The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

How many films are they planning to make out of it? Two? Paul in part one and Muad'dib in part two? Or a film for each of the original 3 books?

Makes me want to watch the Jodorowsky's Dune docu more than anything.

It also makes me really sad to see how good that looks, and the utter travesty that was The Dark Tower.

2 hours ago, hogso said:

How many films are they planning to make out of it? Two? Paul in part one and Muad'dib in part two? Or a film for each of the original 3 books?

Makes me want to watch the Jodorowsky's Dune docu more than anything.

It also makes me really sad to see how good that looks, and the utter travesty that was The Dark Tower.

Scheduled to be 2 movies but who knows. The Hobbit became 3 movies...

I think The Departed might be the most tedious well reviewed film I've ever suffered through.

Decent cast, and an interesting plot, it was a fantastic 90 minute blockbuster extended to two and a half hours of boredom. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

Jason & the Argonauts, 1963. 

I won’t spoiler my thoughts, because it’s Jason & the Argonauts from 1963.

Looking at it now, anyone else think it’s odd that the film doesn’t end with Jason confronting the bloke who killed his parents and tricking him into risking his life by sailing across the world for a grubby sheepskin? It’s like they forgot about that opening bit and just thought “well he’s got the fleece and a new girlfriend...that’s close enough.”

Saw Greyhound last night 

Empire  kinda low scored it as it didn’t offer any background on the characters but I really liked it ... they avoided the cliche of boom boom boom underwater sequences as the subs were hunted and it was just a fast paced film as Hanks character goes about his job.

The film deserves a wider audience than it will presumably get on Apple TV 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Saw Greyhound last night 

Empire  kinda low scored it as it didn’t offer any background on the characters but I really liked it ... they avoided the cliche of boom boom boom underwater sequences as the subs were hunted and it was just a fast paced film as Hanks character goes about his job.

The film deserves a wider audience than it will presumably get on Apple TV 

Might watch it then, as I saw it was a Sub film and immediately thought about the ping of sonar, going quiet, the muffled boom of depth charges and the Fshhhhh (no gravy) of the torpedos and thought nah

9 hours ago, bickster said:

Might watch it then, as I saw it was a Sub film and immediately thought about the ping of sonar, going quiet, the muffled boom of depth charges and the Fshhhhh (no gravy) of the torpedos and thought nah

Pretty similar, all I could envisage  was achtung achtung DIVE DIVE DIVE

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Jason & the Argonauts, 1963. 

I won’t spoiler my thoughts, because it’s Jason & the Argonauts from 1963.

Looking at it now, anyone else think it’s odd that the film doesn’t end with Jason confronting the bloke who killed his parents and tricking him into risking his life by sailing across the world for a grubby sheepskin? It’s like they forgot about that opening bit and just thought “well he’s got the fleece and a new girlfriend...that’s close enough.”

In similar vein, has anyone one else ever wondered, if Cinderella’s slipper was such a perfect fit, why did it fall off in the first place?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, bickster said:

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

Pretty similar, all I could envisage  was achtung achtung DIVE DIVE DIVE

Nope none of that , the only German you hear in it is actually quite well woven into the film  , it’s more about Hanks character on his first crossing and how he deals with events , 90 min long film but it seemed to zip by , which for a Hanks film is nothing short of a miracle :) 

• Like 2

I enjoyed Greyhound but do understand the criticism of the lack of background to the main characters.

i get the feeling it was edited down to 90 mins to stream quickly on Disney+ 

hopefully there’ll be a directors cut with a little more to it.

enjoyable film though. 

• Like 1

Antebellum turned out to be just as disappointing as the reviews said it would be. The elevator pitch was probably much better than the execution turned out in the end.

It's not terrible but a worthy successor to Get Out it was not. 5.5/10 maybe. Sad that because it could have been pretty good.

Antebellum Poster

On 11/09/2020 at 22:48, Davkaus said:

I think The Departed might be the most tedious well reviewed film I've ever suffered through.

Decent cast, and an interesting plot, it was a fantastic 90 minute blockbuster extended to two and a half hours of boredom. 

Completely agree. Absolutely boring as anything. Have you watched Infernal Affairs? It’s the original Chinese version which is infinitely better. They made a couple of sequels as well though I don’t recall seeing them.

Edited by cyrusr
Haven’t seen them! Only just realised the typo.
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, theboyangel said:

I enjoyed Greyhound but do understand the criticism of the lack of background to the main characters.

i get the feeling it was edited down to 90 mins to stream quickly on Disney+ 

hopefully there’ll be a directors cut with a little more to it.

enjoyable film though. 

I quite enjoyed it too, but I didn’t care about any of the characters and there was too much technical, naval dialogue being shouted back and forth at times. 
It’s well made though and rattled by at a right pace. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

Watched 12 Years A Slave for the first time last night. 

Quality film. Some great performances. 

Some excellent work, some incredible acting, Paul Dano is right up there for me, superb talent, completely held his own in There Will Be Blood up against arguably the greatest movie actor of all time playing his greatest creation Daniel Plainview.

• Like 1

Â