The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I'm not a big fan of superhero movies but my gf and I are considering watching the Avengers films as we've not seen them.

Do we HAVE to watch all the other films too for the Avengers to make sense? There's like 27 films or something. Not sure I can handle that. 

Edited by PieFacE

Just now, PieFacE said:

I'm not a big fan of superhero movies but my gf and I are considering watching the Avengers films as we've not seen them.

Do we HAVE to watch all the other films too for the Avengers to make sense? There's like 27 films or something. 

Calling @Chindie the VT marvel man!

personally, if it’s just the Avengers arc, you can strip it down to 

Iron Man 1

Captain America 1

Avengers Assemble

Captain America Winter Soldier

Avengers Age of Ultron

(optional but well worth it - Ant Man and Guardians of the Galaxy 1)

Captain America Civil War

(optional Spider-Man Homecoming, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Thor Ragnorok, Doctor Strange, Black Panther)

Avengers Infinity War

(Optional Ant Man 2, Captain Marvel) 

Avengers End Game 

Spider-Man Far From Home

There is lots to get through but all in all, the vast majority are very good! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Do we HAVE to watch all the other films too for the Avengers to make sense? There's like 27 films or something. Not sure I can handle that. 

Nah, watching the Avengers movies on their own as a series is totally fine. You miss some stuff, mainly from the post credit scenes in the other movies and some back story but the story is not really complex so you'll be totally fine.

It's a nice matinee bit of fun for non superhero fans like me but if you are a fan you can obviously dive deeper and enjoy it knowing all the details, characters and their back stories. But you don't need to, they are big budget blockbuster spectacles.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Calling @Chindie the VT marvel man!

personally, if it’s just the Avengers arc, you can strip it down to 

Iron Man 1

Captain America 1

Avengers Assemble

Captain America Winter Soldier

Avengers Age of Ultron

(optional but well worth it - Ant Man and Guardians of the Galaxy 1)

Captain America Civil War

(optional Spider-Man Homecoming, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Thor Ragnorok, Doctor Strange, Black Panther)

Avengers Infinity War

(Optional Ant Man 2, Captain Marvel) 

Avengers End Game 

Spider-Man Far From Home

There is lots to get through but all in all, the vast majority are very good! 

Even Captain America 1 is optional imo, I’ve not seen it but its still pretty easy to understand who Cap is and what he’s about - he’s one of the more one dimensional characters in the MCU.

Age of Ultron too. It was so bad I turned it off after 10 minutes but it didn’t affect my enjoyment of later films. I just had to accept there was a red dude on the team afterwards.

The rest of the avengers movies are great though. Guardians of the Galaxy I think is necessary if you’re going to watch all the way up to Endgame.

Edited by Panto_Villan
  • Like 2

Really struggling to stay invested in the new Matrix movie. About 30 mins in and it's so meta that it feels like I'm watching a comedy.

Not surprising since only the first one was any good but honestly no idea why they felt they needed to tell this story again. Answer is money of course but still.

Edit. Gave up about halfway through the movie.

Edited by sne

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

You can watch the Avengers films on their own, but you will miss context for some things, character/story development etc, and obviously you'll lose the origin stories of 90% of the characters. That's a big part of why the series is special, you are following groups of characters through different escapades that have ties to the greater story. Some parts are more irrelevant than others obviously.

As for what I'd recommend if you want to stream line the series and still get the most from it...

Iron Man - skippable. Good origin story for Stark but it's impact of the wider series so far is basically a post credit scene.

Incredible Hulk - do you know who the Hulk is? Skip.

Iron Man 2 - Worst film in the series, skip, has no real relevance to anything.

Thor - origin story for Thor and another character. Skippable.

Captain America - origin story for Cap and begins the set up of a couple of ongoing stories. Can be skipped, I probably would watch (I also think it's an underrated film in the series).

Avengers - watch. And watch the end credit scene for a teaser of where you're going.

Iron Man 3 - skip. Side story, one of the most divisive films in the series.

Thor 2 - skip. Introduces another element but the film itself doesn't add much.

Captain America Winter Soldier - one of the best films in the series, it's quite standalone in many ways but continues (starts?) a running plotline. I'd watch just because it's a good movie.

Guardians of the Galaxy - intro to a whole new team and a whole new part of the series - is also a fun movie and does some world building for bigger plotlines - watch.

Avengers Age of Ultron - watch. It's the worst of the Avengers films and might be even more so if you're jumping through the series and missing some of the developments that culminate here, but it also introduces a few things and it's a decent film.

Ant-man - skip. Good fun side story and introduces a new character and concepts that come up later, but skippable.

Captain America Civil War - watch. It's a really good film, one of the series best, sets up some characters and plotlines that would not be obvious if you just jump past it. As part of the bigger narrative is basically a side story, but an important one. Also it's basically an Avengers movie by another name.

Doctor Strange - origin for a new character and more developments. Skippable as it's not massively relevant outside of a new, different, important character and another new element (that at this point you can probably guess what that is...)

GotGv2 - skippable. Side story.

Spider-Man Homecoming - skippable, but it's a good movie.

Thor Ragnarok - watch. Very good film, directly leads into an Avengers film.

Black Panther - skippable. Decent film, but it's main impact on the Avengers films is establishing a place, which you can just go with.

Avengers Infinity War - watch. Top 3 in the series.

Ant-man and the Wasp - watch, or at least watch the post credit scene. Weaker movie but directly leads into an Avengers film.

Captain Marvel - origin for a new character. Might become more important in later films. I want to say skip but bits of an Avengers film will be a bit 'wtf' of you don't know who this character is. Maybe read the plot synopsis?

Avengers Endgame - watch.

Therefore the options for me would be

Most streamlined option - just watch the Avengers films but know you'll be missing context in some aspects and you're kinda missing the best things about the series. You'll just have to go with some things.

Min-max option - Avengers, Winter Soldier, GotG, AoU, Civil War, Ragnarok, Infinity War, Ant-man and the Wasp post credit, read Captain Marvel's film wiki synopsis, Endgame. You'll still have some 'shrug?' moments but you get the best bang for your buck from the films for the overall plot. You skip a lot of origin stuff, a bunch of side stories that are irrelevant, watch most of the best movies in the series and get most of the Avengers set up/development done.

I think that's right. I'm not quite up to speed today so I might have missed something.

Myself and the good lady are currently watching these in order we are about to watch Avengers , we’ve really enjoyed them so far 👍

2 hours ago, sne said:

Really struggling to stay invested in the new Matrix movie. About 30 mins in and it's so meta that it feels like I'm watching a comedy.

Not surprising since only the first one was any good but honestly no idea why they felt they needed to tell this story again. Answer is money of course but still.

Massively disappointing. 

Should have just stuck with the 1 movie. Slightly tarnished by some awful sequels. I didn't mind the 2nd one but the 3rd and now this one are just shit. 

1 hour ago, Chine said:

Myself and the good lady are currently watching these in order we are about to watch Avengers , we’ve really enjoyed them so far 👍

Get yourself over to the MCU thread when you're done :thumb:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sne said:

2 hours ago, theboyangel said:

I’m not interested in the Matrix Reboot as the trailer clearly made it out to be a retelling of the original. 

I can wait a year or so for it to turn up on one of the streaming services to give it a watch. 

It’s not actually a retelling of the original story. The strongest parts of the movie are when they flirt with that, and subverting the  concept / characters imo (although sadly they don’t really deliver on it).

The weakest part is literally everything else. It would have been a way better film if the story was as focused as it was in the first film, instead of being so meandering.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Just back from watching the new Kingsman movie.

Easily one of the worst things I've seen for a good while. Absolutely woeful and unforgivingly boring.

That’s a shame but not surprising really. The first one was terrific, the second a bit of a let down so didn’t hold much hope for the third! 

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Paddington 2 just finished on BBC1. 

Still magnificent. 

Have to agree, the credits scene is fantastic!

cannot wait for the third instalment! 

if that is as good as the first two, the Paddington series could be amongst the greatest movie trilogies of all time! 

• Like 1

Â