The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Watched Disneys latest animated film encanto 

Perfectly fine, very pretty, nice story, songs that don't hit 8/10 Disney by numbers 

They've made it do hard for their own films to stand out from their crowd and this whilst being worth a watch is another one that won't p

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Watched Disneys latest animated film encanto 

Perfectly fine, very pretty, nice story, songs that don't hit 8/10 Disney by numbers 

They've made it do hard for their own films to stand out from their crowd and this whilst being worth a watch is another one that won't p

Watched this with the little one over Christmas. As you say it's perfectly fine with some good moments in but nothing stands out and is easily forgettable. 

Much preferred Luca as that felt like it had more to it. 

• Like 1

I watched The French Dispatch, I found the storyline a little boring, although that could have been my own fault as I was tired, so not following as well as I otherwise might have done. Visually it looks good, Jacques Tati is an obvious influence in that regard, one of the scenes was an obvious direct homage to this scene from Mon Oncle, and there are other moments like that that make me think of other films/directors, Anderson has made his own visual style out of his influences though, so I think it becomes a question of whether you like that style or not, if so then I think this film is worth watching for that alone.

• Like 2

Quite enjoyed some of the classic film over Xmas from the BBC, couple of really good newer ones tomorrow afternoon, Shadowlands and the Remains of the Day, Anthony Hopkins at the top of his game in both, especially the latter. Emma Thompson is top class in that too.

Edited by Phil Silvers
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I really liked Pan's Labyrinth, but I preferred The Devils Backbone. 

I know I've watched The Devil's Backbone but I have no memories of what happens in it. Whereas I can remember nearly all of Pan's Labyrinth and haven't watched that for nearly 15 years. That's the sign of a very good film for me. 

7 hours ago, villa4europe said:

On Netflix? 

I've been waiting for it and it's not on mine yet

Think we watched it on Sky (NowTV) when it first came out. Quite enjoyed it but that was as much to do with Gillan as anything. 

• Like 2

On 27/12/2021 at 19:47, mjmooney said:

Paddington 2 just finished on BBC1. 

Still magnificent. 

1 just edges it for me , but not by much … 2023 release for the 3rd one to complete what will be the best movie trilogy 

Spider-Man tonight with my daughter … follows the usual spiderman formula with Ned stealing the show as usual .

Won’t give too much away , suffice to say I was lucky enough to avoid any spoilers so the twist was quite cool … decent popcorn flick , not as good  as homecoming though 

no idea about the post credit scene , was it Venom ? And for venom 2 or for a new film ?

18 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

Another here looking forward to re watching Pans Labyrinth, looking forward to seeing how good it looks on OLED, would have probably seen it on a 40" LED last time I watched it, it looked amazing then and was a good film.

Pffft.

Luxury.

When I watched Pans Labyrinth it was on a 37" and only in 1080p

S1t7lw.gif

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

1 just edges it for me , but not by much … 2023 release for the 3rd one to complete what will be the best movie trilogy 

I'd put 1 & 2 in the same category as Godfathers 1 & 2 (in both cases I think the sequel is even better than what I previously considered an unbeatable first). But bear (sic) in mind what a let-down 3 was... 

Watched don't look up, not sure what to make of it if I'm honest, it has a lot of good stuff, a lot of clever stuff and nods to the world we live in but at the same time the satire is too much

The attempts to be clever are fine, the attempts to be funny aren't, jonah hills character for example didn't work 

The whole thing could have been done better with a different team, Iannucci for one I think makes a better film, more serious yet retaining humour through better writing 

Edit - just thought, for all that it does take the piss out of with America it takes a massive swerve of religion 

Edited by villa4europe

Â