The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Just finished The Diving Bell and The Butterfly  on MUBI. it's on there until the end of today I think, but highly recommended. Based on a memoir of a french fashion editor who had a stroke and ended up with locked-in syndrome. The film is about how he tries to cope with his own prison. It is so affecting, and very touching. Now just need to excavate all this dust from my eye...

• Like 1

Train to Busan 2: Peninsula was a mess, absolute garbage.

If you like I enjoyed the first one you'll likely hate this one. They have nothing but the name in common. This one was a pure action movie. Think a mix between one of those silly car movies where physics don't apply like Fast & Furious and then mix it with Doomsday (that Rhona Mitra virus flick) only this one is much, much worse.

It's the worst Korean movie I've seen. 4/10 and that's being generous.

• Sad 2

On 23/08/2020 at 10:16, Chindie said:

And some teasers...

Suicide Squad is just James Gunn doing GotG again. Looks decent if also overly stupid - he's gone for the real dregs of characters and the obviously silly ones, Polka Dot Man is just a head shaker. But it's got King Shark so some things are looking up, and Gunn can do this in his sleep.

You can't really say anything about Black Adam, it's obviously still in the concept stages.

I haven’t followed the DC movies, how does this Suicide Squad fit in considering there was already one, with a completely different “team”. Also it says it set in the 70s so I’m guessing time travel element?

Edited by mikeyp102

3 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

I haven’t followed the DC movies, how does this Suicide Squad fit in considering there was already one, with a completely different “team”. Also it says it set in the 70s so I’m guessing time travel element?

I think the answer to this currently is *shrug*.

DC aren't really pursuing a cinematic universe anymore, they're just taking what fits and running with it. People like Robbie's Harley Quinn, so she's Harley Quinn, but there's no certainty that that means it's all the same universe. So this could be a sequel or prequel to the last Suicide Squad film, or it might have absolutely nothing to do with it.

• Thanks 1

I just saw a trailer that has a unique and original storyline. It's called "The Batman", a story about a wealthy benefactor named Bruce Wayne who moonlights as a masked avenger, saving a city called "Gotham" from it's criminal element bent on total destruction. Should be really groundbreaking.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I just saw a trailer that has a unique and original storyline. It's called "The Batman", a story about a wealthy benefactor named Bruce Wayne who moonlights as a masked avenger, saving a city called "Gotham" from it's criminal element bent on total destruction. Should be really groundbreaking.

How’s the trailer been on more than once mate?

Edited by Follyfoot

1 minute ago, darrenm said:

Tenet.

I need to work myself up to reviewing this.

Safe to say it was the 

Reveal hidden contents

worst

Experience I've ever had in the cinema.

I thought it looked absolutely awful since the first clips of it appeared.

Certainly not good enough to get me to go anywhere near a cinema.

The entire concept is hokey as **** and Nolan's fascination with time is getting embarrassing.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I thought it looked absolutely awful since the first clips of it appeared.

Certainly not good enough to get me to go anywhere near a cinema.

The entire concept is hokey as **** and Nolan's fascination with time is getting embarrassing.

I'm still reeling in all honesty. It was everything wrong with Nolan in one film and absolutely nothing right.

• Like 1

So, Tenet

Spoiler

For Nolan films, I'm always a bit conflicted. He's done some huge films and they're usually a good watch. Dunkirk was great, Inception OK, Interstellar pretty good, Batmans good and bad, The Prestige amazing. Some of them really suffer from the same problems which are:

The action sequences never flow properly. The Dark Knight trilogy is worst for this. Stuff happens that doesn't make sense. People do things they wouldn't do. The physics don't work.

And then the sound. I don't know if this is limited to me but I have a really hard time hearing the dialogue in Nolan films. Whether it's in the cinema, home, IMAX, anything. The dialogue is just a boomy midrange buzz and I struggle to pick many words out.

Tenet suffers massively from both of the above. And the science just doesn't work. I took the family for £50 at IMAX and I feel I've wasted every penny. I genuinely wanted to get up and leave halfway through because it just didn't make the slightest bit of sense. It's basically the Backwards Red Dwarf episode with Inception style fighting and Dark Knight Rises truck ambushes.

And it's not just that it was poor, it was really uncomfortable because you're constantly trying to establish the ground rules. You're trying to work out the base in that world to establish your suspension of disbelief and you never can. Random, completely arbitrary items and scenes are running backwards. Perhaps there's a huge design behind all of it which makes everything make sense but when watching you have no idea why.

The final act was an utter mess of the standard disjointed action sequences but with some people going forwards in time and some people going backwards through time doing some other random stuff while you sit there shrugging asking what the hell is meant to be happening.

Going back to the science. Time travel is always going to be risky but this plain doesn't make sense. And it's obvious that it doesn't right at the very beginning. If you've ever watched the Red Dwarf Backwards episode and laughed off the impossibilities of all of it, then Nolan has just made a film about it and it's just as ridiculous.

Perhaps I'll watch a few YouTube explainers and some of it will make sense. Some of it already does but lots of it *can't* because it's plain nonsensical.

WTF

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, darrenm said:

So, Tenet

Reveal hidden contents

For Nolan films, I'm always a bit conflicted. He's done some huge films and they're usually a good watch. Dunkirk was great, Inception OK, Interstellar pretty good, Batmans good and bad, The Prestige amazing. Some of them really suffer from the same problems which are:

The action sequences never flow properly. The Dark Knight trilogy is worst for this. Stuff happens that doesn't make sense. People do things they wouldn't do. The physics don't work.

And then the sound. I don't know if this is limited to me but I have a really hard time hearing the dialogue in Nolan films. Whether it's in the cinema, home, IMAX, anything. The dialogue is just a boomy midrange buzz and I struggle to pick many words out.

Tenet suffers massively from both of the above. And the science just doesn't work. I took the family for £50 at IMAX and I feel I've wasted every penny. I genuinely wanted to get up and leave halfway through because it just didn't make the slightest bit of sense. It's basically the Backwards Red Dwarf episode with Inception style fighting and Dark Knight Rises truck ambushes.

And it's not just that it was poor, it was really uncomfortable because you're constantly trying to establish the ground rules. You're trying to work out the base in that world to establish your suspension of disbelief and you never can. Random, completely arbitrary items and scenes are running backwards. Perhaps there's a huge design behind all of it which makes everything make sense but when watching you have no idea why.

The final act was an utter mess of the standard disjointed action sequences but with some people going forwards in time and some people going backwards through time doing some other random stuff while you sit there shrugging asking what the hell is meant to be happening.

Going back to the science. Time travel is always going to be risky but this plain doesn't make sense. And it's obvious that it doesn't right at the very beginning. If you've ever watched the Red Dwarf Backwards episode and laughed off the impossibilities of all of it, then Nolan has just made a film about it and it's just as ridiculous.

Perhaps I'll watch a few YouTube explainers and some of it will make sense. Some of it already does but lots of it *can't* because it's plain nonsensical.

WTF

Thanks. funny you should mention sound, I've got to the stage where I'm watching everything with subtitles these days. The modern style of filming to be more realistic or real life, whatever, my ears just cant pick up stuff like mumbling or whispering etc Filming from behind a person in the next room speaking quietly doesn't  work.

Edited by Phil Silvers
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

Thanks. funny you should mention sound, I've got to the stage where I'm watching everything with subtitles these days. The modern style of filming to be more realistic or real life, whatever, my ears just cant pick up stuff like mumbling or whispering etc Filming from behind a person in the next room speaking quietly doesn't  work.

Looks like others have noticed. Other Nolan films also seem particularly bad for this but this is another level.

Screenshot_20200827-082348.png

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I usually avoid his films to be honest, and I think he's pretty overrated. I haven't seen a film of his I really enjoyed since The Prestige.

Enjoyed Inception, Insomnia and the Batman films. Everything else meh.

Â