The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

12 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Good day for classic films on ITV4 today, especially if you like Paul Newman, Robert Redford and Steve McQueen:

11:00 Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

13:20 The Sting

15:55 The Towering Inferno

If you’re a big kid like me still, Film4 are showing: WarGames and The Golden Voyage of Sinbad.

I remember going to the pictures to see TTI. Everyone was buzzing at the idea of Newman and McQueen being in the same movie. I don't remember too many buzzing after the film finished, though. 

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Its not got a great RT rating but its getting plenty of nods for kidman, bardem and Simmons in acting awards and sorkin for writing so I'll give it a watch at some point 

I've just been Watching Simmons in season four of Goliath. He really does play the arrogant, bellicose word removed better than most. He was brutal in Oz.

• Like 1

Can't recommend this one enough, superb piece of work.

The aftermath of a violent crime and it's effect on those left behind, very well written, actied out to perfection from the four main players.

mass-movie-poster-sm.jpg

Spoiler

Martha Plimpton played Stef in the Goonies.

Edited by Phil Silvers
  • Like 1

Watching The Running Man as it’s on.

Yes, it’s great fun. I love it, you love it. Well some of you don’t like that it’s not like the book. I know, I know.

But one bit always annoys me.

I’ll spoiler it.

Spoiler

Now, I like that bit. But when Ben Richards kills Fireball (“what a hot head”) that is shown to the studio audience and those watching at home.

HOWEVER…when the true fates of last year’s “winners”  (You remember them? Whitman, Price…and Haddad!!!) are later revealed, everyone is shocked. Did they just not see that clip of Fireball saying “No…last year’s losers.”??

Also, ignoring the prize they ultimately received, how exactly did Whitman, Price and Haddad win “The Running Man” last year? Did Sub Zero, Dynamo, Buzzsaw etc just have an off day (or three)? No wonder Captain Freedom knocked it on the head.

Edit - also why did those bookmakers put Richards down as 100-1 after he’d already killed two stalkers? Insanity.

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 3

Got hooked into watched Interstellar (again, since the cinema for its release I would’ve thought) on Polish TV, then resumed on Plex so I could get the subtitles on for the inaudible dialogue without the volume being window-shatteringly loud. Excellent film though, the score by Zimmer really sets the atmosphere.

• Like 1

On 08/01/2022 at 11:47, Rds1983 said:

Great mid credits scene but I think I quite like the idea of the one they didn't film.

Reveal hidden contents

Where they realised they only had billionaire's on the planet and nobody to actually do anything like build houses and realise how helpless/worthless they all are. 

I read the interview where he mentioned that, but I think they made the right decision as that other ending is too similar to the Golgrafinchan B Ark storyline from Hitchhikers IMO.

Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City

Not at all bad but a bit of a jumble, enough to keep fans of the original game, such as myself happy (still can not believe it was 1996)  Basically it is a hash of two of the games so all the main protagonists are people you probably remember. The fact they all appear in one story does not help with their personal development in the film as too little time is spent with each.

Some genuine jump scares and a much needed reboot after the topsy turvy previous 6 films based on the source material. Solid 7/10 but a bit of a missed opportunity 

Edited by Follyfoot

On the plane yesterday, long flight, so decided to watch The Last Duel. Didn't watch it when it came out because of all the stinky reviews it got, so imagine my annoyance at discovering it's *absolutely fantastic*??? WTF were those critics gibbering about? I mean, this is literally how it was covered in the Guardian:

lastduel.jpg

It's fantastic. It tells the story of a traumatic rape from three perspectives, that of the husband, the rapist, and finally the woman herself, and each time reveals more about the characters so you can see the ways they flatter and deceive themselves . . . it's really well written and the acting is great (especially Comer, and also Affleck is having an infectiously good time) and I cannot see any world in which 2 stars and 'damp mullets in the fog' is a good representation of it.

Criminally underrated.

• Like 2

On 06/09/2020 at 09:43, Wainy316 said:

I’m Thinking of Ending Things.  A wonderful head **** of a movie.   Pure Kaufman.

Jesse Plemons is great as usual.

This is next on my list. As it's Kaufman I fully expected it not to be straightforward :) But I love all the main cast so I'm looking forward to it. It's been on the list for a while.

54 minutes ago, stuart_75 said:

Finally got round to A Quiet Place pt.II.

Very good.

It was good, for sure, some good scares and stuff but I have to say a problem for me with it was that I couldn't believe the characters motivations and decision-making, seem to always be up to baffling stuff.

• Like 1

Watched ghostbusters Afterlife last night, really enjoyed it, its just a fun easy film which is what it should be, doesn't do anything clever or brilliant or new but gets a lot right 

It must be available on a streaming service somewhere because it was absolutely perfect 720 🏴‍☠️

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Watched ghostbusters Afterlife last night, really enjoyed it, its just a fun easy film which is what it should be, doesn't do anything clever or brilliant or new but gets a lot right 

It must be available on a streaming service somewhere because it was absolutely perfect 720 🏴‍☠️

We must be living in a parallel universe as I was watching a lovely rip of Ghostbusters afterlife last night too :ph34r:. Only had time for the first hour, but so far so good. Seeing the car under the tarp got the nostalgia tingles going!

• Like 2

Out of time 2021

Low budget B flick, no idea why I went for this because of the 5.6 rating but the premise sounded fun. 3 aliens, able to host different human bodies and wait for their fleets arrival to earth.

It had the feel of a sci fi series goes back in time to medern day earth episode. Hardly great but strangely enjoyable to watch.

• Like 1

Had the pleasure of another wonderful, oriental film on Netflix. Rurouni Kenshin: The Beginning. I thought the love story angle was played beautifully. I really admire the way the Japanese leave so much space between dialogue, it really feels poetic. I will now look forward to the other Kenshin movies.

• Thanks 1

spacer.png

Very Interesting, dark and original movie.

It's glacial pace means it won't be for everyone, but I found the stories strong themes and the committed performances of the main trio of actors very compelling. 

• Thanks 1

Â