The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

5 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Is that show worth watching?

Yeah its pretty good, it's throw away time killer but it knows it, got a streak of humour running through it rather than being overly serious

Toys that made us is good too but that one I only watched toys I had so maybe half of it

• Thanks 1

that_obscure_object_of_desire.jpg?w=584

That Obscure Object of Desire (Luis Buñuel) -  I Liked it, interesting use of two actresses to play the main woman.

ti112409.jpg

After Hours (Martin Scorsese) - I thought this was good.

1f11a621-8b67-4503-890f-c7fb08bd0b1a.jpg

Annette (Leos Carax) - I think I really liked this quite a lot, lots of great scenes, and great ending.

Edited by useless

Was very excited about watching Dune so did last night. Visually very impressive but got to be honest being underwhelmed overall. Don’t get me wrong it’s alright but cannot see what all the raving is about. Solid 6 out of 10 no more. 

• Like 1

2701.jpg?width=445&quality=45&auto=forma

This last night.

It was about as far from what I expected it to be as was reasonably possible. A really very strange film indeed considering the subject.

Stewart is absolutely brilliant, and the film itself is essentially a caricature of what Diana was perceived to be like.

I think it was brilliant, but it took me about half the film to settle into it because it was so different to what I was expecting

• Like 3

the score from johnny greenwood is so unsettling, keeps you tense the whole way through and doesn't let up. Found myself a bit surprised by how moving it was. I mean there's obviously the inherent tragedy to it all in what's to come for her, but the scene towards the end when she's driving off in the car with the princes really got me and I'm no royalist by I any means, never watched the crown or other royal films but this was good.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Rodders said:

the score from johnny greenwood is so unsettling, keeps you tense the whole way through and doesn't let up. Found myself a bit surprised by how moving it was. I mean there's obviously the inherent tragedy to it all in what's to come for her, but the scene towards the end when she's driving off in the car with the princes really got me and I'm no royalist by I any means, never watched the crown or other royal films but this was good.

Yeah the music is incredible. It's like a horror film at times. I said to my friend it was more like The Babadook than The Crown :D 

Interested to see how people interpreted Timothy Spall's character, the Major

Spoiler

By then end I saw it that he was actually on Diana's side. I saw it as Diana didn't KNOW about Charles' affair with Camilla, although she had her suspicions. The Major WAS the one who left the book about Anne Boleyn in Diana's room, as a way of hinting to her what was going on. The constant discussion of him seeing everything, and everyone there knowing everything was actually hinting at him knowing about Charles. And he actually was trying to protect Diana.

That bit at the very end where Charles comes into the room with the rest of the royals, after Diana has left, and looks like he's about to tell them something... I thought that was him about to tell them about Camilla (or maybe about he and Diana intending to split up)

Ultimately I think you have to quickly realise it's not an accurate depiction of what happened. It is what it claims to be at the very start "A fable based on a real tragedy".

It's an incredibly fictionalised account. Anyone expecting it to be accurate (like my mom!) might be disappointed :D 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah the music is incredible. It's like a horror film at times. I said to my friend it was more like The Babadook than The Crown :D 

Interested to see how people interpreted Timothy Spall's character, the Major

Hide contents

By then end I saw it that he was actually on Diana's side. I saw it as Diana didn't KNOW about Charles' affair with Camilla, although she had her suspicions. The Major WAS the one who left the book about Anne Boleyn in Diana's room, as a way of hinting to her what was going on. The constant discussion of him seeing everything, and everyone there knowing everything was actually hinting at him knowing about Charles. And he actually was trying to protect Diana.

That bit at the very end where Charles comes into the room with the rest of the royals, after Diana has left, and looks like he's about to tell them something... I thought that was him about to tell them about Camilla (or maybe about he and Diana intending to split up)

Ultimately I think you have to quickly realise it's not an accurate depiction of what happened. It is what it claims to be at the very start "A fable based on a real tragedy".

It's an incredibly fictionalised account. Anyone expecting it to be accurate (like my mom!) might be disappointed :D 

Yeah, I wasn't bothered about the factual accuracy tbh, I read up a fair amount about it before I watched it so I expected it to be a more emotion evoking experience (which it was - it made me angry and sad in equal measures)

I tell you what though, factually accurate or not I would like to bet that the oppression she felt and the erasure of her identity were absolutely bang on.

Really terrific film.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Was very excited about watching Dune so did last night. Visually very impressive but got to be honest being underwhelmed overall. Don’t get me wrong it’s alright but cannot see what all the raving is about. Solid 6 out of 10 no more. 

I reckon you would have loved it if Craig Fairbrass played Paul.

"Oi You **** worm! Have that you caaaant!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Yeah, I wasn't bothered about the factual accuracy tbh, I read up a fair amount about it before I watched it so I expected it to be a more emotion evoking experience (which it was - it made me angry and sad in equal measures)

Yeah this is critical I think. I spent the first half an hour/45 minutes thinking "This is a bit far fetched, what the **** is going on?!"

Then right around when

Spoiler

She started eating her pearls out of the soup

I was like "oooohhhh ok. It's that kind of film". Then it all clicked into place.

It's one of those where the more I think about it afterwards the more I realise how good it was (evidenced by me updating my lettrboxd rating this morning :D )

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah this is critical I think. I spent the first half an hour/45 minutes thinking "This is a bit far fetched, what the **** is going on?!"

Then right around when

Hide contents

She started eating her pearls out of the soup

I was like "oooohhhh ok. It's that kind of film". Then it all clicked into place.

It's one of those where the more I think about it afterwards the more I realise how good it was (evidenced by me updating my lettrboxd rating this morning :D )

Not sure if you've seen it but I recommend Jackie by the same director. Very good movie imo and Portman is great.

spacer.png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Not sure if you've seen it but I recommend Jackie by the same director. Very good movie imo and Portman is great.

spacer.png

I've never got round to that one but it's been on the list for a while!

It’s daft, over the top, but very entertaining. That tram sequence is so daft I can’t help but love it. One of the few Bay films I would sit through.

What always surprises me about that and the other two big budget Cage action films from that time (Con Air and Face/Off) is that people regularly seem to love one or two of them but really dislike the other(s).

To me they’re all basically the same. I can’t see how someone could love one and not the others.

31 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

It’s daft, over the top, but very entertaining. That tram sequence is so daft I can’t help but love it. One of the few Bay films I would sit through.

What always surprises me about that and the other two big budget Cage action films from that time (Con Air and Face/Off) is that people regularly seem to love one or two of them but really dislike the other(s).

To me they’re all basically the same. I can’t see how someone could love one and not the others.

Yeah I'm not really a fan of face off but love the other 2

Maybe it's more nostalgia but for me the rock is one of the 90s action films 

I know point break gets a lot of love but I'm not really a fan of that, it's OK nothing more, id take the rock over it 

On 18/11/2021 at 18:27, DeadlyDirk said:

Geeked out this afternoonand caught a 1pm showing of Ghostbusters: Afterlife...

NO SPOILERS HERE!

To give context, as a kid the original Ghostbusters was one of my favourite films, had it on VHS and dare not imagine how many times I watched it, so I was very excited for this....

Despite a wee lull in the middle of the film, I thought it was a film made and produced out of love for the Original Ghostbusters, loved the litle nods littered around the film and this film sledgehammered me with the feels. Truly brilliant.

Not sure how it'd be received if you where a bit "Dis n' Dat" with the original film though.... Might love it, might be meh!

massive ghostbusters fan, glad it was good!

• Like 1

Â