The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Young Sherlock Holmes (1985) is on Film4 this morning for anyone interested. It’s a fun adventure from Steven Spielberg and a favourite of mine growing up.

You can really feel the Spielberg influence, especially when comparing it to Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. It’s a bit Harry Potter also but without the magic. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, useless said:

image-w1280.jpg?size=800x

Drive My Car - Everything about this was really good.

I really like the short story this is based on, but I did wonder how it would translate to film as the written story takes place mostly in memory and thought. I might have to have a look for it. 

Ghostbusters. Specifically the two recent ones. 

Loved Afterlife. Quite joyful almost. Slightly cheesy towards the end, but overall very good. 

2016 'Woke' version. OK, but not great. I'd read so much about how the wokeness of it ruined the film, but I didn't find that at all. I liked all the performances, pretty much, but it was let down by just not being as good a story maybe? 

• Like 1

Three very different films this weekend. 

First one was Bob Odenkirk in Nobody. Not the film I was expecting (I’d heard/read nothing about it) but although suspension of disbelief isn’t my strong suit it was a good Friday night action film. 

Film 2 Pig with Nic Cage. Not as bonkers as the premise sounds or as most of his more recent films. Bit of a Kaufman feel to it and really good. 

Finally, Mass with Jason Isaacs (hello to him) and Martha Plimpton. Really engrossing, tough to watch. Had me bawling by the end. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, choffer said:

Three very different films this weekend. 

First one was Bob Odenkirk in Nobody. Not the film I was expecting (I’d heard/read nothing about it) but although suspension of disbelief isn’t my strong suit it was a good Friday night action film. 

Film 2 Pig with Nic Cage. Not as bonkers as the premise sounds or as most of his more recent films. Bit of a Kaufman feel to it and really good. 

Finally, Mass with Jason Isaacs (hello to him) and Martha Plimpton. Really engrossing, tough to watch. Had me bawling by the end. 

Thats a good weekends work, same with me on all, especially Mass, highly recommend this, very well done and made for peanuts. Tears here too.

Edited by Phil Silvers
  • Like 1

The Alpinist 2021

A film maker charts the extraordinary feats of an extreme free climber. 

Outstanding looking film with jaw dropping visuals, it's an emotional roller coaster following one special guy who was born to do the impossible.

Highly recommended.

• Like 1

Belfast is just wonderful. Absolutely go see it if you have a chance whilst it's in the cinemas. Everything about is so good, will be surprised if it's not in my top 3 films of the year. Loved it. So much heart. Wife wants to immediately see it again, I think so, once she stopped crying. As Designer says, top mix of humour and drama and you'd have to be a sociopath not to be moved by it all. Manages to be both stylistically interesting and feel utterly authentic of the period, no hollywoodizing or OTT schmaltz. Genuine heart.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, MellbergsBeard said:

Thinking about watching the scream films again before seeing the new one, how do they hold up?

Watched them all again in preparation for the latest a few weeks ago.

Still great imo.

• Like 1

On 19/12/2021 at 15:54, Rodders said:

Power of the Dog. 

Bored me shitless. So so so so slow and tedious. Made a 2 hour running time feel twice that. Didn't give the slightest shit about how the film ends.

I wish i had read this post before i watched it. I could have save 2 hours of my life !!!!

Just sat through this steaming pile of a movie so that you won't have to.

I usually like shark movies, even bad ones but this was slow, boring and ugly looking with poor CGI and a worse shark puppet than the original Jaws movie. It's almost like they were aiming for a serious movie considering how drawn out it is but they failed to build any suspense. 

Might be a very niche market for people who are into Alicia Silverstone making high pitched "distressed puppy" noises. So if that's your jam this one is for you.

Poster is not a fair representation of the movie :D  4/10

ems.ZW1zLXByZC1hc3NldHMvbW92aWVzLzQwMDIwYmRhLWU0ODQtNGE0Yi05MDJmLWQ3OWM3NWZmZjA4Yy5qcGc=

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

La-Ronde.jpg?w=840&ssl=1

La Ronde (1950) - Pretty much a masterpiece, only the second film by Max Ophüls that I've seen, but both have been excellent, I love his visual style, reminded me in some ways of Eyes Wide Shut, which stands to reason as this and that were both based on source material by Austrian author Arthur Schnitzler.

1200.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=forma

Black Girl - Good film, thought provoking and sad, great performance by Mbissine Therese Diop in the lead role.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sne said:

Just sat through this steaming pile of a movie so that you won't have to.

I usually like shark movies, even bad ones but this was slow, boring and ugly looking with poor CGI and a worse shark puppet than the original Jaws movie. It's almost like they were aiming for a serious movie considering how drawn out it is but they failed to build any suspense. 

Might be a very niche market for people who are into Alicia Silverstone making high pitched "distressed puppy" noises. So if that's your jam this one is for you.

Poster is not a fair representation of the movie :D  4/10

ems.ZW1zLXByZC1hc3NldHMvbW92aWVzLzQwMDIwYmRhLWU0ODQtNGE0Yi05MDJmLWQ3OWM3NWZmZjA4Yy5qcGc=

The only giant shark movie worth watching is the one where Jason Statham has a fist fight with it at the end

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, sne said:

Might be a very niche market for people who are into Alicia Silverstone making high pitched "distressed puppy" noises.

Go on...

what-daffy-duck.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Â