General Chat

Stevo985

Do you chaps over the water have to be interrogated by the pharmacist before they issue you with nurofen or is it just in Ireland   

Ahhh, pharmacists.  I can never hold in the patronising 'oh here we go' smirk when they pipe up.  Stop asking me questions.  You tried to be a doctor.  You're a newsagent in a white coat.  Give me my drowzy Benylin (no, the non-drowzy doesn't f**king work) and my packet of fisherman's friend and we can all get on with our day.

**** ing THIS. My missus has an ongoing prescription for a rheumatoid arthritis drug (methotrexate). She's been taking it for years, and will do until she dies. The doctors will only prescribe two weeks worth at a time, which pisses her off mightily. On top of that, the pharmacists CONSTANTLY **** up the prescription - either the wrong amount, the wrong dosage, the wrong brand (one particular brand causes an allergic reaction - they know about this), or it simply isn't ready on the day it's supposed to be ("Can you just pop back tomorrow?").

If they're like this with all their customers, they're probably killing people.

my co-proxamol was like that  .. used to get really really bad migraines when I was younger , the type where killing yourself  with a blunt spoon seems a good way of stopping the pain and the vomiting

so I had a regular prescription setup by the doctor to save me having to get an appointment each time   .. I'd go in the doctors reception give my name and the receptionist would come back and say we don't have a repeat prescription for you so you'll need to book an appointment to see the doctor   ... I'd usually get the receptionist to pop in and check with him between appointments and she would come back apologetic and give me my prescription  ..... until we did the dance a month or so later   .... it wouldn't have been so bad if it wasn't nearly always the same bloody receptionist every time

Do you chaps over the water have to be interrogated by the pharmacist before they issue you with nurofen or is it just in Ireland   

Ahhh, pharmacists.  I can never hold in the patronising 'oh here we go' smirk when they pipe up.  Stop asking me questions.  You tried to be a doctor.  You're a newsagent in a white coat.  Give me my drowzy Benylin (no, the non-drowzy doesn't f**king work) and my packet of fisherman's friend and we can all get on with our day. 

**** ing THIS. My missus has an ongoing prescription for a rheumatoid arthritis drug (methotrexate). She's been taking it for years, and will do until she dies. The doctors will only prescribe two weeks worth at a time, which pisses her off mightily. On top of that, the pharmacists CONSTANTLY **** up the prescription - either the wrong amount, the wrong dosage, the wrong brand (one particular brand causes an allergic reaction - they know about this), or it simply isn't ready on the day it's supposed to be ("Can you just pop back tomorrow?").

Why would you keep going back if they're that bad? If you don't have a lot of choice locally, there are pharmacists who deliver.

Why would you keep going back if they're that bad? If you don't have a lot of choice locally, there are pharmacists who deliver.

surely it's the butchers who deliver ?

I'll get me coat

We've considered this. Trouble is, this pharmacist is right next door to the doctors' surgery, the one they are supposed to have the well-coordinated relationship with. It's the nearest one (a short drive or a long walk away). The others are quite a bit further, and who's to say they wouldn't screw it up too? Likewise, if the delivery service gets it wrong, it can be a real ballsache - always seems to happen the day before we're going on holiday, for example.

That Ahmed guy who made the clock and got arrested. I haven't seen the clock, but my assumption is it didn't look like a Casio. It starts beeping in class and then English teacher finds it in this guy's backpack. Some ticking and beeping thing with wires coming out of it and some sort of LED display showing the time. Yeah I might have cleared the classroom as well. Does it make me islamaphobic that I'd be less panicked were it a white child? Yes. But if I find a beeping ticking thing in anyone's backpack, an item that his Tech teacher told him earlier in the day to not show to anyone else (because it looks like something from Die Hard), I'm not going to use it to check the time. 

He probably shouldn't have been arrested, but the English teacher shouldn't be treated like some sort of islamaphobic bigot because he played it safe. Hindsight is 20/20

• Like 1

Does it make me islamaphobic that I'd be less panicked were it a white child? Yes.

Good of you to admit, and it shouldn't take much to realise that 'played it safe' meant racial profiling & the teacher is indeed a bigot. It's a shocking story but not at all surprising as Glenn Greenwald noted

The behavior here is nothing short of demented. And it’s easy to mock, which in turn has the effect of belittling it and casting it as some sort of bizarre aberration. But it’s not that. It’s the opposite of aberrational. It’s the natural, inevitable byproduct of the culture of fear and demonization that has festered and been continuously inflamed for many years. The circumstances that led to this are systemic and cultural, not aberrational.

article here

Ahmed's is the briefcase.

The middle one is a real time bomb timer.

The bottom one is, I believe, Fat Man

to be fair, you can see how the original suspicion could have been raised, I think this is more about 4 police and photos emerging of a 14 year old boy in handcuffs

Edited by chrisp65

to be fair, you can see how the original suspicion could have been raised, I think this is more about 4 police and photos emerging of a 14 year old boy in handcuffs

Ahmed isn't the only one with a rookie error it seems

(only 2 images in your post ... Just text for fat man )

its a shame its come to this but if the teacher felt any danger then she done the right thing in terms of clearing the classroom, fact of the matter is you do get people blowing themselves up but would she of done the same if it was some white kid? i imagine ahmed is very bemused about the whole thing.

Parody worthy moment (quoted from CED's Greenwald link on the previous page):

According to the BBC, “police spokesman James McLellan said that, throughout the interview, Ahmed had maintained that he built only a clock, but said the boy was unable to give a ‘broader explanation’ as to what it would be used for.”

That's a 'broader explanation' of the uses of a clock

• Like 1

Last year in third grade, my son made this mock-up of a biomedical machine to pluck ticks from the skin. Has batteries, wires, straps with velcro connectors --- looks way scarier than a clock. He brought it to school and showed his teacher, too. And all was fine.

IMG_0777

Edited by Plastic Man
  • Like 1

bunch of amateurs

we used to play aerosol roulette - wait until it's dark, light a bonfire on the beach, lob in an aerosol can and stand around the fire...and wait

at some point the can will explode, blowing out the fire whilst showering everyone with ash and sparks, once your eyes adjust you look around the group to see who's been shot and is down on the sand with a can shape wound somewhere on their body

we had to make our own fun

• Like 3

bunch of amateurs

we used to play aerosol roulette - wait until it's dark, light a bonfire on the beach, lob in an aerosol can and stand around the fire...and wait

at some point the can will explode, blowing out the fire whilst showering everyone with ash and sparks, once your eyes adjust you look around the group to see who's been shot and is down on the sand with a can shape wound somewhere on their body

we had to make our own fun

When i was about 20 I was carrying some prototype product that happened to be aerosol cans  , probably had about 100 +  of them in the boot of my car and in the back

Anyhow's for some reason my Ford Orion decided to catch fire under the bonnet as I was driving down the M11 at 2am , my attempts to put the fire out by weeing on it weren't all that successful and of course opening the bonnet to do so meant more air got in to fuel the flames ... so plan B was to get us much out of the car as I could before  it was all destroyed .. I rescued my cassette box with all my mix tapes first and then went to work on everything else as I was with my head in the boot the front 2 tyres on the car exploded and with my only really experience of car fires being Hollywood (i.e big explosions ) at that point my mojo went and I decided I'd rescued enough and I walked away .. at which point the fire engine turned up   ... I walked up to the lead man to tell him the car was full of aerosol cans  but got met with a  stand back sonny we'll take car of this little fire  ...

Needless to say about 30 seconds later there was a  rather amusing scene of fireman running around the hard shoulder ducking for cover as aerosol cans started going off in all directions  .... alas no can shape wounds though

• Like 4

Â