The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

4 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I usually avoid his films to be honest, and I think he's pretty overrated. I haven't seen a film of his I really enjoyed since The Prestige.

Exactly how I feel. Prestige was great. Everything else, meh.

Also whats his obsession with Michael Caine?

• Haha 1

On 23/08/2020 at 02:58, Chindie said:

DC 'Fandome' (...sigh) event this weekend has seen a bunch of trailers. The most notable of which is.. 

I'm still not 100% sold but it looks better than I expected. The suit definitely benefits from, ahem, cinematic lighting.

Just reminded me of this:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

This is no doubt mega old news and something that has passed me by, but thought I'd mention that I noticed last night that Amazon Prime have some 4K films available, the kids have just started watching Jurassic Park (1993), we've only seen it a bazillion times already, the picture looks good (55" old 4k Panasonic), sound (5.1) is good.

• Like 1

I just watched “The Lighthouse”

Not really sure it’s a film that’s meant to be enjoyed. It’s **** weird and uncomfortable and I have many many questions that I assume are unanswerable. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Not really sure it’s a film that’s meant to be enjoyed. It’s **** weird and uncomfortable and I have many many questions that I assume are unanswerable. 

Masterpiece.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Masterpiece.

Not for me. 

It was decent enough. Beautifully shot, great performances. But I was bored for a significant part in the middle and it’s one of those annoyingly deliberately ambiguous films that just leaves you with hundreds of questions. 

that’s good to an extent. I don’t want everything wrapped up with a bow on and spoon fed to me. But I just feel a bit unsatisfied with this one. 

1 hour ago, Designer1 said:

Masterpiece.

Sounds like it. I'll probably never get around to watching it, but Stevo985's synopsis describes essentially what usually makes for a great production!

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Them: "Question everything."

Me: "But, why?"

On 27/08/2020 at 20:08, Designer1 said:

Memento for me is still his best film.

I hated Inception. 

I wouldn’t go so far as to say I dislike Inception, but it certainly seemed to cement the stance of his more loyal supporters (“oh you don’t like it? It’s probably because you didn’t understand it.”). Can’t think of too many directors who have such a staunch fan base.

I agree that Memento is currently still his best film, with the caveat that I have yet to see Tenet or Dunkirk.

I enjoyed Inception, but then for a module on my masters a couple of years later I had to study it from critical theorists points of view. Saw it far too often. I largely like Nolan though even if the plot is weak it rarely fails to be an immersive cinematic experience. Dunkirk was stomach churningly tense and I wish I had seen Interstellar on a big screen. Has his OTT fanboys like many other directors I guess, possibly Batman fan related, who knows. The third of.those films was pants but the others were all fun.

Sounds like he may have gone up his ass with Tenet in terms of trying to be too complicated etc but I still look forward to watching it

Edited by Rodders

4 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I wouldn’t go so far as to say I dislike Inception, but it certainly seemed to cement the stance of his more loyal supporters (“oh you don’t like it? It’s probably because you didn’t understand it.”). Can’t think of too many directors who have such a staunch fan base.

I agree that Memento is currently still his best film, with the caveat that I have yet to see Tenet or Dunkirk.

when Inception was released a poster on here wouldnt take any criticism to it at all. Any criticism was also that you just dont get it

Dont think he posts here anymore :D 

• Haha 1

Â