The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

10 hours ago, villa4europe said:

After a bit of trying we found a film that my daughter likes on disney+

Frozen 2...i still just don't get it, this one doesn't even have a good song, it's a 6/10 film, doesn't even have the vibrancy of say moana or encanto either 

I think the appeal of Frozen compared to those is that it’s a bit more “princess-y”. Bit more of a traditional fairytale. Plus there’s the sister dynamic that girls are going to identify with, some will feel they’re more like Elsa, others Anna. 

I’ve only seen the first one, I agree that the film itself isn’t anywhere near as good as Moana. 

Couldn’t quite get on with Encanto. My daughter really likes it but to be honest I found it a bit messy. 

6 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I found it a bit messy.

The first song made me watch rip my ears off.

Rest of it was alright I thought. Missus and daughter loves it

Just now, Tegis said:

The first song made me watch rip my ears off.

Rest of it was alright I thought. Missus and daughter loves it

Was that the one with main character basically singing what each of the family members could do? If so I remember thinking it dragged on.

I thought the pressure song that the strong sister sang was the most memorable.

Just now, Mark Albrighton said:

Was that the one with main character basically singing what each of the family members could do? If so I remember thinking it dragged on.

Yep, thats the one.

Just now, Mark Albrighton said:

I thought the pressure song that the strong sister sang was the most memorable.

Yes to this one as well. A song that can stand on its own without the film

• Like 1

Encanto is OK, typical Disney / Pixar affair that can't stand out from their own incredible quality, coco was the same, so was soul, raya, Ron's gone wrong, luca, onward, ralph

They all range from 7 to 9 out of 10 for me 

Bruno is a bastard when it's in your head though 

About a year ago I watched Map to the Stars and more recently watched Cosmopolis, I thought they were both okay, but seemed to have something missing, I'm not sure what, that could have turned them into better movies. Also watched Videodrome at some point last year as well, which I liked.

Edited by useless

13 hours ago, useless said:

About a year ago I watched Map to the Stars and more recently watched Cosmopolis, I thought they were both okay, but seemed to have something missing, I'm not sure what, that could have turned them into better movies. Also watched Videodrome at some point last year as well, which I liked.

If you liked Vidoedrome try Existenz 

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Went to see Moonfall this morning (cinema has a Baby Club event where you take your <1yo baby and watch a ‘normal’ film; they pick a diff film every week). Ridiculous but entertaining enough.

Edited by chappy
Typo

7 hours ago, chappy said:

cinema has a Baby Club event where you take your <1yo baby and watch a ‘normal’ film; they pick a diff film every week

As the parent of a one year old, this sounds like hell on earth. Then again, she has been walking since 8 months, and cannot be contained. 

1 minute ago, hogso said:

As the parent of a one year old, this sounds like hell on earth. Then again, she has been walking since 8 months, and cannot be contained. 

Haha fair enough. He’s just turned 10 months old, managed to time it yesterday so he slept through the first two thirds of the film. It’s an Everyman cinema so it’s sofas rather than the usual chairs and I sit on the end of a row next to the pram. It’s the third time I’ve been and the longest he’s slept so far, I always take a couple of (quiet!) toys to keep him occupied for when he’s awake, don’t mind letting him shuffle around on the floor in front of me a bit either and also he will just sit and be transfixed by the big screen for a few mins at a time. Understand it’d be difficult with a walker though, impressive that she’s been walking since 8 months! Most of the other babies that go to these screenings seem to be younger and seem to sleep in their mums’ arms (don’t tend to get many dads there).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chappy said:

Haha fair enough. He’s just turned 10 months old, managed to time it yesterday so he slept through the first two thirds of the film. It’s an Everyman cinema so it’s sofas rather than the usual chairs and I sit on the end of a row next to the pram. It’s the third time I’ve been and the longest he’s slept so far, I always take a couple of (quiet!) toys to keep him occupied for when he’s awake, don’t mind letting him shuffle around on the floor in front of me a bit either and also he will just sit and be transfixed by the big screen for a few mins at a time. Understand it’d be difficult with a walker though, impressive that she’s been walking since 8 months! Most of the other babies that go to these screenings seem to be younger and seem to sleep in their mums’ arms (don’t tend to get many dads there).

This sounds ace to be honest.

I'm already missing the cinema, and going with the baby's mom is obviously out of the question.

I assume it's a case of everyone just accepts that there may be some very noisy babies at times and people just deal with it?

37 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

This sounds ace to be honest.

I'm already missing the cinema, and going with the baby's mom is obviously out of the question.

I assume it's a case of everyone just accepts that there may be some very noisy babies at times and people just deal with it?

Yeah exactly, the lights are on dimmed too rather than off. People are pretty good at keeping their babies relatively quiet too, if you go in expecting your viewing to be a little disrupted you won’t really notice. They do it at the Birmingham one too, just looked at the website. Here it’s £8.20 and you get a cake and a hot drink included.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, chappy said:

Yeah exactly, the lights are on dimmed too rather than off. People are pretty good at keeping their babies relatively quiet too, if you go in expecting your viewing to be a little disrupted you won’t really notice. They do it at the Birmingham one too, just looked at the website. Here it’s £8.20 and you get a cake and a hot drink included.

My wife regularly went to these when the lad was little and loved them. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, chappy said:

Yeah I'll be taking advantage of that for sure. Thanks for the heads up!

• Like 1

Â