The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

On 12/01/2022 at 10:03, Phil Silvers said:

Out of time 2021

Low budget B flick, no idea why I went for this because of the 5.6 rating but the premise sounded fun. 3 aliens, able to host different human bodies and wait for their fleets arrival to earth.

It had the feel of a sci fi series goes back in time to medern day earth episode. Hardly great but strangely enjoyable to watch.

I posted about that before Xmas. I agree, very enjoyable for an afternoon n the sofa

• Like 1

On 15/01/2022 at 11:22, Designer1 said:

Tickets booked for the new Scream later today.

Big fan of the franchise so really looking forward to it.

spacer.png

I've just got back from it, I thought it was OK...ish

The kills were good enough, one or two of them were really impressive and old Ghostface actually comes off as more brutal and frenzied than in the previous ones.

Where I am polarised by the film though is the lack of the "legacy" characters, yeah they are in it but they aren't the main focus, initially I was looking forward to this but the new cast are just so bland that I didn't care about any of them, I know that they had big shoes to fill but I found one of them at least pretty much unbearable and the rest were just...well extremely dull, I think that they missed a trick by not making 

Spoiler

Jenna Ortega/Tara

The main character, hopefully she'll be bought to the front in the next one as think she has the most potential as a final girl and the one that was chosen was just extremely bland and her backstory wasn't a surprise at all, also the whole 

Spoiler

Billy Loomis in the mirror thing didn't work at all for me, it was nice to see Skeet Ulrich back (albeit briefly), it just didn't seem as though it added anything and was just there for fan service, I also think that this didn't work with Sidney's Mom in Scream 3.

Scream is always about the Whodunnit but it was far too ham fisted in this one "maybe you are the killer, yeah maybe I am, but you could be the killer, but if I'm the killer then you could be the killer as well, or it could be neither of us, maybe its just one us"

Spoiler

As for the motive of Richie and Amber just doing it to get the Stab series back on track, I didn't actually mind this, it was alright, I much preferred Cabin in the Woods take on toxic fandom though

All in all, yeah its a Scream film and that is pretty much all that it is.

In order I'd go

Scream

Scream 2

Scream 4

Scream (2022)

Scream 3

• Like 1

Good summation @leemond2008and one I broadly agree with.

My main two gripes were similar to yours:

Spoiler

Lack of screen time for Sydney.

The Billy Loomis bits which were eye rollingly bad.

Apart from that I really enjoyed it. Its still one of the strongest horror franchises out there and I'll be booking a ticket for the next one.

Between the Hobbit part 1 yesterday and Eternals today I have watched an awful lot of guff this weekend. Hadn't seen the Hobbit since the cinema. Forgot it take an hour of indulgent twaddle before it even really starts and the less said about the car crash that is the Eternals the better. We fell asleep twice, paused for a pee break and still it feels like it's never ending. Suspect it would have been much better served as a mini series instead. As a standalone film it's a complete mess. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

I've just got back from it, I thought it was OK...ish

The kills were good enough, one or two of them were really impressive and old Ghostface actually comes off as more brutal and frenzied than in the previous ones.

Where I am polarised by the film though is the lack of the "legacy" characters, yeah they are in it but they aren't the main focus, initially I was looking forward to this but the new cast are just so bland that I didn't care about any of them, I know that they had big shoes to fill but I found one of them at least pretty much unbearable and the rest were just...well extremely dull, I think that they missed a trick by not making 

Reveal hidden contents

Jenna Ortega/Tara

The main character, hopefully she'll be bought to the front in the next one as think she has the most potential as a final girl and the one that was chosen was just extremely bland and her backstory wasn't a surprise at all, also the whole 

Reveal hidden contents

Billy Loomis in the mirror thing didn't work at all for me, it was nice to see Skeet Ulrich back (albeit briefly), it just didn't seem as though it added anything and was just there for fan service, I also think that this didn't work with Sidney's Mom in Scream 3.

Scream is always about the Whodunnit but it was far too ham fisted in this one "maybe you are the killer, yeah maybe I am, but you could be the killer, but if I'm the killer then you could be the killer as well, or it could be neither of us, maybe its just one us"

Reveal hidden contents

As for the motive of Richie and Amber just doing it to get the Stab series back on track, I didn't actually mind this, it was alright, I much preferred Cabin in the Woods take on toxic fandom though

All in all, yeah its a Scream film and that is pretty much all that it is.

In order I'd go

Scream

Scream 2

Scream 4

Scream (2022)

Scream 3

I have not seen this one yet but am going next week to go see it. 

From the ones ive seen my order is

Scream 1

Scream 4

Scream 2

Scream 3

3 was by far the worst

Watched revolver the guy Ritchie film for the first time in a few years tonight. Jason Statham is surprisingly good in the lead role None of his usual chop suey nonsense. This film got panned on release if I remember by the critics but on reflection it’s quite good and surprisingly deep. It actually makes you think and I cannot think of another Statham film that achieves this mind boggling feat. 

Spoiler

Basically the proviso of the film is that a man’s ego is his biggest enemy

Also quite good supporting cast including the fella who played Harris in the football factory who has the most ridiculous American accent i have ever heard, it may well have been dubbed

Follyfoot recommend watch 👍

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1

Liquorice Pizza  is bloody brilliant. Only other PTA film I've seen is Phantom Thread which I really appreciated, but this one is much easier to actually enjoy. Very charming, and funny amid a nostalgic 70s haze.  Both the leads are wonderful. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Liquorice Pizza  is bloody brilliant. Only other PTA film I've seen is Phantom Thread which I really appreciated, but this one is much easier to actually enjoy. Very charming, and funny amid a nostalgic 70s haze.  Both the leads are wonderful. 

Yeah it's a top film, I can highly recommend PTA's other work (Boogie Nights / Magnolia / There Will be Blood / The Master / Punch Drunk Love are all exceptional)

Amazing to think it was the acting debuts of both leads too.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Difficult viewing at times and somewhat overlooked at release some 15 years ago, not many films to compare it to genre wise but if never watched do so

image.jpeg

Great movie.

Saw it at the flicks when it was first released and as you say, a good original story.

Think it was the first thing I saw Patrick Wilson and Elliot Page in and they are both fantastic.

• Like 2

Munich Edge of War on netflix

Set in 1938 its about Chamberlain meeting Hitler to negotiate the sudetenland and peace before ww2

Its pretty good for what it is, they've thrown a drama element in to it that it just about gets away with but chamberlain and Hitler rightly steal the show, they make the right decision and have English actors in English and Germans in German, definitely some interesting bits in there making it worth a watch 

Â