The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

5 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

For me, the original Ghostbusters must be one of the most over-rated films ever made, and the cult around it is baffling to me. It's not that it's *bad* exactly, but it's just nowhere near worth the weird obsession men my age seem to have with it.

I agree. I don't think its terrible but its not of the same ilk as Indy, ET, BTTF, Goonies etc. Not by a mile. I guess it had an iconic song and memorable characters it managed to gain cult status. I'd argue Gremlins is superior as well. 

I was never a fan of the cartoon either (Was it called The Real Ghostbusters?). It was out the same time as the Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles and I was much more of a fan of that. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I've never seen labrynth, think I'm probably too old for it now too

Also saw that romancing the stone was on one of the streaming services Ive got, will watch that over Xmas, that's been a long time 

Never too late to watch Labyrinth. Watch it along with Masters of the Universe and the Never Ending Story and you'll feel like you're tripping your tits off!

I liked Romancing the Stone as well as the sequel, the Jewel of the Nile. Loved those 'treasure hunt' type movies. National Treasure was like a call back to those. 

Dune - don't know the source material and never seen any.of.the other iterations of the story, so can't comment on that side of things but I really liked it, but Villeneuve really makes you feel his films are twice the length they actually are.

15 hours ago, Rodders said:

Dune - don't know the source material and never seen any.of.the other iterations of the story, so can't comment on that side of things but I really liked it, but Villeneuve really makes you feel his films are twice the length they actually are.

Having read the book now (we’ll I’m halfway through but I’m up to where the film ends) it seems like it’s the length it is for a reason. 

It strikes me as an incredibly loyal representation of the book and to shorten it would make it too convoluted and confusing. 

But to be fair I didn’t think the film felt overly long at all anyway so maybe I’m biased

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

But to be fair I didn’t think the film felt overly long at all anyway so maybe I’m biased

I felt if there was criticism of the film, it's that it was too short, parts of it felt rushed, like we didn't get enough time to care about the characters.

It's perfectly suited to a five series HBO thing; I really like the film, but I think it's probably taken that possibility away.

51 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I felt if there was criticism of the film, it's that it was too short, parts of it felt rushed, like we didn't get enough time to care about the characters.

It's perfectly suited to a five series HBO thing; I really like the film, but I think it's probably taken that possibility away.

There’s 5 other books after “Dune” so there’s plenty of source material if they want to branch out

• Like 2

10 hours ago, useless said:

Screen-Shot-2020-01-16-at-12.24.29-PM.pn

Portrait of a Lady on Fire - This was good.

One of a few films I've felt on first alone was pretty much flawless. Wonderful film. 

Saw Tick Tick Boom! On Netflix, film-musical version of Jonathan Larsen's semi auto biographical tale of trying to get his first musical picked up by producers. Directed.by Lin Manuel Miranda so you're in safe hands here, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Glad it wasn't "my pick" a really pleasant l and moving surprise.

8 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Netflix original films, they’re just meh aren’t they? Just middle of the road films, churned out en masse.

Films and TV shows by numbers now. 

8 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Netflix original films, they’re just meh aren’t they? Just middle of the road films, churned out en masse.

Probably due to where they come from, they're not producing them they're just distributing them, seen a couple of articles on them in the last few years, firstly that they heavily attend the film festival circuits and try and snap everything up that they can, secondly for whatever reason they decided in 2021 to release a stupid number of films, means they've gone full scattergun, it's almost like they got feedback from customers that they didn't have enough films so they thought here you go here's 74 of them

There are some really good ones beasts of no nations, fatherhood, mank, marriage story, siege of jadotville, 22 July, roma

The disappointing thing is that they've also gone full bombardment with the docuseries but 5 odd years ago when they started original documentaries they were brilliant winter on fire, the nina Simone one, 13th, the Egypt one etc

I know the answer to the question is Ridley Scott, but still.  Who thought it was a bright idea to cast Ben Affleck and Matt Damon as King/knight in a bleak historic :rolleyes: movie set in 1380's Europe?

I can live with Adam Driver in this movie but Affleck & Damon instantly make it feel like some SNL spoof. Does not work for me, they are terrible. 

The scenery is nice and I'm sure the supporting cast is good, but I had to turn The Last Duel off after 35 minutes or so. Maybe I'll return to it one day when I'm really bored but not tonight.

• Like 2

Â