The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Good day for classic films on ITV4 today, especially if you like Paul Newman, Robert Redford and Steve McQueen:

11:00 Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

13:20 The Sting

15:55 The Towering Inferno

If you’re a big kid like me still, Film4 are showing: WarGames and The Golden Voyage of Sinbad.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Good day for classic films on ITV4 today, especially if you like Paul Newman, Robert Redford and Steve McQueen:

11:00 Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

13:20 The Sting

15:55 The Towering Inferno

If you’re a big kid like me still, Film4 are showing: WarGames and The Golden Voyage of Sinbad.

Like them all but love those two, thanks.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Watched it tonight. 

I thought it was good, but not great. 
However, Colman’s performance was fantastic. Worth watching for that alone

That Oscar was no fluke

I'm the same, really enjoyed colmans performance and wouldn't be surprised if she won again but at the same time its a very awards season friendly film in that it's slow paced with a story that isn't really that interesting, it flirted with boring too much for my liking, it's no doubt very deep and a character study rather than full of likable enjoyable characters but sometimes loud bangs and explosions aren't always that bad a thing 

5 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Saw the trailer for the latest Guillermo Del Toro film Nightmare Alley which has an amazing cast and looks pretty good. 

will probably check it out at the cinema (think it’s released on the 21/01) 

If it's anywhere near the original it will be great. Amazing visualls are standard fare for GDT, cinema viewing essential.

• Like 1

I have Top Dog to watch this afternoon, not the K9 rip-off with Chuck Norris and his faithful dog sidekick (Well worth a watch in itself as it is a film pitched at children which has a baseline story of white supremacists blowing up shopping malls et cetera as well as a baffling end sequence involving a rabbi, a priest and a Muslim cleric and a bomb ticking down from one minute on a digital front, No guesses for the prediction the number the bomb is stopped on and by whom (He’s big and hairy so it could be Norris or the dog)

No this is the story of a gang of football hooligans(Tottenham Acton casuals )who decide to take on the local south London mob in an escalating story of violence and more violence and general geezerdome . The fella who smokes a fag in a really hard manner from Green Street is in it as well as the fella who played Carlton Leach in rise of the footsoldier so with this star-studded cast I expect a proper little naughty turnout. Review to follow 

Edited by Follyfoot

25 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I'm the same, really enjoyed colmans performance and wouldn't be surprised if she won again but at the same time its a very awards season friendly film in that it's slow paced with a story that isn't really that interesting, it flirted with boring too much for my liking, it's no doubt very deep and a character study rather than full of likable enjoyable characters but sometimes loud bangs and explosions aren't always that bad a thing 

I never found it boring but I didn’t really feel like there was enough of a payoff. It felt like it was building to something sinister but it never happened

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I never found it boring but I didn’t really feel like there was enough of a payoff. It felt like it was building to something sinister but it never happened

That's one of the things I liked most about it.

It didn't need a big 'wow' ending because the whole thing told the story so well with the bits of flashback and dialogue that by pretty much the last scene it had all fallen into place really well. It really resonated with me as a friend of mine had a similar experience with being a mother and from what she told me, much of this was bang on.

I thought it was excellent.

37 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Spoiler

I think there was a give away half way through that bianca wasn't dead and that took a lot of that away for me, killed the idea that there would be a twist 

3 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Also, as good as Colman was (and she was) I thought Jesse Buckley's performance was up there with it. Really good young actor.

It didn’t need a wow ending but I thought it needed something slightly more

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I think there was a give away half way through that bianca wasn't dead and that took a lot of that away for me, killed the idea that there would be a twist 

Maybe I missed something big (I’m on new daddy duties so I was deliriously tired) but

Spoiler

at no point did I think Bianca was dead 

Maybe that was my problem 😂😂

3 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Also, as good as Colman was (and she was) I thought Jesse Buckley's performance was up there with it. Really good young actor.

I watched Wild Rose and she was phenomenal in that. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Maybe I missed something big (I’m on new daddy duties so I was deliriously tired) but

Hide contents

at no point did I think Bianca was dead 

Maybe that was my problem 😂😂

Spoiler

I did! Partly because of the flashbacks to her missing on holiday and how she spoke about Martha in more detail than bianca and then because I wasn't sold on her just being a shit mom who didn't want to be one and her abandoning them, I was half convinced that there would be an event with her kids that made her who she was, wasn't expecting it to be her walking out on them, thought it would be more dramatic and that lead me to one of them was dead 

• Like 1

Watched a lovely little,  poignant film on Amazon prime called " The Tender Bar". It's about a young kid who grows up wanting to be a writer and the influence his Uncle plays in helping him try to achieve his dream. The Uncle is played beautifully by Ben Affleck and there's also a great performance by the legend, that is, Christopher Lloyd. 

21 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Watched a lovely little,  poignant film on Amazon prime called " The Tender Bar". It's about a young kid who grows up wanting to be a writer and the influence his Uncle plays in helping him try to achieve his dream. The Uncle is played beautifully by Ben Affleck and there's also a great performance by the legend, that is, Christopher Lloyd. 

Thats the film I didn't watch today, directed by George Clooney, will give it a go in the week

Being the Ricardos is on prime too and is getting a lot of awards buzz, has anyone watched that? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Thats the film I didn't watch today, directed by George Clooney, will give it a go in the week

Being the Ricardos is on prime too and is getting a lot of awards buzz, has anyone watched that? 

I certainly recommend the first. 

Haven't seen the second one you mentioned but will add it to the list.

1 minute ago, sheepyvillian said:

I certainly recommend the first. 

Haven't seen the second one you mentioned but will add it to the list.

Its not got a great RT rating but its getting plenty of nods for kidman, bardem and Simmons in acting awards and sorkin for writing so I'll give it a watch at some point 

Â