The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

1 hour ago, Troglodyte said:

I was disappointed with Orient Express when I saw it at the cinema. Not terrible, but just meh.

I'm wondering whether it'd be worth watching The Damned United with my wife - we've just watched 'Quiz' on ITV and she was saying about how good Michael Sheen was. She's not into football at all but it's a good film anyway (from what I remember after seeing it a few years ago). Probably won't bother though!

He's amazing in everything, one of the greatest actors ever from Wales, in fact I can think of only 2 that might be better.

46 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

He's amazing in everything, one of the greatest actors ever from Wales, in fact I can think of only 2 that might be better.

Hopkins, maybe. Burton ? He was better in theatre, imo. I like the guy who portrayed Dylan Thomas in that film with Sienna Miller. His name escapes me.

I do rate Sheen. A very decent man.

3 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

As much as i like Olivia Wilde, Just watch superbad again instead. Booksmart is one of the most overrated movies of the past few years.

I agree. I watched it after the glowing reviews on here. Thought it was fine with a few laughs but nothing special. 6/10.

• Like 1

I watched "Border" on film 4 earlier - it's extraordinary - brilliantly written, brilliantly acted, brilliantly filmed, brilliantly scored, true to its cultural heritage, great as a straight story, great as allegory and an absolutely insane, jaw dropping story from start to finish. I loved it.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

As much as i like Olivia Wilde, Just watch superbad again instead. Booksmart is one of the most overrated movies of the past few years.

Yep. 

Was expecting something great from what I'd read but it was terrible. Didn't finish it. 

10 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I watched "Border" on film 4 earlier - it's extraordinary - brilliantly written, brilliantly acted, brilliantly filmed, brilliantly scored, true to its cultural heritage, great as a straight story, great as allegory and an absolutely insane, jaw dropping story from start to finish. I loved it.

I tried it, got bored, and gave up after about 35 minutes. Maybe I should try again.

12 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

A hard watch at times but agree it's very well done for what it is. Very subtle acting at times, very few actors can do almost nothing but say everything at the same time and you get it, you get what they are thinking but the director has to let that happen, good work.

Check out Jordskott if not already seen, its different but again dips into into Scandi folklore and those giant forests.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Hopkins, maybe. Burton ? He was better in theatre, imo. I like the guy who portrayed Dylan Thomas in that film with Sienna Miller. His name escapes me.

I do rate Sheen. A very decent man.

Those two are definitely at the highest level. 

21 hours ago, Troglodyte said:

I was disappointed with Orient Express when I saw it at the cinema. Not terrible, but just meh.

I'm wondering whether it'd be worth watching The Damned United with my wife - we've just watched 'Quiz' on ITV and she was saying about how good Michael Sheen was. She's not into football at all but it's a good film anyway (from what I remember after seeing it a few years ago). Probably won't bother though!

20 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

@Troglodyte tape it and watch it with her, if she does not like it watch it on your own. If nothing else it's a good football history lesson, although in reality it's a lot more than that. As a football fan you will not be disappointed.

@Phil Silvers Indeed, a most underrated actor who really gets into character like no one else.

• Like 1

On 17/04/2020 at 15:19, theboyangel said:

Eye on the Sky is on tv this week too - great film which builds in tension brilliantly 

Having googled it i quite fancy watching this. When and where is it on? 

I've trawled the tv pages and not come across it.......help !!!!!!!!!! 

Edit: I do wish people who post films they have watched, rate etc would state where it is on, Netflix, Sky, Amazon etc.....it really would be a big help

PS; this is a general moan/winge/request....not poster specific....

Edited by imavillan

26 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Eye In The Sky - Tuesday 21st April 2020 at 2100hrs on Film 4 (channel 313 Sky or 428 Virgin) 

would you like me plump up your cushions before you settle down to watch it? 😉😁

(no offence taken!) 

nah....just drop some popcorn at the front door....ring the bell and step back 2 metres when i pick it up though 😉

ta....

• Haha 3

SpiderMan, Far from Home.

Pretty shite, crap storyline, seemed mainly to be a homage to Iron Man more than anything else.

Nick Fury’s character appeared to have become a bit of a joke.

I actually really like this incarnation of SpiderMan but that was a shite effort IMO.

• Like 2

The Conversation

A 1974 Gene Hackman film. You’ve probably got the gist of it just from that. It’s a 70’s Gene Hackman movie without the guns and car chases, just all the quiet scenes.

I actually really enjoyed it. The world of the quiet secretive wire tapper investigator and how he descends in to paranoia.

Stumbled across it by accident, had never heard of it, very good. It’s on i-player if you click the clicky.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

SpiderMan, Far from Home.

Pretty shite, crap storyline, seemed mainly to be a homage to Iron Man more than anything else.

Nick Fury’s character appeared to have become a bit of a joke.

I actually really like this incarnation of SpiderMan but that was a shite effort IMO.

I thought the opposite to be fair, it was a great teen movie made by Marvel and Holland confirming he’s the best Peter Parker on the big screen. 

However, Spiderman - into the Spiderverse is the best Spiderman film to date. 

• Like 1

Enjoyed The Platform (Spanish film on Netflix) as it was pretty thought provoking and (ever so slightly) relevant to the recent spate of food hoarding due to coronavirus. 

don't let the subtitles out you off watching. 

Spoiler

I'm not a fan of 'open' none endings though as it can feel a bit of a cop out 

I imagine this will be remade into an English speaking film in the future. 

Â