The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

18 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

When I'm bored and late night channel hopping , only film of his that gets the might as well watch this viewing is Inglorious bastards  ... the rest just get a skip to the next channel ...tbf I did enjoy reservoir Dogs when I watched it on release , just not sure its worth repeat viewing

I did record Once upon a time to see if it was as meh as I remember it being in the cinema , but haven't got around to watching it yet  , which is probably telling in itself

I think Once Upon A Time needs a deep watch. The slow pacing and the beautiful visuals mean you just have to allow it to meander and enjoy looking at it.

When I saw it in the cinema I had no idea about the Tate and Manson story so didn't know it was tracking that. I just assumed it was pulling a few names into a completely fictional story.

• Like 1

It seems like Tarantino just wanted to film something in 60s LA without any real thought into what.  Probably shoehorned the Manson stuff in later.

When I have a successful film portfolio behind me you can all watch my love letter to 70s Birmingham.  Watch his space.

4 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Kudos to @wazzap24 for just launching a #hottake like that with no justification - I love it! - but sadly it's not right. His best film is Jackie Brown, and the fact that he doesn't appear on screen any time during it is probably not completely irrelevant to that. Once Upon A Time In Hollywood is comfortably top half though.

Watching clips is probably how most people watch Pulp Fiction, and probably the best way, because it allows you to enjoy the note-perfect-wouldn't-change-a-second Travolta/Jackson (& Thurman) (& Roth) scenes, without having to watch the aged-horribly scenes of Ving Rhames being raped or Tarantino 'edgily' using the n-word over and over again.

I watched the scene where Travolta/Jackson end up at Tarantino's house in the valley and the amount of times he used the N-word was uncomfortable. Its just not needed. Keitel is great in that scene.

I like the fact that the same scene at the beginning / end of the film (the diner robbery) has different dialogue. Whether this is a mistake or deliberate has been the cause of much internet debate. I'd suggest the latter with Tarantino 

I do like Jackie Brown though. His 2nd best movie IMO. Reservoir Dogs at 3. 

• Like 1

Disney's Mulan live action film is going to be released on Disney+ in September, supposedly alongside a cinema release (yeah right). It's going to be an additional cost rental on the service

It's fairly likely to be a bit crap.

On 03/08/2020 at 18:43, Stevo985 said:

And I'm not shitting on OUATIH. It was a great film (although I think a knowledge of the manson family is an absolute pre-requisite.)

yep, the penny dropped for me with about 20 minutes left and that was only because id watched mindhunter 

until then it'd been solid if slightly boring

8 hours ago, Chindie said:

Disney's Mulan live action film is going to be released on Disney+ in September, supposedly alongside a cinema release (yeah right). It's going to be an additional cost rental on the service

It's fairly likely to be a bit crap.

$30 on top of the monthly service

I think it looks ok, especially if they go full wuxia film style but the cost is laughable, seen a few suggesting its cheaper than taking a family to the cinema which it might be but its also double the price of a DVD and 3 times + the price of most digital films

32 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

yep, the penny dropped for me with about 20 minutes left and that was only because id watched mindhunter 

until then it'd been solid if slightly boring

I enjoyed it far more the second time round knowing that story.

First time round none of it made any sense. And the ending was like "Well why the **** was she even in this?"

Without that knowledge I honestly think it's not even a good film. With the knowledge of that story it's brilliant.

I'm not sure if that makes it better or worse. I'm not sure you should have to research an event in history to enjoy a movie.

31 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

$30 on top of the monthly service

I think it looks ok, especially if they go full wuxia film style but the cost is laughable, seen a few suggesting its cheaper than taking a family to the cinema which it might be but its also double the price of a DVD and 3 times + the price of most digital films

On a side note, but similar,  I don't want to keep going on about Apple TV, but the movie costs on that are ridiculous. Sounds similar to that Mulan stuff

I assumed stuff came included in the subscription. Nope.

There's a Ben Affleck film on there they're advertising.

£17.99

To RENT

And it's not just for new releases. All the films they have on there are to purchase or rent. £9.99 to rent The Fifth Element. It's a brilliant film but it's 25 years old ffs

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Rolta said:

when you know about the Manson murders, that slow burn has this tense, ironic layer because you just know what's coming.

However, even without knowing about the murders, you have this horrible feeling about what's coming in the final act because of what 'state' the female actor is in.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Rolta said:

I think it makes so much difference knowing about the murders before seeing the film. It's kind of the whole point. I was tense throughout knowing what was going to happen, but mainly wondering why he would make a film about something so horrible. When the ending happened the shock and surprise I felt at his treatment of it was the level of mind-blown wonder I haven't had watching a film since I was a kid. It was incredible—and made it for me easily his best film. I think there's a very profound impression given by the film about the nature of cinema, especially his kind of escapist, cinematic artifice. I don't want to sound too pretentious, but it's in there, but ultimately the ending also gives this bittersweet, tragic feeling because, for however satisfying it is—it's just not true. That's some powerful emotion. 

I genuinely loved it. It's one of the best, most unique films I've seen in years—especially a film on that scale. Sure it's a bit slow at times, but, as I say, when you know about the Manson murders, that slow burn has this tense, ironic layer because you just know what's coming. Or you thought you knew what was coming, but it definitely didn't play out that way.

And the performances were phenomenal. I'm not even a massive Tarantino fan but that film is great.

Great post, deserves all of the likes. 

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Rolta said:

I genuinely loved it. It's one of the best, most unique films I've seen in years—especially a film on that scale. Sure it's a bit slow at times, but, as I say, when you know about the Manson murders, that slow burn has this tense, ironic layer because you just know what's coming. Or you thought you knew what was coming, but it definitely didn't play out that way.

This is the key. There's no tension or build up if you're unaware of those murders because you don't even realise what you're watching.

The whole point of the film is it not playing out that way so if you're unaware of it it's lost on you.

It was lost on me but second time round I "got it". My OH who only watched it first time round thinks it's a dreadful, boring film where nothing happens. Which is fair enough without that knowledge!

Gone down the Russian sci-fi movie rabbit hole after re-watching Night Watch and then Day Watch for the first time in at least 10 years. Both were a bit worse than I remembered them but about low 6/10.

Anyway that got me started on some newer Russian movies, they make quite a lot of sci-fi stuff apparently and so far they all have a lot in common as in they all look pretty good, CGI not bad a t all, but the writing is a bit poor and they are a bit too long. I'm watching them all dubbed so might be harsh to slate the acting.

Started with Coma which was kinda a mix between Inception and The Matrix, sorta. OK 5.5/10.

Currently going through The Blackout, followed by Attraction 1 & 2 (Invasion) After that I'll have to wait until Sputnik becomes available to watch. Those last 3 are made by Fedor Bondarchuk who made the quite good The 9th Company about the Afghanistan War.

Edited by sne

14 hours ago, sne said:

Gone down the Russian sci-fi movie rabbit hole after re-watching Night Watch and then Day Watch for the first time in at least 10 years. Both were a bit worse than I remembered them but about low 6/10.

Anyway that got me started on some newer Russian movies, they make quite a lot of sci-fi stuff apparently and so far they all have a lot in common as in they all look pretty good, CGI not bad a t all, but the writing is a bit poor and they are a bit too long. I'm watching them all dubbed so might be harsh to slate the acting.

Started with Coma which was kinda a mix between Inception and The Matrix, sorta. OK 5.5/10.

Currently going through The Blackout, followed by Attraction 1 & 2 (Invasion) After that I'll have to wait until Sputnik becomes available to watch. Those last 3 are made by Fedor Bondarchuk who made the quite good The 9th Company about the Afghanistan War.

• Thanks 1

Just now, sheepyvillian said:

Let's not forget the great and late Dennis Hopper, who was equally as good in that scene. 

Thanks for the shout out. Tarantino's dialogues are always contentious, dramatic, and provocative. Both actors delivered the goods in portraying the script.

Â