The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

its how its always been, when i had my cineworld card i was doing stuff like 10am sunday morning showings of asian films or even a place beyond the pines and only god forgives, 1 special showing a week

then they get a bit of traction in award season and come back, im sure i watched crash at like 2pm on a tuesday afternoon in its opening week because thats the only showing per day they did, then it won the oscar and came back 

I don't mind the times in general, but I thought King Richard was a pretty big release, and for it to only get 1 week of evening showings was really surprising.

Something that struck me by watching The Matrix again the other day for the first time in years and years, is how nothing much happens in the film.

I don't mean that as a criticism. It's an absolutely brilliant film. But so much of it is taken up by explaining what The Matrix is and where they are, that on a rewatch you realise that all that really happens is

Spoiler

They get Neo out of the Matrix, they teach him to be a badass, Morpheus gets kidnapped, they rescue him, the end

Dunno if I need to spoiler a 22 year old movie but there you go.

Also, I used to be a big defender of the sequels. But I think I was just being stubborn. I rewatched Reloaded and **** me it's shit

The original Matrix is genuinely brilliant. The sequels are pretentious trash. And they don't even keep the great action as they did ridiculous crap like the burly brawl with CG that couldn't do it at the time.

The seemingly great thing about this sequel is that it appears to be both a reboot and a reboot. Very clever.

1 minute ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Here's another film off YouTube I really liked - its about the brutality of office life and the black and white is stunning:

Yes, one of my favourite character actors of the time is in this, Everett Sloane. Nice to have another black n white noir/thriller fan on here.

7 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Yes, one of my favourite character actors of the time is in this, Everett Sloane. Nice to have another black n white noir/thriller fan on here.

I always appreciate those actors who seem to regularly turn up but no one knows their name.

Due to my interest film noir, I have quite a liking for Dan Duryea - one of the great villains, who always seems to cop it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Fan of "The Third Man" ?

2 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Remember watching this as a kid and being terrified!

No idea how it holds up today. I'm guessing the effects are laughable by today's standards but Richard Burton could read the recite the phone book and it would great!

The third man is highly respected and rightly so, probably the high point in Carol Reeds career. The cast is great, the music is unforgettable, although I find it intrusive in some scenes, but overall a great thriller and one of Welles best.

the medusa touch was an interesting film with A great performance from Lino Ventura, his voice almost a match for Burton's. Burton's voice was a gift from God, I like his intro in Zulu, particularly the way he says February. I looked this up again a few years ago and it was still a good watch. There is a great Parkinson interview on YouTube where he talks about his voice and a great Dylan Thomas and Olivier impressions.

1 minute ago, Follyfoot said:

image.jpeg.f654a508904ad9c60e009f91e4a4e98f.jpeg

Found this last night in the loft, will give it a go this evening. Cannot remember a great deal about it apart from the fact it has Beryl Reid in it

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1

On 07/12/2021 at 16:15, Stevo985 said:

Also, I used to be a big defender of the sequels. But I think I was just being stubborn. I rewatched Reloaded and **** me it's shit

Reloaded was just complete trash. That ridiculous exposition dump at the end of the film. It seemed to end in a really abrupt way.

The biggest sin it committed was that to actually understand the final act of the film you had to have played the "Enter The Matrix" game. Who in the movie studio signed that off?? 

19 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Found this last night in the loft, will give it a go this evening. Cannot remember a great deal about it apart from the fact it has Beryl Reid in it

Crikey, films you'd forgotten existed and then remember quite a bit about it. Famously, George Sanders final film before committing suicide through boredom, something he told David Niven he would do at some point some 30/40 years beforehand.

Â