in two minutes. Other than that, we had a totally lovely day. 

Edited by mjmooney

1 hour ago, bickster said:

TISPOL 24 Hour Speed Marathon started at 6am today. Its a Europe wide 1 day campaign they do every year

You learn something new every day! Cheers for that.

I'd never even heard of them, but I've just read a bit of their site and I hate them already :D

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Well, you're right in that it was my responsibility. We were in the back garden enjoying the sunshine, with the kitchen door ajar. She went back inside - no problem, I thought, I'll go and check up on her in a moment - and slammed the door shut (it has a high-up yale lock). Mrs M nearly had a nervous breakdown, until I came up with the solution above. Crisis resolved in two minutes. Other than that, we had a totally lovely day. 

I was thinking Yale lock, not latched in the unlocked position, (mainly through experience) as two year olds are not tall enough or smart enough to lock normal mortice locks with keys....or are they?. I wasn’t accusing you, really, and I’m glad it all went well, overall. It’s been warm too, which is nice.

6 hours ago, maqroll said:

I also want to buy a cool world map. Nothing too standard looking. anyone have any ideas/links?

Maps thread. Some on there are also available to buy. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, maqroll said:

I also want to buy a cool world map. Nothing too standard looking. anyone have any ideas/links?

Omg I love maps.

When you get it, photos pls.

I was in Bath over the weekend, there is a shop there which sells only authentic 200+ years old maps of Britain, I spend about 30 mins just looking around. 

Edited by lapal_fan
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Omg I love maps.

I was in Bath over the weekend, there is a shop there which sells only authentic 200+ maps of Britain, I spend about 30 mins just looking around. 

Were you lost? But that would be ironic innit?

• Like 1

During this hot weather I saw a lollipop man for first time in years, do they still have these? They are so pointless 

I see him stopping traffic to help a 21 year old adult cross a zebra crossing, I mean for real what is the purpose of them!  

9 hours ago, blandy said:

I was thinking Yale lock, not latched in the unlocked position

That's what it was - I would normally drop the latch in the 'open' position, so that the closed door could still be opened with the lever handle. Unfortunately, that particular lock has started misbehaving, and the latch doesn't work. I was not too worried, as the door is extremely heavy, and a tight fit in the frame, so I assumed she wouldn't have the strength to close it. I underestimated her. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mjmooney said:

3. Ask her to go to the hall table, find grandma's keys, and bring them back to the cat flap. 

Are you a real-life Mrs Doubtfire? Or does Mrs Mooney not allow you to have your own keys for fear of you locking yourself inside a wardrobe?

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

Omg I love maps.

I was in Bath over the weekend, there is a shop there which sells only authentic 200+ maps of Britain, I spend about 30 mins just looking around. 

I was in a vintage (ie: charity) shop on Cradley Heath high-street a few months back and there was an old, local map on one of the old oak bookshelves. I couldn't believe my luck when I saw the £2.50 price tag on it, considering the map opened up to at least a metre wide and was in really good condition.

I trotted up to the till with my coins in hand, happy as a pig in Cradley Heath, only for the shop assistant to tell that was the original price, back in yesteryear, and that it was £15 to buy.

I wasn't that interested in it, so I had to do the ol' trusty "Actually.... I think I've already got this one, anyway" trick.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Schools mostly isn't it?

Some very busy roads around the schools near where i live, so they (the lollipop men and women) are really worthwhile and greatly appreciated.

The one I saw was about 10 minutes walk from the closest school. Most kids are with adults these days anyways from what I have seen 

Â