The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Just now, PieFacE said:

Saw a trailer for this the other day and thought it looked really good. I think Shia LaBeouf wrote it too?

Yeah, he did. Its semi-autobiographical and absolutely brilliant. 

• Like 3

On 13/08/2020 at 12:39, Phil Silvers said:

Brilliant flim, John McTiernan was the king of the era for me.

Loved the Bill Duke scene, looking up at the moon saying I'm gonna cut your name into him, brilliant https://youtu.be/yBwP4yb9jAw

Bill Duke turned up in a few of these films during the period, I remember him in commando as a green beret, the line at the time was, “I eat green berret’s  for breakfast “ from John Mattix. That film had the most camp villain ever if you recall, Bennnett

Another one of my favourites that I will have to dig out again soon is Lock Up. Donald Sutherland is breathtaking as the bad warden Drumgroole, People laugh at me but I think this prison drama was far superior to Shawshank

Edited by Follyfoot

20 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Bill Duke turned up in a few of these films during the period, I remember him in commando as a green beret, the line at the time was, “I eat green berret’s  for breakfast “ from John Mattix. That film had the most camp villain ever if you recall, Bennnett

Another one of my favourites that I will have to dig out again soon is Lock Up. Donald Sutherland is breathtaking as the bad warden Drumgroole, People laugh at me but I think this prison drama was far superior to Shawshank

Forgot Lock Up even existed, will give it a rewatch but I disagree about it being superior to shawshank for me, we all have different opinions and tastes.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Donald Sutherland is breathtaking as the bad warden Drumgroole, People laugh at me but I think this prison drama was far superior to Shawshank

Madness.

We all know Sutherland's greatest role was the clumsy waiter.

Televandalist — Donald Sutherland as the clumsy waiter

• Like 1

Anyone else watched Sputnik yet? I can't say that I enjoyed it that much, I thought it was well shot, looked good, but the story line was a bit too Alien/The Thing/Life. There was also a subplot that was shoe-horned in. I love sci-fi and I'm don't mind subtitled films.

4 minutes ago, bielesibub said:

Anyone else watched Sputnik yet? I can't say that I enjoyed it that much, I thought it was well shot, looked good, but the story line was a bit too Alien/The Thing/Life. There was also a subplot that was shoe-horned in. I love sci-fi and I'm don't mind subtitled films.

It's on my list as soon as the weather gets a bit colder so I can justify to myself being inside.

Think your description fits on most of the Russian films I've watched over the last weeks. They are almost good and look great but the writing in poor (or just strange me as not Russian) 

Of the ones I've watched The Blackout was the best one, a solid 6.5-7/10

The first Attraction one was quite good up until the halfway point but then dragged on and turned pretty poor. And the sequel Invasion was quite poor and too long but they both looked great.

The first one I watched was Coma which was a mix between The Matrix and Inception, kinda and that one also looked good but was pretty mediocre and too long.

2 hours ago, darrenm said:

I watched Peanut Butter Falcon and then The Nightingale last night.

Both excellent. 

The Nightingale was a very good and very tough watch. Sam Claflin was the absolute epitome of evil in that film without resulting to pantomime villainy.

Also great to see J.Kent following up the superb Babadook with something very different, but equally as dark. She's a great talent.

47 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I have no idea what 'Penaut Butter Falcon' is, but I shall not be watching it on the basis that its title turns my stomach.

Not sure if serious, but if so you would be missing out on a really solid movie.

spacer.png

Superb stuff.

Ignore the fact that it's (very) lazily classed as a horror movie. It's much, much more than that and is actually a very effective, character driven exploration of the impact of violence on everyday lives.

Recommended :thumb:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 16/08/2020 at 14:10, theboyangel said:

Quite enjoyed Upgrade on Netflix, a decent sci-fi concept done on a cheaper budget but still very watchable.  

Yep, it’s decent and the fight scenes are ace. 

• Like 2

On 13/08/2020 at 12:39, Phil Silvers said:

Brilliant flim, John McTiernan was the king of the era for me.

Loved the Bill Duke scene, looking up at the moon saying I'm gonna cut your name into him, brilliant https://youtu.be/yBwP4yb9jAw

Predator, Aliens, Terminator, Total Recall, Commando, etc 

Great era for movies. 

• Like 2

Â