The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

1 hour ago, Ingram85 said:

Watching The Matrix for the first time in years. It’s still great. The only thing that’s aged is the late 90’s soundtrack. 

I was blown away (KW) when I watched it at the cinema, back when it was released. One of the few films I have seen multiple times at the cinema. 

2 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Just watched "Nobody".

easily my favourite film of the year, and probably longer.

Bob Odenkirk is **** brilliant

It’s a cracking disengage brain movie. 

I agree about Odenkirk - he really was terrific in it! 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Just watched "Nobody".

easily my favourite film of the year, and probably longer.

Bob Odenkirk is **** brilliant

Spoiler

Loved the part when the fella saw his 7/2 tattoo and thanked him for his service whilst locking away from the potential fight 

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Watching The Matrix for the first time in years. It’s still great. The only thing that’s aged is the late 90’s soundtrack. 

The dress sense has really aged too. Same with the Blade films. Was all the black / leather ever cool?

Cracking film though. And oddly enough I think the music still works fine - can’t think of better alternatives to Clubbed to Death and Spybreak for the scenes they are in, for example. Maybe Wake Up by Rage at the end of the film is a bit much now, but it was pretty on the nose even in the 90s!

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

Thanks for this list!

Ended up watching

- Avengers
- Cap America: Winter Soldier
- Avengers AoU
- Civil War
- Doctor Strange
- Spiderman: Homecoming
- Thor Ragnarok
- Infinity War
- Endgame

Overall it was better than expected though I don't need to see a superhero film for a long time now. My favourite film out of them all was probably Dr Strange. Not so much for the story, but mainly for the visuals. A lot of the trippy stuff was really cool and it looked amazing in 4K HDR. The story was a bit meh tho.

There was a moment in Endgame where...

Hide contents

In the final battle with Thanos there's a scene where all the women superheroes come into shot to fight together and the whole thing felt so forced and unnecessary. Kinda ruined the immersion of the whole battle. Was just so out of place. 

Also I didn't watch the Captain Marvel film but her character just felt completely shoehorned in and incredibly unnecessary. But I'm sure there's reasons why she was involved that I'm not familiar with. 

That scene is horrible and they didn't get away with it, a lot of people and fans called them out on it

Chindie will probably know this but I don't know the captain marvel film exists beyond unfortunately cynically saying they wanted a female lead and they wanted the villains for thr next phase 

I watched Don’t Look Up today. When I think of great satire I think of something like Four Lions, and it’s nowhere near as funny or pointed as that - but I still enjoyed it. It’s good, but not great. Certainly worth a watch though.

I liked the ending. It ended exactly how I expected it to, but I thought the characters were done quite well at the end. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Panto_Villan said:

I watched Don’t Look Up today. When I think of great satire I think of something like Four Lions, and it’s nowhere near as funny or pointed as that - but I still enjoyed it. It’s good, but not great. Certainly worth a watch though.

I liked the ending. It ended exactly how I expected it to, but I thought the characters were done quite well at the end. 

It was entertaining satire, but it also managed to be believable if you lived the last five years through the CNN  lens as I did. It left me feeling depressed though, because I couldn't help equating the " Meryl Streep" presidential character with an equally dumb blond "Boris Johnson".

Â