The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

40 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Some excellent work, some incredible acting, Paul Dano is right up there for me, superb talent, completely held his own in There Will Be Blood up against arguably the greatest movie actor of all time playing his greatest creation Daniel Plainview.

Yeah he was ace. I’ve not seen There Will Be Blood, but he was quality in Escape At Dannemora and he’s playing Riddler in the new Batman movie - I’m proper looking forward to that. 

11 hours ago, cyrusr said:

Completely agree. Absolutely boring as anything. Have you watched Infernal Affairs? It’s the original Chinese version which is infinitely better. They made a couple of sequels as well though I don’t recall seeing them.

2nd ones good 3rd one not so much, I like the departed but IA will always be the better film for me even if I really like walhbergs character, the 2 main actors in the original are better imo 

as for the original boring well reviewed films it’s apocalypse now for me, first time I watched that it was redux, thought it was mind blowingly dull

im sure a few on here would say deer hunter 

• Thanks 1

Just finished the marvel 're watch ( up to Endgame) introducing the partner along the way. She's enjoyed them so much that having only seen Infinity War yesterday she insisted we double it tonight with Captain Marvel and Endgame. That's a heavy film weekend. 

Have found I've enjoyed them all this time around, no disappointments at all, although couple of messy films early on but they all held up as at least entertaining even where flawed.

Looking forward to the new ones now first time around, I thought I'd bow out after Endgame, but appetite has been re whetted and ready to go!

• Like 4

13 hours ago, sne said:

Looks like Tom Hardy is leading the race to be the next James Bond after a great audition. They could do worse.

Talking of Hardy I watched "Lawless" for the first time at the weekend. Really enjoyed it. Guy Pearce made an excellent villain.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, rjw63 said:

Talking of Hardy I watched "Lawless" for the first time at the weekend. Really enjoyed it. Guy Pearce made an excellent villain.

Yeah I like that one too. And speaking of Hardy, wonder if there ever is coming a second season of Taboo.

20 minutes ago, sne said:

Yeah I like that one too. And speaking of Hardy, wonder if there ever is coming a second season of Taboo.

I read there is but no idea what the hold up is

On 20/09/2020 at 23:04, villa4europe said:

2nd ones good 3rd one not so much, I like the departed but IA will always be the better film for me even if I really like walhbergs character, the 2 main actors in the original are better imo 

as for the original boring well reviewed films it’s apocalypse now for me, first time I watched that it was redux, thought it was mind blowingly dull

im sure a few on here would say deer hunter 

Deer Hunter does drag a bit. I didn't mind Apocalypse Now at all

The Departed is great though... IA is, of course, great, but the Departed nails it as well 

• Like 1

On 20/09/2020 at 23:12, Chindie said:

Mortal Engines.

This film is apparently the biggest flop of all time.

I can see why.

Heaven's Gate had that accolade for ages. The stories of how Cimino acted on set are legendary 

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

Deer Hunter does drag a bit. I didn't mind Apocalypse Now at all

The Departed is great though... IA is, of course, great, but the Departed nails it as well 

The thing I didn't take the departed for a lazy unoriginal cash in rehash (like old boy for example) I'm not overly cynical with it

Its a good film with a great cast and rewritten in a way that really works

I just think that the original is slightly better, for me personally gangs of new York is better and then also Di caprio is better in blood diamond, I also thought that letters from iwo jima was a better film for the Oscars and that's my "problem" with it

On 20/09/2020 at 23:28, Rodders said:

Just finished the marvel 're watch ( up to Endgame) introducing the partner along the way. She's enjoyed them so much that having only seen Infinity War yesterday she insisted we double it tonight with Captain Marvel and Endgame. That's a heavy film weekend. 

Have found I've enjoyed them all this time around, no disappointments at all, although couple of messy films early on but they all held up as at least entertaining even where flawed.

Looking forward to the new ones now first time around, I thought I'd bow out after Endgame, but appetite has been re whetted and ready to go!

Unfortunately going to have to wait a few more months for the next one

On 20/09/2020 at 16:06, sne said:

Looks like Tom Hardy is leading the race to be the next James Bond after a great audition. They could do worse.

Actually,  I don't think they could

How are the bad guys and the obligatory notch on the bed post supposed to know who he is when he mumbles the immortal "The na mumble , Bo mumble , Jam mumble Bon mumble "

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

Actually,  I don't think they could

How are the bad guys and the obligatory notch on the bed post supposed to know who he is when he mumbles the immortal "The na mumble , Bo mumble , Jam mumble Bon mumble "

Maybe they should be thinking big box office and a return to the Roger Moore fun bond type and cast Johnny Depp as Bond and Amber Heard as the villain

• Haha 1

Well Bill and Ted 3 was lovely. I mean you probably have to have affection for the first two to enjoy it, lots of in jokes and nods to the other films, but I went with it. Acting was a bit iffy at times I concede at times, but if you go in happily pre disposed to enjoying the film, you'll enjoy it. Very low budget clearly though!

Edited by Rodders
  • Like 2

Dark Phoenix.

Expected to be appalling.

It isn't. It isn't good either but it's not as bad as made out. It's biggest issues are the fact it's paced bizarrely and frankly Sophie Turner isn't a good enough actress to carry the character. And I'd stake decent money the final action scene was completely reshot  as it's bizarrely low key (but still surprisingly good). Otherwise it's reasonably well done for a take on the Phoenix Saga that does the story on 2hrs all told. It's better than Apocalypse, to damn with faint praise.

• Like 3

Â