The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

11 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Just watched Us, the Jordan Peale follow up to Get Out

whilst I enjoyed it, it wasn’t a patch on Get Out and thought the concept was better than the execution 

Props for the best/only(?) ever use of C.H.U.D. as a foreshadowing device.

• Like 1

On 19/07/2020 at 21:36, theboyangel said:

(Mainly) British/Italian comedy Love, Wedding, Repeat on Netflix - not the horror show I was expecting. 

Some genuinely funny bits and thankfully nothing like The Festival! 

The Festival is right up there as one of the worst films I have had the displeasure to endure.

• Like 1

So are there actually any new films coming out soon?

and when they do start coming out, is it going to be a massive avalanche of films all at once to catch-up?  or have all films forever just been delayed by 6 months, so the same volume will come out?

29 minutes ago, ender4 said:

So are there actually any new films coming out soon?

and when they do start coming out, is it going to be a massive avalanche of films all at once to catch-up?  or have all films forever just been delayed by 6 months, so the same volume will come out?

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a29669/uk-film-release-dates/

2020 was shaping up to be a huge year at the cinema, even after the end of the Infinity and Skywalker Sagas in 2019.

However, everything changed when cinemas had to close due to the current global situation, leading to numerous delays.

But cinemas in England have started to reopen as of July 4 and in the coming weeks, more cinemas will open across the UK. Despite the delays, there are still plenty of blockbuster-sized treats in store for movie fans in 2020.

Looks a bit of a ‘meh’ list to me. 

• Thanks 1

Finally got round to watching JoJo Rabbit on the weekend.

To be honest after 20-30 minutes I wasn't really that convinced. I was enjoying it but it seemed average and the funny bits were a bit hit and miss.

But it ramped up and up and by the end I absolutely loved it. Hilarious, sad, tense. Brilliant stuff.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, mykeyb said:

The Festival is right up there as one of the worst films I have had the displeasure to endure.

I didn’t think it was that bad personally, wouldn’t rush to watch it again but it passed 90 minutes.

11 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

The old Bond films are all a bit nuts aren't they?  I don't think I've seen You Only Live Twice since I was a kid but it's a bit of a trip innit, especially when he turns Japanese.

Funnily enough me and the Mrs watched  Godfinger Over the weekend. Not watched it for years but felt very uncomfortable with the scene with pussy galore. He most definitely forces him self on her

Edited by Follyfoot

12 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

The old Bond films are all a bit nuts aren't they?  I don't think I've seen You Only Live Twice since I was a kid but it's a bit of a trip innit, especially when he turns Japanese.

best one IMO that's proper bond

and its the one where I think the main theme tune is best stripped down and integrated in to the over film soundtrack which is an understated part of the early bond theme tunes

• Like 1

Stumbled upon this yesterday (about Before Sunrise, mainly):

Time After Time: Looking Back at “Before Sunrise”

When Peter Bogdanovich interviewed Jimmy Stewart, Stewart told a story about a random guy who once told him, “You did this thing in a movie where you read a poem once … That was good.” Stewart realized that the guy was talking about a movie that came out in 1941, over 20 years before. Stewart said to Bogdanovich:

“And that’s the thing—that’s the great thing about the movies … After you learn—and if you’re good and Gawd helps ya and you’re lucky enough to have a personality to comes across—then what you’re doing is you’re giving people little… little, tiny pieces of time that they never forget.”

Among the many topics that interest director Richard Linklater, time is his main obsession. You can see it in the trilogy of Before Sunrise, Before Sunset and Before Midnight, filmed over a 20-year period, and you can see it most explicitly in his latest, Boyhood, filmed over the course of 12 years. The passage of time is one thing that every human being has in common, and with it comes mortality, change, loss. Other filmmakers have been obsessed with time, and have struggled to put it onscreen, to capture the un-capturable.

In Shakespeare’s Midsummer Night’s Dream, Quince boils down his theatre troupe’s main challenge in creating the play-within-the-play: bringing “the moonlight into a chamber.” Bringing moonlight into a chamber is the essential “hard thing” of theatre, movies, art, anything involving make-believe, and Linklater cares deeply about figuring out truthful ways to create a space where “moonlight”—love, listening, the ebb and flow of conversation, the passage of time—can be captured.

E.M. Forster declared in Howards End,

“Only connect! That was the whole of her sermon. Only connect the prose and the passion, and both will be exalted, and human love will be seen at its height. Live in fragments no longer. Only connect, and the beast and the monk, robbed of the isolation that is life to either, will die.”

Celine and Jessie, young adults reaching towards their own lives, asserting their own hard-won personalities and opinions, while still remaining open to the possibilities in the moment, discover the truth of Forster’s words. The film stands on its own, in this way. If Before Sunset and Before Midnight hadn’t been made, Before Sunrise would still hold a special place in people’s hearts because it tells a story of two random people who were able to “only connect.”

...more

• Like 1

Watched "Greyhound" the other night.

Like some of Apple TV's other offerings, I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. 

It's a relatively short film but there's almost no build up or backstory, you're pretty much straight into a sea battle which lasts most of the film.

It works. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Watched "Greyhound" the other night.

Like some of Apple TV's other offerings, I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. 

It's a relatively short film but there's almost no build up or backstory, you're pretty much straight into a sea battle which lasts most of the film.

It works. 

Too much technical Navy dialogue for me. 90 mins of shouting random stuff at each other. 

lots of good about it but apart from a tiny bit of intro into Hanks’ character, it was hard to give a toss about any of them. 

The action was good though and it was pretty tense at times. 

11 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

Too much technical Navy dialogue for me. 90 mins of shouting random stuff at each other. 

lots of good about it but apart from a tiny bit of intro into Hanks’ character, it was hard to give a toss about any of them. 

The action was good though and it was pretty tense at times. 

Yeah I had to put the subtitles on because I didn't understand half of what was being said but I thought it was easy enough to follow. The guys plotting the ships movement on the charts served to explain to the viewer what was happening I thought.

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

No

Best ending 

Best scene/s (Bruce Lee + The end bit with Boon and his Dog)

Best character (Cliff Boon) 

Best sound track

It’s his best film and nobody that puts Robinson’s jam on a cheese sandwich is going to tell me otherwise :P

Â