General Chat

Stevo985

So my brother who has been a functional codeine addict for many years is in ICU. Multi -organ failure and a flesh eating infection they can't treat because he's too weak.

Guys/girls....whatever is going in your lives, whatever mess you're in....talk to someone....because the mess you make if you don't is always worse.

Sorry to hear that mate.

I'm assuming the codeine was from Cocodamol? The only reason I ask is that I had a (relatively mild by comparison) addiction to them a few years ago after a couple of operations in a row got me hooked, and that took me a while to break.

Fingers crossed for your brother.

After the spleens mate?

I've been down the road of back pain and strong medication and I don't feel the correct amount of caution is applied to these prescriptions. Sorry to hear about your brother fella.

So my brother who has been a functional codeine addict for many years is in ICU. Multi -organ failure and a flesh eating infection they can't treat because he's too weak.

Guys/girls....whatever is going in your lives, whatever mess you're in....talk to someone....because the mess you make if you don't is always worse.

Fingers crossed :(

I got put on tramadol once. It was lovely. I just sat on the couch feeling really at ease. I googled it and saw that a lot of people really like it. Like REALLY like it. People taking 10 times the dose I was. Going all over their state to try and find a doctor to prescribe it etc. But when I was put on it, there was no advice given as to its addictiveness. I tried to wean down my dose, but was waking up sweating in the middle of the night eager to take some more. Not for any pain, just for the unpleasantness of not having taken it. So I just stopped taking it completely. Cold turkey. And it was fine. But it's easy to imagine how you could get addicted to something purely by circumstance. 

Poor Eames' brother. It shouldn't be like this. There are a lot of irresponsible doctors, especially in primary care.

Yeah, tough times for you and your family Eames, there's not much to say about that sort of news, other than to give the obvious sympathy for you.

It's always good to raise this sort of issue and get it out in the open. It's amazing how many other people will be on a similar path and think they are on their own. So any mention of anything like this, is always good and positive for others to see.

As with many comments above, it's easy to see how some medications can grab you really quickly. My very limited experience was to be given valium before a minor op and then be given enough valium for a couple more days after the op. As above, it was obvious really quickly what the appeal was and I didn't take any more after the first day. I could see how easy it would be to take a shine to them.

• Like 1

I'm on pain medication and will be for life - diclofenac. For a long standing back problem. 

They tried to move me off it and put me on co-codamol earlier this year as they thought taking an NSAID like diclofenac wasn't helping my ulcerative colitis, however I didn't get on with them (they didn't touch the sides pain wise) and they put me back on the diclofenac. I've still got 2 tubs of them in my bedside cabinet (about 400 tablets!)

My thoughts are with you and your family Eames

I was given some codeine for an ongoing problem, and following that I've only ever taken a few tablets when I absolutely need to.

The thing that always struck me with them is that, asides from stopping the pain eventually, I've never felt anything else from them. I read about people basically getting a mild high off them or whatever and I've never once felt that. I was never sure whether that was a good thing or not. I take shitloads of painkillers so sometimes wonder if I've built up a tolerance, or maybe I just don't notice the high.

I was given some codeine for an ongoing problem, and following that I've only ever taken a few tablets when I absolutely need to.

The thing that always struck me with them is that, asides from stopping the pain eventually, I've never felt anything else from them. I read about people basically getting a mild high off them or whatever and I've never once felt that. I was never sure whether that was a good thing or not. I take shitloads of painkillers so sometimes wonder if I've built up a tolerance, or maybe I just don't notice the high.

That's the problem, mine was a combination of tramadol, cocodamol, diclaphenac and another which name is forget alongside daizipam (not all at the same time obviously!) I didn't feel any different until I STOPPED taking them, and it was probably close to a week before I realised the extent of how bad it was. I've known people take cocodamol for hangovers in the past, idiots.

Â