The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Crimson Peak. According to Kermode, Del Toro's best since Pan's Labyrinth. 

Nah. As a gore-fest send up of the whole gothic genre, it was OK, but no more than that. Cumberbatch was probably wise to bail out on it. 

• Like 2

Found Bonded by Blood, another take on the Rettendon murders but with Tamar Hassan as Pat Tate, will be interesting to compare his performance in the role as opposed to Craig Fairbass. Seems another Football Factory ROTFS amalgamation. Not expecting much but you never know image.jpeg.0ed0a6c58dd06ff1de72d7abc16deee8.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Follyfoot

2 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

Cracking old film on BBC2 right now so should be on iPlayer later.

Witness for the prosecution 1957

Charles Laughton was having a ball with this character, brilliant fun, although its a crime drama. Highly recommended.

Wife and I went to watch the stageplay in the County Hall "courtroom" in London a few years back (film is one of her favourites, in fact she'd introduced me to it) and I'd heartily recommend it to anyone.  You can buy tickets to sit in the jury box.

• Like 1

Just now, GarethRDR said:

Wife and I went to watch the stageplay in the County Hall "courtroom" in London a few years back (film is one of her favourites, in fact she'd introduced me to it) and I'd heartily recommend it to anyone.  You can buy tickets to sit in the jury box.

I like the sound of that, its a great story, theatre atmosphere is amazing, did the cast do it justice?

10 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Crimson Peak. According to Kermode, Del Toro's best since Pan's Labyrinth. 

Nah. As a gore-fest send up of the whole gothic genre, it was OK, but no more than that. Cumberbatch was probably wise to bail out on it. 

I haven't watched Crimson Peak, but Pan's Labyrinth was nowhere near as good as Kermode made it out to be, so I decided to not put any stock in what Kermode has to say about Del Toro movies.

• Shocked 1

22 hours ago, Bizzzle said:

Watched Don’t look up whilst I was **** out of my face on Xmas day and I think I liked it

I watched about  the first 45 minutes, nodded off (not because of the film) and woke up and saw the last 15 minutes

Totally spoilered it for myself

It looked very good for a Netflix film but I'll never watch it now

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

I haven't watched Crimson Peak, but Pan's Labyrinth was nowhere near as good as Kermode made it out to be, so I decided to not put any stock in what Kermode has to say about Del Toro movies.

I thought Pan’s Labyrinth was beautiful. 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, El Zen said:

I thought Pan’s Labyrinth was beautiful. 

And me, really enjoyed it and thought it lived up to the hype (relative hype, I watch it early doors ish from memory) I like the civil war stuff as much as the fantasy 

But I'm not a del toro fan, he's overrated and his CV is nothing special

10 hours ago, greyvillan said:

Pan’s Lab …big yes from me. Loved it first time and every time I’ve seen it since…… magical, with the war story a balancing kick in the head!

Loved Pan's Labyrinth and watched it several times when it came out. Haven't seen it in about 15 years though so not sure how well it'd hold up. Will have to give it another go some time soon. 

Â