General Chat

Stevo985

OK, I gotta close down our swimming pool for winter today. Yes, incredibly, I somehow have an in-ground swimming pool at my new house. Never done this before. Hope I don't break it. I'm supposed to blow all the water out of the pumps and lines and everything or it can wreck the pool equipment. I guess because of the super low temps in winter. Gotta new shopvac, but still even after checking the web, it all seems a bit mysterious to me.

Edited by Plastic Man

This is crazy. A small independent shop being targeted. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-34373485

Activists opposed to what they claim is the gentrification of parts of east London threw paint and daubed the word "scum" on a business selling cereal.

The owners of the Cereal Killer Cafe said staff were "absolutely terrified" when protesters targeted the shop on Saturday night.

Police said the disorder, which spread into Brick Lane, began at about 20:00 BST and lasted for several hours.

One man was arrested on suspicion of causing criminal damage.

Edited by Xela

Activists opposed to what they claim is the gentrification of parts of east London threw paint and daubed the word "scum" on a business selling cereal.

The owners of the Cereal Killer Cafe said staff were "absolutely terrified" when protesters targeted the shop on Saturday night.

Police said the disorder, which spread into Brick Lane, began at about 20:00 BST and lasted for several hours.

PR stuff?

Amazing. Very similar kinds of anger in Brooklyn.

It's no excuse, none at all, but I think the 'reason' was the perceived creeping gentrification of a bit posh roughing it in the east end. A cafe selling expensive cereals as a niche market to appeal to hipsters middle class lifestyle chasers.

According to many on social media, they had to go past Pret to get to this place. But left it untouched. This suggests to me they need Pret to be open Monday morning.

• Like 3

House phone rang earlier so knew it was 99% chance someone trying to sell me something. 

It was a guy sounding like calling from an Indian call centre, he was telling me I had a £5k loan in 2004 and I was due £2100 back because of PPI on it. I certainly don't recall the loan but stayed on the line anyway. He then told me I had the loan with AA finance (now I knew for certain I hadn't had it), I started paying for it in March 2004 and finished in September 2009 and most importantly I had never claimed PPI, he made sure I wrote these 4 points down... I was like ok...

He then said he was passing me over to someone else and they would only ask me the 4 questions which I now had the answers too. I hung up.

So it seems like "they" are now getting people to go along with fake claims in the hope they will not be challenged. I don't want to be a part of that thank you very much but I am sure some will.

I had a similar thing recently. My sister parked her car next to mine and the wind caught the door, slamming it into the side of my car. Small dent, quickly sorted by her insurance company. I've had so many calls since trying to convince me to make a claim for my injuries. I generally try to keep them on the line as long as possible as I guess if they're busy with me, they won't be giving someone else the opportunity to con someone else into making a fraudulent claim. 

I kept telling the guy that I wasn't hurt but he kept telling me to say that I was for and that I could get £8,000 if I did. He was outright telling me to lie about it even though I'd told him I was sat in a restaurant when it happened. In answer to my question why would I lie to make a claim, his response was "for £8,000, obviously. Who doesn't want £8,000?". 

Surely if this is their tactic, they must get the occasional bite or they wouldn't bother. This world is going to hell.

And everyone is annoyed about rising insurance costs. Including, presumably, the people making these claims. 

i had a similar thing a few months ago but the other way round (im sure i mentioned it on here) but ill say it again, as i was reversing out of a parking space a woman drove into the back of me, very low speed, no damage, both agreed no claims would be made, but i reported the incident any to my insurer incase she decided to claim i wrote her car off , sent off a load of pictures, a good few hours on the phone explaining the situation, anyway a few weeks go by when i get a voicemail from my insurer asking me to call them urgently, i do, and i was asked if i had contact details for the other driver, so they could phone and ask her why she hadnt made a claim. truly baffling and all i can deduce from it was all insurance companys are in it together, making money from these minor accidents by selling on driver details to these crooks who phone you up inducing you to make a claim. 

It's no excuse, none at all, but I think the 'reason' was the perceived creeping gentrification of a bit posh roughing it in the east end. A cafe selling expensive cereals as a niche market to appeal to hipsters middle class lifestyle chasers.

According to many on social media, they had to go past Pret to get to this place. But left it untouched. This suggests to me they need Pret to be open Monday morning.

Much of my problem with modern day 'activists' perfectly captured there Mr P, thank you. You vote for the world you want with the pennies you spend.

I think I need a tonic of some description.  For no apparent reason I've been feeling miserable for the past few days and effectively spent the weekend in bed because I had literally no good reasons to get up.  If I didn't have work today I'd probably still be there.  Grrrr, not good.

I think I need a tonic of some description.  For no apparent reason I've been feeling miserable for the past few days and effectively spent the weekend in bed because I had literally no good reasons to get up.  If I didn't have work today I'd probably still be there.  Grrrr, not good.

I know you've had a bad year, Bri, and that sounds like a case of clinical depression. Keep an eye on it and get some professional advice if it continues.

• Like 1

Cheers Mike.  I will of course keep an eye on it.  It's a funny one though because it's not like I want to do it.  So I'm not a willing participant per se (which would be much worse), so I have that in my favour.  Hoping it's just a passing thing.

• Like 1

Cheers Mike.  I will of course keep an eye on it.  It's a funny one though because it's not like I want to do it.  So I'm not a willing participant per se (which would be much worse), so I have that in my favour.  Hoping it's just a passing thing.

Plenty of air and sunshine mate

• Like 2

A duvet day times three, eh? Sorry to hear and hope you feel better, BOF. Been there!

• Like 1

Thinking of starting a sideline business running alongside my regular job which will consist of out of hours coaching/tutoring, just myself to begin, has anyone been down this road that might be keen to share their experiences?

• Like 1

Thinking of starting a sideline business running alongside my regular job which will consist of out of hours coaching/tutoring, just myself to begin, has anyone been down this road that might be keen to share their experiences?

Check that your employer allows this. Pay for financial advice.

Otherwise, go for it.

Otherwise, go for it.

Financial advise in terms of setting up a business?

Otherwise, go for it.

Financial advise in terms of setting up a business?

Advice :)

About making sure you've registered properly with the Revenue (you'll have to start doing a tax return) and are keeping adequate records. You don't need to do this, but I'd recommend it as they'll be able to advise you whether and when to form a limited company and/or register for VAT.

• Like 1

Â