The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Don't Look Up: I liked it, then I hated it, then I liked it again.

I went in pretty cold so I didn't really know what it was trying to be. When I thought it was a serious film at first I was really excited, because I"m a sucker for disaster movie. Then when it transitioned into a satirical comedy I found it infuriating because everyone was so **** stupid in it.

But once I realised what it was (basically a huge parody of Trump and social media) I settled into it and enjoyed it again.

It's not amazing, but a decent watch

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

We are a minority in this environment. At least it feels that way.

I kind of enjoyed " Punisher", though. 

I'm trying to make my way through the MCU films in timeline order. I know the last two Avengers films are meant to be amazing so I decided to try and get through the back catalogue of MCU films to get the best payoff at the end.

But **** me it's hard work. There are some good films in there, but a lot of the films early on in the timeline are so so shit.

Don't Look Up is interesting. Can't be many films with a bigger gap between critical consensus (it's obvious, it's over-stuffed, it's a crap analogy, the actors are misused and step on their lines, it's not as funny as it should be) and what seems to be the public consensus, (not only on this forum either), which is more like it's funny, it's a good satire of the Trump style of charismatic demagogue, it makes an important point about climate change etc.

When this type of split occurs, I usually find myself in the critics' camp, but honestly I think the public reaction is more on the money in this case and that it's a (significantly) better piece than the critics are giving it credit for.

• Like 2

Punisher on Netflix is brilliant! 

As for Don't Look Up... don't think I will bother. I'm no fan of satire in films. I want to be entertained and not have politics dragged into it

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

Punisher on Netflix is brilliant! 

As for Don't Look Up... don't think I will bother. I'm no fan of satire in films. I want to be entertained and not have politics dragged into it

As I know you like The Thick of It, what about In the loop?

Just now, Mark Albrighton said:

As I know you like The Thick of It, what about In the loop?

Found it strange with the same actors playing different characters! Its not a patch on the series, although there are funny moments in there. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Found it strange with the same actors playing different characters! Its not a patch on the series, although there are funny moments in there. 

Yeah in fairness I don’t like it in comparison to the series and didn’t much care for Malcolm still being Malcolm, but Ollie not being Ollie (but still kinda being a bit like Ollie) for instance. A bit odd.

I would still say shying away from satire in films prevents you from enjoying a lot of good stuff. 

1 minute ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Yeah in fairness I don’t like it in comparison to the series and didn’t much care for Malcolm still being Malcolm, but Ollie not being Ollie (but still kinda being a bit like Ollie) for instance. A bit odd.

I would still say shying away from satire in films prevents you from enjoying a lot of good stuff. 

In a political comedy or political film, then satire is inevitable. But, when watching a disaster movie, or superhero hero, I'd rather nods and winks about politics are left out. In those movies I want my US President as bland and safe as they come :D

You never get satire in a Danny Dyer or Craig Faribrass movies ;) 

24 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

@sheepyvillian if you want punisher watch the Netflix series, maybe need to watch daredevil too but that's not a bad thing

They're as good as anything thr films have put out imo 

Maybe maybe venture out to Jessica Jones season 1 just don't go beyond that unless it's your thing 

That's the Punisher I watched. I loved both seasons. I thought preacher stole the show in season 2. He brought some depth to that role instead of hamming it up like some actors would have.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm trying to make my way through the MCU films in timeline order. I know the last two Avengers films are meant to be amazing so I decided to try and get through the back catalogue of MCU films to get the best payoff at the end.

But **** me it's hard work. There are some good films in there, but a lot of the films early on in the timeline are so so shit.

Once they start with the super power thing, I'm looking for my coat. The only comic I loved was Tiger and Scorcher. I still wonder, to this day, if Billy Dane has still got them boots.

Edited by sheepyvillian

9 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Don't Look Up is interesting. Can't be many films with a bigger gap between critical consensus (it's obvious, it's over-stuffed, it's a crap analogy, the actors are misused and step on their lines, it's not as funny as it should be) and what seems to be the public consensus, (not only on this forum either), which is more like it's funny, it's a good satire of the Trump style of charismatic demagogue, it makes an important point about climate change etc.

When this type of split occurs, I usually find myself in the critics' camp, but honestly I think the public reaction is more on the money in this case and that it's a (significantly) better piece than the critics are giving it credit for.

The points made by the critics are all valid imo, I think it remains a decent movie nonetheless.

The idea of people chanting “don’t look up” once the comet is actually visible in the sky is ridiculous, for example. It’s not actually good satire. But it is darkly funny after the last few years we’ve had.

But then pretty much everyone here is in the target audience - we believe in vaccines and fighting climate change, etc. If you were a right-leaning American you’d probably feel differently, as the view that (say)!the economic cost of lockdowns isn’t worth it is parodied with “we’re for the jobs the comet will bring”. I laughed, but again it’s too blunt to be good satire.

The other character I thought missed the mark was the rich tycoon guy. He was funny, but pretty much all the current crop of super billionaires are charismatic rather than socially awkward and very data driven (launching rockets into space isn’t a forgiving business so you have to be). I’d actually rather have Musk or Bezos in charge of deflecting a comet than a lot of political leaders. The character worked within the movie but I’m not sure the satire did.

Better satire like Four Lions has you sympathising with suicide bombers, or The Thick of It helping you understand the fundamental absurdity of modern politics. This is just a story where people we don’t like are stupid in exaggerated but familiar ways, which is fun to watch but not overly clever.

Edited by Panto_Villan

Adam McKay is building quite a body of work now isn't he?

Writer/Director/Producer on Don't Look Up, Vice and The Big Short in recent years.

I've not seen Don't look up yet but Vice is very good and The Big Short is a fantastic film and then before that he was the writer/producer (and at times director) on Anchorman and it's sequels and a lot of other Will Ferrell stuff, he's produced Succession for TV, and heck, he's even responsible for Between Two Ferns withwith Zach Galifianakis. 

He's currently involved in a mini-series about the Walmart heiress's and his series "This giant beast that is the Global economy" is well worth catching.

Put me down as a fan.

4 hours ago, Panto_Villan said:

The other character I thought missed the mark was the rich tycoon guy. He was funny, but pretty much all the current crop of super billionaires are charismatic rather than socially awkward and very data driven (launching rockets into space isn’t a forgiving business so you have to be). I’d actually rather have Musk or Bezos in charge of deflecting a comet than a lot of political leaders. The character worked within the movie but I’m not sure the satire did.

spacer.png

• Like 1

Â