The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

On 09/04/2020 at 13:48, mjmooney said:

The Shape of Water. IMDB is full of completely-missing-the-point one star user reviews. I loved it. The Creature from the Black Lagoon meets Amelie. 

This is class

38 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I Tonya, it’s good. Margot Robbie does a great role

This is also class. Possibly even better, though not really comparable.

that was a great Oscars year. There was also Three Billboards IIRC. I remember preferring I, Tonya.

Watched Booksmart this afternoon. I'd heard good things about it but it genuinely was a laugh a minute for me. Nice to see a coming of age comedy that wasn't all reliant on gross-out to get the laughs in. The sound-track is quality too. Really great directorial debut from Olivia Wilde.

• Like 4

Watched 'bad day for the cut'.

Basically an irish version of every revenge film made.

Really liked it though, strong believable lead performance, good atmosphere.

Its just let down slightly by one poorly written character that I wont go into more detail about.

30 minutes ago, stuart_75 said:

Truly awful. Mind boggling that this was going to get a cinema release.

Come for the sequel to a light-hearted fairly-amusing song and dance number, stay for the 2 hour discussion about relative merits of various musical genres.

We had a family cinema day in as our 3 year old loves the first and the holiday special.  I've no idea what they were trying to do with this; just glad it was a rental, so there's no chance of having this on repeat endlessly.

Cardboard gangsters - Irish film about the rise of a drug gang of youths in Dublin, very thick accents but quite believable performances, nothing special by enjoyed it. 7/10

Swallow - The setup is quite similar to a 50 shades of grey, rich husband who’s an asshole and wife who doesn’t feel loved, she develops a condition called PICA and it goes from there, sun nothing special but I enjoyed it, blends between genres. 7/10

• Like 1

I rewatched Suspiria (2018) earlier.

Man. That film. That film. It's brilliant.

Shot wonderfully. Beautiful soundtrack. Fantastic use of lore and myth. Dripping in atmosphere. Moments of intense horror.

It's biggest flaw is a single bit of casting and a weak character design at the climax.

**** brilliant 

On 11/04/2020 at 20:25, Wezbid said:

Watched Booksmart this afternoon. I'd heard good things about it but it genuinely was a laugh a minute for me. Nice to see a coming of age comedy that wasn't all reliant on gross-out to get the laughs in. The sound-track is quality too. Really great directorial debut from Olivia Wilde.

It really is the best film nobody saw.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

It really is the best film nobody saw.

I wonder if the leads were male how the ratings/viewings would be. Unfortunately that's still a big issue for some people despite the great strides being made.

Did you watch Mid-90's out of interest? Jonah Hill's directorial debut? Lovely little indie film that wasn't about an awful lot but just a nice little period of a young lads life growing up in the 90's. Just really solid film-making with that nostalgic feel that we all love.

• Like 1

Just now, Wezbid said:

I wonder if the leads were male how the ratings/viewings would be. Unfortunately that's still a big issue for some people despite the great strides being made.

Did you watch Mid-90's out of interest? Jonah Hill's directorial debut? Lovely little indie film that wasn't about an awful lot but just a nice little period of a young lads life growing up in the 90's. Just really solid film-making with that nostalgic feel that we all love.

No but I did watch Accepted  again yesterday. Underrated.

Accepted (2006) directed by Steve Pink • Reviews, film + cast ...

Just now, Wezbid said:

I haven't seen that before. I'll add it to list. Thanks.

It won't get in any top College comedy lists but Justin Long's Court speech at the end is better than a lot of films who take that type of scene seriously.

I'd go with Deadpool or Captain America.

Not Another Teen Movie [Blu-ray]: Amazon.co.uk: DVD & Blu-raySpin: Not Another Teen Movie is one of the GOAT parodies | Page 3 ...

Van Wilder: Party Liaison (2002) |Richard Van Wilder GIF - Richard VanWilder Dick - Discover & Share ...

30 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

No but I did watch Accepted  again yesterday. Underrated.

Accepted (2006) directed by Steve Pink • Reviews, film + cast ...

26 minutes ago, Wezbid said:

I haven't seen that before. I'll add it to list. Thanks.

I've seen this. And while I know it's not a film to be taken seriously at all... the concept is just so completely and utterly ludicrous I struggled to enjoy it :D 

Just now, Stevo985 said:

I've seen this. And while I know it's not a film to be taken seriously at all... the concept is just so completely and utterly ludicrous I struggled to enjoy it :D 

Yup. It's hard to ignore the core premise and the tonal shifts but there's half a good film in there.  The cast is decent too.   Like I said though it ain't making any top lists.

• Like 1

On 13/04/2020 at 08:21, Bizzzle said:

Watched The Road a good but very bleak and depressing film 7.5/10

I remember seeing it at the cinema and thinking, that was a great film but I never want to see it again. Probably even darker watching it at the moment.

• Like 2

Â