General Chat

Stevo985

Only boring people are bored :)

Was what my mom used to say.

I always knew I was bored when I used to sit on the sofa upside down.

Only stupid people get bored is what we used to be told :)  Resourcefulness innit.

I was lucky enough to have a garden that had a back gate which lead onto Woodgate Valley Country Park.  The area directly behind that gate was about an acre of grass, so my dad cut half of it into a football pitch, complete with wooden goals/nets - we used to 5-a-side most nights with the kids from the estate which backed onto the same area, but from the other side, have some awesome memories from that.

The area was also used as a water slide when we took long plastic sheets and a hose pipe in the summer, handmade go-karts we made and the track too (our handmade kart was unfortunately robbed, the bad part of backing onto a Park is the theives jumping over the fence and taking what they liked from our sheds, including my 8th birthday present of a set of golf clubs :().

Then obviously when I was 10-15 the country park was basically a rally track for our bike races, I think I lived in quad-skates too for about 2 years outside.

I was outside 80% of the time when not at school/weekends/term breaks etc.

Life was awesome.  Never bored and there were probably 15 kids my age and my brothers age (6 years older) for us to do things with - none of which were "naughty kids".

How wonderfully middle class!

I was lucky enough to have a garden that had a back gate which lead onto Woodgate Valley Country Park.  The area directly behind that gate was about an acre of grass, so my dad cut half of it into a football pitch, complete with wooden goals/nets - we used to 5-a-side most nights with the kids from the estate which backed onto the same area, but from the other side, have some awesome memories from that.

The area was also used as a water slide when we took long plastic sheets and a hose pipe in the summer, handmade go-karts we made and the track too (our handmade kart was unfortunately robbed, the bad part of backing onto a Park is the theives jumping over the fence and taking what they liked from our sheds, including my 8th birthday present of a set of golf clubs :().

Then obviously when I was 10-15 the country park was basically a rally track for our bike races, I think I lived in quad-skates too for about 2 years outside.

Life was awesome.  Never bored and there were probably 15 kids my age and my brothers age (6 years older) for us to do things with - none of which were "naughty kids".

My dad was a bricklayer working 6 days a week and my mom was a school canteen cook, who then took herself back to college at the age of 39 to take up nursery nursing, now a year 2 advance teaching assistant.  My dad is now a project manager.

Middle class? No, but I'm incredibly proud of where my parents have got to given where they were born/bought up, particularly my dad who could have gone down a very different (imo bad) route.

• Like 2

I had scant toys as a kid, but give me a cotton reel and a bit of string tied to it and that literally kept me quiet for hours.

Quite a simple boy huh? ;):P

I think I might have mentioned before on here, never had toys as a kid, once had a pen, and a kaleidoscope, oh and a bike, but I left the bike out once so my dad took it up the tip. This unfortunately is all true, but i made my own fun, hence the cotton reel and string.

My dad was a bricklayer working 6 days a week and my mom was a school canteen cook, who then took herself back to college at the age of 39 to take up nursery nursing, now a year 2 advance teaching assistant.  My dad is now a project manager.

Middle class? No, but I'm incredibly proud of where my parents have got to given where they were born/bought up, particularly my dad who could have gone down a very different (imo bad) route.

Great story and not dissimilar to my parents. My parents had very little money when they got together having grown up in Kingstanding and Ladywood respectively and got a little flat in Erdington, which I was spent the first 14 years of my life in. My Dad used to work ridiculous hours (sometimes 80 plus hours a week for months on end) for the overtime and my Mom used to shack shelves at a supermarket in order to save up enough money to buy their 'dream home', which was nothing flasher than a 3 bed semi in Sutton Coldfield. My Dad still works full time now, 49 years and counting although he doesn't break sweat in his job now! He plans to retire next year and they are going to move away to live in a country cottage, which is how they always planned to retire.

• Like 4

I was lucky enough to have a garden that had a back gate which lead onto Woodgate Valley Country Park.  The area directly behind that gate was about an acre of grass, so my dad cut half of it into a football pitch, complete with wooden goals/nets - we used to 5-a-side most nights with the kids from the estate which backed onto the same area, but from the other side, have some awesome memories from that.The area was also used as a water slide when we took long plastic sheets and a hose pipe in the summer, handmade go-karts we made and the track too (our handmade kart was unfortunately robbed, the bad part of backing onto a Park is the theives jumping over the fence and taking what they liked from our sheds, including my 8th birthday present of a set of golf clubs [emoji20]).

Great story and not dissimilar to my parents. My parents had very little money when they got together having grown up in Kingstanding and Ladywood respectively and got a little flat in Erdington, which I was spent the first 14 years of my life in. My Dad used to work ridiculous hours (sometimes 80 plus hours a week for months on end) for the overtime and my Mom used to shack shelves at a supermarket in order to save up enough money to buy their 'dream home', which was nothing flasher than a 3 bed semi in Sutton Coldfield. My Dad still works full time now, 49 years and counting although he doesn't break sweat in his job now! He plans to retire next year and they are going to move away to live in a country cottage, which is how they always planned to retire.

A flat?!

Tramps.

I was lucky enough to have a garden that had a back gate which lead onto Woodgate Valley Country Park.  The area directly behind that gate was about an acre of grass, so my dad cut half of it into a football pitch, complete with wooden goals/nets - we used to 5-a-side most nights with the kids from the estate which backed onto the same area, but from the other side, have some awesome memories from that.The area was also used as a water slide when we took long plastic sheets and a hose pipe in the summer, handmade go-karts we made and the track too (our handmade kart was unfortunately robbed, the bad part of backing onto a Park is the theives jumping over the fence and taking what they liked from our sheds, including my 8th birthday present of a set of golf clubs [emoji20]).

Bloody toff

• Like 1

My Dad still works full time now, 49 years and counting although he doesn't break sweat in his job now! He plans to retire next year and they are going to move away to live in a country cottage, which is how they always planned to retire.

You kids are young. Sheesh! Your parents' stories are similar to mine, but a whole generation removed. My dad's grew up impoverished in the West Midlands by today's standards, but almost everyone around them was the same, so he tells me they didn't "feel" poor. They grew a lot of veggies and caught rabbits, etc. in Worcestershire. There was no serious hunger, luckily. It was a narrow world. When he was older, traveling to Brum and seeing Aston Villa was a life-changing, utterly larger-than-words spectacle that I don't think many people nowadays can really grasp.

• Like 1

My Dad still works full time now, 49 years and counting although he doesn't break sweat in his job now! He plans to retire next year and they are going to move away to live in a country cottage, which is how they always planned to retire.

You kids are young. Sheesh! Your parents' stories are similar to mine, but a whole generation removed. My dad's grew up impoverished in the West Midlands by today's standards, but almost everyone around them was the same, so he tells me they didn't "feel" poor. They grew a lot of veggies and caught rabbits, etc. in Worcestershire. There was no serious hunger, luckily. It was a narrow world. When he was older, traveling to Brum and seeing Aston Villa was a life-changing, utterly larger-than-words spectacle that I don't think many people nowadays can really grasp.

I felt the same when I saw Didier Agathe playing for us, just, a life changing experience.

• Like 1

Â