The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I'm watching "Django Unchained " for, what seems like, the hundredth time. That, for me, is what defines a great film. No matter how many times you watch it, you never get bored. And the acing of Christoph Waltz is simply sublime, and some great cameos too. The best, for me, was Don Johnson as "Big Daddy ", funny as hell, without trying to be.

It's also worth the entrance fee alone just to look at the gorgeous, Kerry Washington. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Cracker innit.

It really was. I’m not that into westerns so it’s taken me a while to watch it. But it was excellent. 

And to be fair it’s not really a western

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Does anyone know where I can find a copy of :-

BBC Screen One
Alive and Kicking
Episode aired Oct 13, 1991
1h 35m

Starring Lenny Henry & Robbie Coltrane 

Thanks

I think it was called Live and Kicking, might help with the search.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Phil Silvers said:

I think it was called Live and Kicking, might help with the search.

Actually, scratch that.

Imdb found this if you haven't already found it. There's a Youtube channel called TeeVee classics, the guy has an incredible collection of assorted old shows. He has uploaded stuff for me on request before. I'll message him.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Phil Silvers said:

Actually, scratch that.

Imdb found this if you haven't already found it. There's a Youtube channel called TeeVee classics, the guy has an incredible collection of assorted old shows. He has uploaded stuff for me on request before. I'll message him.

Thanks,  I have been looking for a while 👍

I went on YouTube and watched the HBO Gotti film. Just how good was Armand Assante in that role ? He has to be one of the most unappreciated actors there is. It's not just Gotti he was great in. What about Q&A or American Gangster? But I think he played Gotti to perfection. I know the script took a few liberties with what actually happened, but it has to be one of the most hypocritical moments in FBI history. They actually cut a deal with a serial killer just so they could put Gotti away for the rest of his life, and made no apologies about it. And, whatever your thoughts about Gotti, he never once wallowed in self- pity.

There's a part when the film starts where Gotti is in jail talking to his consigliere about his predicament, and he says, " what would Neil (mentor) say if he was here now, he'd say, what's life if you don't go through it as a man's man. Suck it up, that what makes you who you are".  No truer words were spoken. Sammy Gravano was nothing but a coward who used some tapes, where the FBI had recorded John speaking ill of Sammy, as the perfect pretext to give evidence against not just Gotti, but many other members of Cosa Nostra , and what is Sammy today ? A You Tube raconteur, telling tales about all his grisly murders. 

The FBI should hang their heads in deep shame 

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, sheepyvillian said:

I went on YouTube and watched the HBO Gotti film. Just how good was Armand Assante on that role ? He has to be one of the most unappreciated actors there is. It's not just Gotti he was great in. What about Q&A or American Gangster? But I think he played Gotti to perfection. I know the script took a few liberties with what actually happened, but it has to be one of the most hypocritical moments in FBI history. They actually cut a deal with a serial killer just so they could put Gotti away for the rest of his life, and made no apologies about it. And, whatever your thoughts about Gotti, he never once wallowed in self- pity.

There's a part when the film starts where Gotti is in jail talking to his consigliere about his predicament, and he says, " what would Neil (mentor) say if he was here now, he'd say, what's life if you don't go through it as a man's man. Suck it up, that what makes you who you are".  No truer words were spoken. Sammy Gravano was nothing but a coward who used some tapes, where the FBI had recorded John speaking ill of Sammy, as the perfect pretext to give evidence against not just Gotti, but many other members of Cosa Nostra , and what is Sammy today ? A You Tube raconteur, telling tales about all his grisly murders. 

The FBI should hang their heads in deep shame 

Will watch Gotti cheers.

Love Q&A, Nick Nolte's best performance ever for me and Armand Assante is slimy evil in it too, great film.

6 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Will watch Gotti cheers.

Love Q&A, Nick Nolte's best performance ever for me and Armand Assante is slimy evil in it too, great film.

Phil you got the Q&A characters mixed up. Nolte was the slimy evil corrupt cop. Assante was a criminal with a heart who was dating the ex girlfriend of Timothy Hutton's character. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, sheepyvillian said:

Phil you got the Q&A characters mixed up. Nolte was the slimy evil corrupt cop. Assante was a criminal with a heart who was dating the ex girlfriend of Timothy Hutton's character. 

Yeah bad choice of words, I meant slippery.

• Like 1

On 30/01/2022 at 15:00, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Does anyone know where I can find a copy of :-

BBC Screen One
Alive and Kicking
Episode aired Oct 13, 1991
1h 35m

Starring Lenny Henry & Robbie Coltrane 

Thanks

Sorry Neil, he just messaged back, he doesn't have any screen one but says he will look out for it. He puts some pretty obscure old stuff so you never know, he mind find it. I'll give you the nod if it shows up.

Meanwhile, find this Internet Archive ... its huge, I've had a quick look and couldn't find it but might be work signing up and contacting them for help.

Â