The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

two films this weekend, Da 5 Bloods  and Eurovision  - somewhat different in tone. The first is 'better' in terms of content and commentary, and has many Spike Lee tropes that are effective - integrating real life footage with the film etc,  but it is more of a mess than Eurovision which was entertainingly daft but at least it was coherent. Da 5 Bloods was just too many films crammed into one. The tonal shift's weren't fluid and effective in the way Black Klansman was ( a superb film ) but the performances were strong throughout. Even when it was Apocalypse Now-lite, it was still well performed, but just never comes together properly as a film. 

The new Netflix, Charlize Theron flick The Old Guard was watchable I guess. Acting is solid-ish apart from the main villain.

Pretty standard action movie with immortality thrown in, based on a comic and it's all rather silly. Mainly the villain (Harry Potter's cousin) is so over the top cartoonish that it becomes almost Austin Powers like.

Music choices is also terrible and don't work. Still it probably checks a lot of boxes for the Netflix algorithms so get ready for a sequel or 2...

Spoiler

...They set up for one right at the end 

5.5/10 Works on a rainy day. I'd compare in quality to one of the weaker Underworld movies maybe. Or a straight to VHS for us old guys.

The Old Guard Poster

Edited by sne
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

Watched “can you ever forgive me”  tonight .... what a great film , never thought I’d be sitting here saying I enjoyed a film with Melissa McCarthy in it but she is great as is Richard E Grant who plays Richard E Grant .
You get a few films that you’d happy watch over and over again and this one makes the list , wish I’d have watched it sooner 

Completely agree, it was an excellent film.

Destroyer (2018) and Uncut Gems (2019), both thoroughly enjoyable tails revolving around an interesting central character. 

John Wick #3: Not as good as the previous two and a bit of an editorial mess (Halle Berry, wtf!). I wonder if they can make it to as many sequels as Fast&Furious...

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Re-watched Fifth Element, still an entertaining enjoyable mess. Not enough screentime for Gary Oldman from being a cheesy classic

I’d have happily seen more of Milla

CD7EB65F-D87F-4FBE-9227-1D2B01C088A3.gif

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

Re-watched Fifth Element, still an entertaining enjoyable mess. Not enough screentime for Gary Oldman from being a cheesy classic

One of those films I use quotes from randomly, often without context.
Wow, *zwoum*
Must be an old picture
He's a she
Anyway, we're in love
Ay cherry
I'm very......disappointed
Aziz LIGHT

And of course:
image.png.1c6b03e304c51a93e8473fac9e8eff80.png

• Haha 1

Half way through Indiana Jones quadrilogy after seeing 1st 2 (so far) re reviewed by Chris Stuckmann on YouTube.

Raiders of the Lost Ark is an outstanding movie experience but I've been surprised how much I liked Temple of Doom this time around, its an absolute hoot from start to finish. 

From memory I always liked them in the following order.......

Raiders

Last Crusade

Temple of Doom

Crystal skull

It will probably always be that way but Temple of Doom is a lot closer to the best now for me.

Edited by Phil Silvers
  • Like 1

Â