The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

201803292314104886.jpg?resize=800,449
An Elephant Sitting Still - In the northern Chinese city of Manzhouli, they say there is an elephant that simply sits and ignores the world. Manzhouli becomes an obsession for the protagonists of this film, a longed-for escape from the downward spiral in which they find themselves. - Bleak, but well done drama.
  • Like 3

Ghostbusters tonight …

really enjoyed it , lots of nods and winks to the originals , daft as it sound what with it being a ghostbusters movie but I actually thought the film went downhill at the point when the main ghosts appeared . The film sorta went from a supernatural film with a similar character chemistry to the IT remakes to camp horror with marshmallow minions 

but , still an enjoyable film and +1 for shoehorning in the Ray  Parker / Huey Lewis theme song at the end 

Edited by tonyh29

Petite Maman- well it's Celine Sciamma and Kermode waxed lyrical about it so had high expectations of this ( Portrait of a woman on fire was flawless ) but sadly it's a all.a bit 'is that it?' 72 minutes long and no reason for that as it could have improved the film by not having quite so many abrupt scene changes which interrupts the flow and feel.of.the film. The kids are very sweet and there's plenty of charm in the film but overall it felt frustratingly wanting in whatever it was trying to do.

Been on a classics kick last few days so last night watched, 'Casablanca'.

Exceptional movie with a great cast. First time I had ever seen it and I can see why it won Best Picture.

Tonight going to continue in the same classics vein and watch another Bogart movie, 'Key Largo'

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Big Salad said:

Been on a classics kick last few days so last night watched, 'Casablanca'.

Exceptional movie with a great cast. First time I had ever seen it and I can see why it won Best Picture.

Tonight going to continue in the same classics vein and watch another Bogart movie, 'Key Largo'

I love Bogart. I can give you a good list if you like but the Maltese Falcon and Big Heat are two of my favourites, curve ball one - In a Lonely Place, it's a different Boggie, but brilliant non the less 

• Like 1

bringing-up-baby-48.jpg

Bringing Up Baby - It was wonderful, Kathernine Hepburn was brilliant in every sense of the word, Cary Grant was very good too.

a72ae24184d44263e7e5840264d51519afdc4498

The Apartment - I really enjoyed this movie, Jack Lemon and Shirley Maclaine were great, as was Jack Kruschen as the Doctor.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Watched "Red Notice",  2/10 (1 point to exist,  1 point to for it to finish).  I hated almost all of it and split it into 3 parts so it didn't seem so long.

Easily one of the worst films I have seen for a long time.

Utterly useless in every way possible and I can't think of anything nice to say but I will give it a go:-

"2 out of 10, It's like a shit Carry on film without the laughs,  timing or plot."

Sorry to pry, but why did you watch it all?

I thought it was simple escapist fun, even the end credits scrolled up merrily.

• Like 2

watched Ghosbusters the original film last night ahead of possibly seeing the new one this weekend. Hadn't seen it in a long long time. It's just a fairly bang average 80s film isn't it? Aside from a couple of the memorable scenes and lines that stick in the mind, it's fairly ordinary. 

12 minutes ago, Rodders said:

watched Ghosbusters the original film last night ahead of possibly seeing the new one this weekend. Hadn't seen it in a long long time. It's just a fairly bang average 80s film isn't it? Aside from a couple of the memorable scenes and lines that stick in the mind, it's fairly ordinary. 

I get where you’re coming from. It’s good, I enjoy it but I think it holds a place in the public affection that maybe it doesn’t quite warrant. It’s a really fun concept and Bill Murray is fantastic. 

If, as originally planned, John Belushi was in it instead of Murray, I think it would have been a noticeably weaker film. 

Maybe I’d have to watch the two back to back, but I don’t remember the sequel being as bad as it’s generally regarded. Bill Murray giving a 6/10 performance is still an amusing watch, which compared to his cameo in the 2016 film is a tour de force.

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I get where you’re coming from. It’s good, I enjoy it but I think it holds a place in the public affection that maybe it doesn’t quite warrant. It’s a really fun concept and Bill Murray is fantastic. 

If, as originally planned, John Belushi was in it instead of Murray, I think it would have been a noticeably weaker film. 

Maybe I’d have to watch the two back to back, but I don’t remember the sequel being as bad as it’s generally regarded. Bill Murray giving a 6/10 performance is still an amusing watch, which compared to his cameo in the 2016 film is a tour de force.

I totally get nostalgia and affection for it is huge, but I suppose for me at least, compared to say back to the future films or indiana jones etc, it's weaker. But I'll always love deadpan Bill Murray. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Rodders said:

I totally get nostalgia and affection for it is huge, but I suppose for me at least, compared to say back to the future films or indiana jones etc, it's weaker. But I'll always love deadpan Bill Murray. 

Agree, I like ghostbusters and had all the toys for it that I didn't for those other films but those other films are better - doesn't make ghostbusters bad, those other films are excellent though 

For me add goonies and ET to BTTF and indy as the tier 1 80s family films, ghostbusters is tier 2 along with Roger rabbit, Beetlejuice, honey I shrunk the kids, never ending story, karate kid, short circuit

I've never seen labrynth, think I'm probably too old for it now too

Also saw that romancing the stone was on one of the streaming services Ive got, will watch that over Xmas, that's been a long time 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

For me, the original Ghostbusters must be one of the most over-rated films ever made, and the cult around it is baffling to me. It's not that it's *bad* exactly, but it's just nowhere near worth the weird obsession men my age seem to have with it.

• Like 1

Â