General Chat

Stevo985

mjmooney, on 26 Apr 2013 - 10:00 AM, said:

This is it. the charts are simply not relevant in the way they used to be.

Incidentally, a friend of mine was involved in a chart rigging scam in the 70s. Him and a bunch of his student mates were paid by A&M to go round record shops buying "Pick Up the Pieces" by Hudson Ford, in an attempt to get it into the charts.

Unfortunately, they did it so hamfistedly and obviously they got rumbled, and A&M got their wrists slapped.

Still went on in the mid to late eighties, I never got caught though.

Yes and they also walk fish.

Saw a Korean chap over here recently taking a trout for a walk. Had to stop him and explain that while I'm all for cultural diversity, dragging a trout on a leash through a park is pushing things a little. He asked why, I said there's a trail of viscera on the path, and an eyeball got stuck under some kids shoe.

• Like 2

Closer to 30 than I am to 25 today. Spent half of it in bed as I'm on nights. Up harborne later for some sabai sabai goodness.

Closer to 20 than I am to 30...

... Just wanted to make you feel old ;)

Edited by villaajax
  • Like 1

Ha cheers guys, just got back as I've got work tomorrow, like a complete word removed i didn't think to book it off. D'oh! At least I've got 2 weeks off after tomorrow so can get pissed then instead. Plus, while i was out I met a girl who I went to uni with but haven't seen for years. Seeing her next week. Not a bad birthday. 

30th isn't bothering me that much, planning something big to celebrate (its next year), at the moment its a Dortmund game in that stand (football hipster - did the nou camp for my 21st) or a gourmet break at a big name chef's place, was thinking northcote manor with nigel howarth

I remember 18 being a big deal.

I'd been drinking in a couple of boozers since 15 and I'd been going to a few nightclubs since I was 16. So suddenly being 18 and legit kinda took the edge off it all. I didn't have that superior feeling of i) having fooled the staff, 3) being younger than everyone else and b: fooled the smilie code 

After that, I really haven't been overly bothered about birthdays, I'd go as far as to say there are times I genuinely have to have a little pause and think as to how old I am.

Yeah, I felt exactly the same way about 18, for the same reasons. 

All the other supposed "landmark" ones since haven't bothered me either way. I had a party for my 40th (see the "Mixtape" thread), but it wasn't any big midlife crisis or anything. 

I do all the things I want to do, so age is irrelevant. I wouldn't want to go back to being 18 again (or any age for that matter). 

I expect I'll feel different when I start falling apart over the next 20 years or so, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. 

One game at a time, and all that. 

I've said before on here but I absolutely love my birthday. If you can't celebrate being here what can you celebrate?

Plus, it's a nice reminder of getting your fastest swimmer badge.

Edited by Designer1

I spent my 18th over the road in the pub, I had 4 pints and went gone because I was off work with a bad back, didn't bother me at all because birthday's have never meant anything to me, and my 18th was even more of a non event due to the reasons people have already said, I'd already been drinking in pubs and going to clubs since I was 15.

I was going to cook myself a nice big Sunday dinner today but instead I have decided on having a few cans and then popping over the pub, just cant be arsed to **** about and cook for myself, I always find it easier to make a dinner for a few people rather than just 1 person.

I'll be 34 in a couple of months and to be honest, I don't really care. Yeah I look back on pictures 10 years ago when I was fitter and slimmer etc and wish I could go back to that but on the flip side, I was always skint then. 

Not ever been fussed about landmark birthday's as such 18th , 21st was just another day  ..... but for my 40th I flew across the date line so I turned  40 in Auckland in a night club , woke up a few hours later did a couple of hours boat trip around Auckland and then went to the airport and took a flight to Apia in Samoa where I was 39 when I landed .... went out to a bar / nightclub and turned 40 again ... took a day trip the next morning to Western Samoa by plane so technically I visited 3 countries on my 40th

Samoa has moved back inside the date line so I don't think with current flight schedules it can be done anymore .. only Tahiti but as the flights land at 5 mins to midnight any delay means you will be in mid air

• Like 1

At 18 I was pleased I'd be able to vote, apart from that I'm really not bothered about birthdays.

Then you realised that they are all as bad as each other. 

Â