General Chat

Stevo985

Im getting married this afternoon. Just wanted to say a huge thank you to those on here who helped me during a dark period of my life a few years ago. You have my thanks and gratitude.

At one point I never thought id find anyone let alone being able to tie the knot. So surreal.

Anyway, thanks again guys and gals, I'll post a few pics next week.

Hope your day went well. All the best.

• Like 1

I know there are some regulations in place that prevent you from buying a certain amount at one time, although I'm not exactly sure what the point is when you can just buy more at another store.

I buy Nurofen plus for my knees and get a grilling that a Gestapo officer would be proud of  and then lectures about how they are addictive ( they really aren't I've been taking them for years  ) and that I shouldn't  take them for more than 3 days  ..... and they ask me if I want the 32  tablet box  that would last for around 5 -  10 days depending on how big a dose I took each time

Not wishing to hector.... or lecture.....and with full realisation that I have a hugely tainted opinion on this subject, but having just buried my brother who's codeine addiction played a direct part in his death I am able to confirm that yes - they are highly addictive and yes they will mess you up if you don't follow the instructions/advice. 

Codeine is basically heroin with Big Pharma's smiley face on it. Why they combine it with Ibuprofen that will rot your stomach is beyond me but there we go. Neither Codeine nor the combo with Ibuprofen should be available without a prescription IMO. 

• Like 1

I know there are some regulations in place that prevent you from buying a certain amount at one time, although I'm not exactly sure what the point is when you can just buy more at another store.

I buy Nurofen plus for my knees and get a grilling that a Gestapo officer would be proud of  and then lectures about how they are addictive ( they really aren't I've been taking them for years  ) and that I shouldn't  take them for more than 3 days  ..... and they ask me if I want the 32  tablet box  that would last for around 5 -  10 days depending on how big a dose I took each time

Not wishing to hector.... or lecture.....and with full realisation that I have a hugely tainted opinion on this subject, but having just buried my brother who's codeine addiction played a direct part in his death I am able to confirm that yes - they are highly addictive and yes they will mess you up if you don't follow the instructions/advice. 

Codeine is basically heroin with Big Pharma's smiley face on it. Why they combine it with Ibuprofen that will rot your stomach is beyond me but there we go. Neither Codeine nor the combo with Ibuprofen should be available without a prescription IMO. 

Sorry Eames I'd forgotten about that I apologies for appearing to trivialise things

Sorry Eames I'd forgotten about that I apologies for appearing to trivialise things

No offence taken old chap.... and certainly no fault on your part. 

Im getting married this afternoon. Just wanted to say a huge thank you to those on here who helped me during a dark period of my life a few years ago. You have my thanks and gratitude.

At one point I never thought id find anyone let alone being able to tie the knot. So surreal.

Anyway, thanks again guys and gals, I'll post a few pics next week.

Congrats.    

Do we all get to come to a VT party in your back garden?   

• Like 1

Today's awkward conversation with Tonyh29 jnr ( aged 10 )

He asked me "why do prisoners have to be careful when picking up the soap in the showers ? "

since he started getting a train to school with the older boys question time is getting harder by the week 

Though tbh I was so relieved it wasn't about why a man was sticking his knob in a pig i let out a huge sigh of relief 

• Like 3

I live beside a social housing development. In recent weeks it's gotten more crap around here, from getting hit into the face by a 'wino' while walking to the shop in the middle of the day and then last week getting egged as I stood on my balcony. Anyway tonight a group of about 30 kids/adolescents/adults spent about an hour carrying around wooden pallets in the rain, then they just started breaking them up into pieces. In the absolutely lashing rain. There really seems to be absolutely nothing to do in the evening for the young people who live in that estate. I can fully understand their interest in egging my building if the alternative in terms of fun is breaking up pieces of wood in the rain. The true alternative would be getting mouldy drunk or trying a bit of smack. So it's no surprise that eventually they end up doing that. On a more long term basis. 

I suppose my question is, if this is as good as they can come with, is it that the youth clubs etc in the area are just non-functional, or they don't exist, or the yutes just prefer breaking up bits of wood on their own terms? I appreciate that people on this site won't know the area specifically, but I'm talking generally. Has anyone else experienced such boredom amongst the working class youth where they live, and what's the deal?

My missus has had a career in various forms of yoof work. She's got quals, does voluntary and has had paid work. By default over the years I've helped out a little bit. More in prep than actually dealing with yoofs - my mouth runs off too fast to be too involved at the work face as it were.

But generally, there is no silver bullet for a community that has got stuck. I've seen literally hundreds of thousands of pounds spent on state of the art facilities, for them not to get used for weeks because going inside the building might look uncool. Eventually for someone to burn it down. When questioned why there was an arson attack, the gathering crowd has cited boredom as a reason 'nuffin to do around here'. They've burnt down a building with a cafe, a gym, a DJ studio and lots lots more, because there was nuffin to do.

It's a mindset that can take a long time to turn around. It's a really tricky one. 

• Like 1

Until at least 16 a significant amount of my time was spent being extremely bored and smashing various things. Things got easier when alcohol entered the equation, although I was still extremely bored but at least drunk enough not to care too much. I went to one youth club in a middle-class area, full of middle-class kids, and it was OK and importantly led to teens from both sides sharing a space and getting along fine. Generally time was spent roaming the streets and being a minor menace to society. I didn't really hang around the area I was from, which was more working class, because you risked getting your shit kicked in by a roaming gang of sectarian dickheads, or risked becoming a glue sniffing fiend like far too many kids I knew.

Anyway, I certainly recognise that boredom. There should be more stuff for teenagers to do because I think we underestimate how boredom can eat away at people. Although, we can't forget that at that age a lot has to do with your home life and how good that is. Plenty of kids just end up hanging out in the streets all night because home is shit.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

That's usually why you get boxing clubs in those areas. Simultaneously gets them off the street and lets them batter the shit out of something/someone in the process.

I was lucky enough to have a garden that had a back gate which lead onto Woodgate Valley Country Park.  The area directly behind that gate was about an acre of grass, so my dad cut half of it into a football pitch, complete with wooden goals/nets - we used to 5-a-side most nights with the kids from the estate which backed onto the same area, but from the other side, have some awesome memories from that.

The area was also used as a water slide when we took long plastic sheets and a hose pipe in the summer, handmade go-karts we made and the track too (our handmade kart was unfortunately robbed, the bad part of backing onto a Park is the theives jumping over the fence and taking what they liked from our sheds, including my 8th birthday present of a set of golf clubs :().

Then obviously when I was 10-15 the country park was basically a rally track for our bike races, I think I lived in quad-skates too for about 2 years outside.

I was outside 80% of the time when not at school/weekends/term breaks etc.

Life was awesome.  Never bored and there were probably 15 kids my age and my brothers age (6 years older) for us to do things with - none of which were "naughty kids".

• Like 1

Until at least 16 a significant amount of my time was spent being extremely bored and smashing various things. Things got easier when alcohol entered the equation, although I was still extremely bored but at least drunk enough not to care too much. I went to one youth club in a middle-class area, full of middle-class kids, and it was OK and importantly led to teens from both sides sharing a space and getting along fine. Generally time was spent roaming the streets and being a minor menace to society. I didn't really hang around the area I was from, which was more working class, because you risked getting your shit kicked in by a roaming gang of sectarian dickheads, or risked becoming a glue sniffing fiend like far too many kids I knew.

Anyway, I certainly recognise that boredom. There should be more stuff for teenagers to do because I think we underestimate how boredom can eat away at people. Although, we can't forget that at that age a lot has to do with your home life and how good that is. Plenty of kids just end up hanging out in the streets all night because home is shit.

I never got bored when i was young.   Just had a couple of mates and we used to ride our bikes everywhere.

Played in the woods, made a dam in the stream, fell in the swamp, built dens under trees, etc.

Didn't need money or props...  it was great fun.  Not sure why some people get bored so easily - my sister was one of those, she said she was bored at least 5 times a day between the ages of 8-18.

• Like 1

Â