General Chat

Stevo985

Just diagnosed this morning with something called Meniere's disease. It's nothing scary but it is very annoying. Sort of relieved to have an explanation for the dizziness and tinnitus I've been having. I wonder if anyone here has had it?

What a day! Next thing I know, someone's going to be telling me that Santa doesn't exist! 

It's a good job BOF rather than Bicks was the mod on duty. :)

• Like 2

Peer group pressure is more powerful than the desire to 'better oneself'.

I'm interested in Britain's benefits system. I worked for the old DSS at a JobCentre in London for a while before I started in the newspapers in London, and it always struck me as rather benign compared to the States' "safety net", which is far different and much much less generous.

But I definitely saw a darker side in the UK, too -- an entrenched benefits subculture in north London, and it wasn't pretty -- yet it somehow seemed happier to me than the US version. There WAS a lot of mental illness, substance abuse, and a seemingly internalised lack of ambition -- people who maybe once had a desire to work but lacked self-belief to such an extent they would continually shoot themselves in the foot when on the verge of a better life.

Another dimension in the UK are vestiges and shadows of the old class system. It may be mostly gone in name, but it persists within the English mind, and it really must be smashed forever.  

[Add lots of guns and racism, and an even deeper hopelessness, and you get the US version, by the way.]

I like Mooney's point but you gotta have those healthy peers do, and where do they come from?

There are class systems everywhere. It's simply propaganda telling us we're all equal and in the same club that has us believe that there is none, for example, in the US and it's almost gone from the UK, if we could just get rid of Lord & Lady rascals.

• Like 2

Had a great evening at Legia Warsaw v Lechia Gdansk tonight. One of the best footballing experiences of my life. Things I'm just not used to seeing at a football match these days.

- Singing from the home fans ALL game.

- No moans from the crowd if a player made a mistake

- A comfortable (4-1) home win

- Attractive football from both sides

Just diagnosed this morning with something called Meniere's disease. It's nothing scary but it is very annoying. Sort of relieved to have an explanation for the dizziness and tinnitus I've been having. I wonder if anyone here has had it?

What a day! Next thing I know, someone's going to be telling me that Santa doesn't exist! 

Might be an expensive cure, but a cure nonetheless

• Like 1

Had a great evening at Legia Warsaw v Lechia Gdansk tonight. One of the best footballing experiences of my life. Things I'm just not used to seeing at a football match these days.

i went to a game in Beijing ( Beijing Guoan FC )  once and it was the best atmosphere I've ever witnessed at a game ...fans bouncing around , drums banging , even a few fireworks .... also a 4-1 win but definitely not attractive football from both sides , i reckon I could have got a game if I'd bought my boots with me 

• Like 1

I saw a Skonto Riga game while I was in Latvia and there were definitely a few new experiences for me.

Lager was supplied by 1 person from one single tap.

Tickets were given out by an old woman on a makeshift table, the old price was simply crossed out and replaced by a euro amount

Also a very comfortable home win (not used to that)

i went to a game in Beijing ( Beijing Guoan FC )  once and it was the best atmosphere I've ever witnessed at a game ...fans bouncing around , drums banging , even a few fireworks .... also a 4-1 win but definitely not attractive football from both sides , i reckon I could have got a game if I'd bought my boots with me 

I went to see Guoan once, great atmosphere! Only the one goal though.

I still think Germany is the best blend of atmosphere, quality of football, value for money though.

One of my more interesting away trips was at Celtic.

Four of us had tickets in with the home fans, so that's where we sat. Game started and 4 of us in a crowd of about 40,000 start singing non-stop for the away team (european qualifier). The Celtic folk around us thought it was hysterically funny, everyone wanted their photo with us, loads of really funny 'bantz' back and fore.

After about 10 to 15 minutes the stewards worked it out and waded in to fish us out - which itself nearly caused a riot. They were going to eject us from the stadium but were persuaded to put us in the away section - with the rest of the bus full of away supporters.

Interestingly, once we were separated and penned, we had dogs abuse from the home fans who now appeared to want to kill us. Had a telling off from the police, then at the end of the game they let us go on the pitch to take photos.

It was when Tommy Johnson had recently moved back up there. We did lots for community relations by starting a chant of 'super super Tom' which left him utterly bemused. He jogged over at the end to give us a little hand clap of our own, the four of us greeted him with a quick rendition of 'Villa, Villa'. Which got a thumbs up.

It was an odd weekend.

• Like 3

House phone rang earlier so knew it was 99% chance someone trying to sell me something. 

It was a guy sounding like calling from an Indian call centre, he was telling me I had a £5k loan in 2004 and I was due £2100 back because of PPI on it. I certainly don't recall the loan but stayed on the line anyway. He then told me I had the loan with AA finance (now I knew for certain I hadn't had it), I started paying for it in March 2004 and finished in September 2009 and most importantly I had never claimed PPI, he made sure I wrote these 4 points down... I was like ok...

He then said he was passing me over to someone else and they would only ask me the 4 questions which I now had the answers too. I hung up.

So it seems like "they" are now getting people to go along with fake claims in the hope they will not be challenged. I don't want to be a part of that thank you very much but I am sure some will.

Â