General Chat

Stevo985

This is on our University home page at the moment:

15 Apr 2013

Dr John Baruch from the School of Computing, Informatics and Media is organising a trip to see the Northern Lights in Norway.

It may be the last time for a hundred years that we will have the opportunity to see the spectacular display that is Aurora Borealis.

Is it unusual for Bradford to make typos (I'm assuming it was genuinely an error) like this?

Edited by legov

This is on our University home page at the moment:

15 Apr 2013

Dr John Baruch from the School of Computing, Informatics and Media is organising a trip to see the Northern Lights in Norway.

It may be the last time for a hundred years that we will have the opportunity to see the spectacular display that is Aurora Borealis.

Is it unusual for Bradford to make typos (I'm assuming it was genuinely an error) like this?

They don't normally. God (sic) knows I'm critical of this place, but this one has left me baffled. It almost seems like an April fool joke, but it's a bit late for that.

Edited by mjmooney

Random thought.

Is there anything stopping a company producing a song and the buying enough copies themselves to get it to number one?

So for example, if I wrote a song about (as it's me) Land Rovers. Recorded it and made a video and then spent 30 grand buying 30,000 copies to get it to number 1.

That way I'd have what would effectively be a 3 and a half minute advert playing several times a day on dozens of radio stations and TV channels. Surely the cost of that sort of airtime for a conventional advert would be a lot more?

Plus you'd get some of the money back as you'd be the artist. Plus some idiots would buy the song anyway so you'd get money from that.

Are there rules about this?

Can't see there being a rule. You're free to buy it. Make it a charity record too and you'll get goodwill purchases and no doubt some tax breaks too.

rigging the pop music charts will see your song banned from the chart - but not in a good way, like ding dong or relax were banned and actually got increased publicity. But banned in a simply removed from the list way.

but that's only if you are dumb enough to buy 10,000 copies from the same i.p. address or shop

low level chart rigging is called plugging and was a common thing many record labels used to openly employ people to do

a plugger would give a shop 20 free copies of a single, as they were free, the shop would try and push selling them as all the cash from sales stayed with the shop. But don't worry if you can't sell them, the plugger will be back on Wednesday to buy them back. With his newly acquired pile of 20 singles he originally gave you, then bought off you, he walks into the next record shop on his rounds and hands them over for free....

Just seen on the news that wheelie bins are just being introduced to some areas in Birmingham, and some of the residents ARE NOT HAPPY

?

I find it really amusing, I just presumed wheelie bins were everywhere. Apparently they just pile their rubbish up in black bags liek what you see on documentaries about rubbish tips. But then, to assume does make an ass out of u and me, so.

What i like best about this news story are the reasons that the people who have never had first hand experience with a wheelie bin are giving for them being a TERRIBLE IDEA. They are unsightly, difficult to manoveur (esp for old people), and a liable to 'roll away'. If only they could ask other people who had been using wheelie bins for years how they combatted these issues.

we have all manner of different bags and boxes for different things and they go out on different days

green sealable box with giant handle for food waste which has to be in green bags inside the box - these get picked up every Thursday

green open topped tubs for mixed recyclable waste - glass, tins and paper 1st and 3rd Thursday of month

green open topped tubs for mixed recysclable waste - plastic and cardboard 2nd and 4th Thursday of month

blue open top box for bags of non recyclable waste - every other Thursday

green sack - garden waste - no pick up thru winter, Fridays from March to October

**** me, we've had to have a whole wall turned into a rubbish matrix - sometimes, just to punk it up a bit, I put the wrong stuff out nice n early on the wrong day - sends the street into meltdown as everyone starts swapping what recycling they've put out

(all the above was completely true until they recently announced, just put everything out every Thursday, which is much less complicated, but less fun)

Random thought.

Is there anything stopping a company producing a song and the buying enough copies themselves to get it to number one?

So for example, if I wrote a song about (as it's me) Land Rovers. Recorded it and made a video and then spent 30 grand buying 30,000 copies to get it to number 1.

That way I'd have what would effectively be a 3 and a half minute advert playing several times a day on dozens of radio stations and TV channels. Surely the cost of that sort of airtime for a conventional advert would be a lot more?

Plus you'd get some of the money back as you'd be the artist. Plus some idiots would buy the song anyway so you'd get money from that.

I think it would be banned as I seem to recall a song being investigated years ago due to irregular purchasing patterns. Something to do with influencing/fixing the charts. 

It's possible, I suppose. Book publishers do it all the time.

going back to the card thing -

when I worked at GAME a bloke came in wanting a refund in cash for a game he'd bought, I said sorry mate it was paid for by card, I can only give you a refund on the card it was bought with, he stormed out, came back about 2 hours later with the card, it was his wifes, I refused him the refund with her not being there, he went absolutely **** tits! he'd got a bus home to go get the card and then another bus back in to town! threatened to kill me and all sorts

Random thought.

I had a similar thought the other day. The OH was flicking through the music channels and stopped momentarily on an Ed Sheerhan track (I know). At the bottom left of the screen it said "sold 990,000 copies"

I thought to myself, If I was Ed I'd download another 10,000 copies and make it a cool 1 million selling single.

• Like 1

Just seen on the news that wheelie bins are just being introduced to some areas in Birmingham, and some of the residents ARE NOT HAPPY

?

I find it really amusing, I just presumed wheelie bins were everywhere. Apparently they just pile their rubbish up in black bags liek what you see on documentaries about rubbish tips. But then, to assume does make an ass out of u and me, so.

I've lived in two different areas of Birmingham most of my life and we've never had wheelie bins.

It's always just been chuck your black bags on the curb the night before "rubbish day" and the binman picks them up in the morning.

It's only really annoying when idiots put them out 2 or 3 days before. Looks awful and the foxes get at them.

?

I've lived in two different areas of Birmingham most of my life and we've never had wheelie bins.

It's always just been chuck your black bags on the curb the night before "rubbish day" and the binman picks them up in the morning.

It's only really annoying when idiots put them out 2 or 3 days before. Looks awful and the foxes get at them.

Some bloke came around my area knocking on doors dressed up like a poor man's Foxy Bingo (Imagine how poor that looked) with two scantily-clad ladies who looked freezing telling us how to put our bags out properly and to maybe squeeze a bit of lemon juice on them to put foxes off.

I thought I was hallucinating....I may have been, who knows? But I think it's a bad sign they felt people needed advice on how to put the bin bags out.

This is Foxy Bingo for anyone who doesn't know -

mrfoxy.png

Â