The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Memoria-04-smaller-1024x553.jpg

Memoria - A woman from Scotland, while traveling in Colombia, begins to notice strange sounds. Soon she begins to think about their appearance -  I liked it a lot.

Edited by useless

On 30/01/2022 at 15:00, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Does anyone know where I can find a copy of :-

BBC Screen One
Alive and Kicking
Episode aired Oct 13, 1991
1h 35m

Starring Lenny Henry & Robbie Coltrane 

Thanks

Is that the one where the song drift away by Dobie Gray is prominent in the film?

8 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Is that the one where the song drift away by Dobie Gray is prominent in the film?

I don't remember that but the Axe song (Bob Marley - Small Axe) is in it for 100% sure.  I think that is used a lot in it.

20 + Years since I seen it.  So hopefully it can be found.

Quite a lot of it filmed in Birmingham.

Just now, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I don't remember that but the Axe song (Bob Marley - Small Axe) is in it for 100% sure.  I think that is used a lot in it.

20 + Years since I seen it.  So hopefully it can be found.

Quite a lot of it filmed in Birmingham.

I was thinking of Coast to Coast. 

I quite enjoyed "Nobody ", it seems Christopher Lloyd is having somewhat of Indian summer to his film career. He rarely disappoints. 

Although a little far fetched it had some really funny moments including an hilarious cameo from the great RZA. One of them films you just have to roll with. 

• Like 1

MV5BZmMyMmE0M2UtN2E2MC00YzVmLTkwODgtOTVh

Watched this tonight. Really didn’t think it would be my thing but **** me it was excellent. 

Garfield has to be in with a shout at a Best Actor Oscar here. He was incredible

• Like 2

almost missed this, Prison drama with Craig Fairbrass. A Combination which will go down very well I’m sure. Not sure if it’s on streaming platforms or the cinema release. One for @Xelato keep an eye out for

image.jpeg.156b365588a278f39a29fcc091cb7fad.jpeg

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Thanks 1

Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Loved it. Perfect way to introduce the ghostbusters universe to a whole new generation and married the old and modern together perfectly. Yes the nods to the past were cynical but I don’t care, Im a mushy soft hearted geek and I needed this film after the reboot a few years ago and it hit all the right notes for me personally. Plus the last shot and the credit clips (provided they follow up on it) have me excited. The biggest thing about the film and the most poignant was the way the focus was mainly about all of the Spenglers. It grounded everything and gave the film a huge amount of heart and yes, I will admit I had something (huge and tear inducing) in my eye at the end of the film, you’d have to be clinically dead to not feel something when seeing THAT shot and listening to what they say. 

Head says it’s a 8/10. My heart is shouting 10/10. 

• Like 4

Has anybody fully embraced the new digital age and thrown away their DVD collections?

I have loads that I have acquired over the years although I don't add to them or really display them anymore.

Now, with a baby due and us trying to clear loads of room, the missus is trying to have me get rid of mine (along with my PS3 games which tbh, will never get used again).  

Anyway, I'm bit conflicted over this and although I know it's probably the sensible thing to do (maybe keep the odd few) I just can't see myself chucking it all having accumulated it over a long period of time.  I'm also a bit of a sucker for having physical goods.  Arrrgh!

20 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Has anybody fully embraced the new digital age and thrown away their DVD collections?

I have loads that I have acquired over the years although I don't add to them or really display them anymore.

Now, with a baby due and us trying to clear loads of room, the missus is trying to have me get rid of mine (along with my PS3 games which tbh, will never get used again).  

Anyway, I'm bit conflicted over this and although I know it's probably the sensible thing to do (maybe keep the odd few) I just can't see myself chucking it all having accumulated it over a long period of time.  I'm also a bit of a sucker for having physical goods.  Arrrgh!

I was having exactly this conversation over dinner with friends last night. I've about 2,000 DVDs/Blurays and easily three times that amount of Cd's. I know both are depracated technology but if I didn't chuck out all the cassettes teenage me collected, I can't see me throwing these out either. I'm not generally a hoarder but they feel like collections that I invested a significant amount of money in so I can't bring myself to part with them, regardless of how little they'll ever get used again. The issue I have (like many) is that they take up an unnecessary amount of space. It's daft - they serve no great purpose, take up lots of room but I can't get my head to see any value in getting rid.  

• Like 1

I still buy physical media but I've become very picky in what I buy now. It used to be I'd pick up discs of any film I was interested in and every couple of years purge the stuff I didn't click with, but now I'll only get discs where they are titles I know I will enjoy, and are on 4k, unless it's something I really want to watch and they've not gone for a UHD release.

Haven't bought a DVD in ages though I feel wary whenever I hear about the odd film being too edited up for modern audiences. It may be a projected concern thata groundless but makes me not get rid of old films I have on DVD. If I do buy films nowadays it will.be foreign films or obscure films unlikely to be on any streaming services. Though the last time I bought a bunch of films was 2 years ago when the pandemic was approaching, and I've still not watched most of them due to other distractions so I guess my physical buying days are going to be much rarer. 

I still buy a few Blu rays and DVDs every month. 

Dont think I'll stop until they are not available anymore. I like my physical media (for movies).

My movie 'wall' has around 2k films and I have some others in storage. I used to have around 3k on VHS 😄

Edited by Designer1

same with CDs i got rid of them all when i moved countries, my film collection was never as big as my music collection anyway

same as all things though i dont pay for a digital copy of a film, if its not on a streaming service subscription i'll acquire it, i dont get paying amazon prime £3 to rent a film or even worse £12 to buy it, never done that

Holy shit. I didn’t really want to get rid of my Nick Hancock’s Football Nightmares trilogy box but I just ripped it and ditched it. Got about 20 emo CDs in the car which predates Bluetooth, about 15 vinyl that I actually want, and 10 PS3 games that won’t get used besides Just Dance.

As physical as it gets for me is storing stuff on a hard drive rather than just the cloud.

Edited by fightoffyour

6 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Speaking from the head not the heart I'd say get rid of them. I did with 90% of what I had and I think since then I've watched only a handful of what I have left.

We stream everything nowadays (including all TV/terrestrial channels) and it works absolutely fine. When I do buy films nowadays it's a digital copy (and it's usually a kid's film). 

You won't have time to watch them when the baby is here and if your misses is anything like mine it'll be another thing for her to get at you with. Also, you will definitely need the space, however much room you think a kid takes up triple it.

Maybe have a look how much you get could get by selling them as you'll also need the cash as babies are expensive little things. 

Having just read the preceding few posts I feel this won't be a popular post so I'll try and make up for it with the below gif, which is what my heart would say. 

spacer.png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Yep, threw away all my DVDs and CDs around 15-20 years ago and never looked back. It’s liberating! Do it. How often do you watch a film again anyway?

Â