The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

Enjoyed The Platform (Spanish film on Netflix) as it was pretty thought provoking and (ever so slightly) relevant to the recent spate of food hoarding due to coronavirus. 

don't let the subtitles out you off watching. 

I want to see this and so does the Mrs. However, she is insisting we watch the English dubbed version that Netflix has. I'm not having it and have made it clear that subtitles are the only option and that's non-negotiable.

Seems we won't be watching it 😂

Edited by Troglodyte
  • Haha 1

Watched the old Christian Bale dragon flick Reign of Fire from 2002, seemed fitting with the world going up in flames and what not.

I quite like it for what it is and it's pretty amazing the managed to get such a big budget and big name actors for something like this. 

Fun fact it takes place in a fictional 2020 where the world has gone to shit. And on a dragon related note I spotted a very young King Joffrey from GOT dart past in a uncredited role.

6-6.5/10 if you like a bit of fiery action creature feature set in modern times.

I realised some odd things over the last couple of days of viewing - firstly that the clowns that get beaten up and robbed at the beginning of Once Upon a Time in the Midlands are Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer and secondly that Churchill in Peaky Blinders is played by Neil Maskell who I hadn't recognised at all. 

I'm sorry that that's not very interesting.

On 02/04/2020 at 14:43, Designer1 said:

Absolutely superb drama bio based on the book by Billy Moore.

Brutal, uncompromising and quite a hard watch at times. The performance from Joe Cole (Peaky Blinders not Chelsea) given that there is very little dialogue, is an incredibly physical and brilliantly nuanced one. If you saw him in Offender you know he's more than capable.

On Amazon Prime and well recommended.

spacer.png

Watched this over the weekend off your recommendation, really enjoyed it. Joe Cole was brilliant, will give Offender a go next.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

My favourite film so far over the lockdown period.

Honey Boy, LaBeouf’s latest is rather good too although a tougher watch that PBF. 

• Like 1

Last year I read that Jake Gyllenhaal was the biggest male star in Hollywood, so decided to watch some of his movies as I don't think I'd seen any of them up to that point, watched Donnie Darko, Zodiac, Nightcrawler and Prisoners. LIked them all.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, useless said:

Last year I read that Jake Gyllenhaal was the biggest male star in Hollywood, so decided to watch some of his movies as I don't think I'd seen any of them up to that point, watched Donnie Darko, Zodiac, Nightcrawler and Prisoners. LIked them all.

Nightcrawler is probably his best performance IMO 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

Yes I'm not very good at judging  acting performances unless they're over the top bad, but I thought he was very good in that one.

Recommend Nocturnal Animals, End of Watch and The Sisters Brothers too.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Marvellous.

Full film is free on youtube. It's also on Amazon Prime. It was originally shown on BBC back in 2014. (i've searched in here and can't find any mention of it)

A brilliant film and well worth watching.

A true story. Toby Jones plays Neil Baldwin who became the kitman for Stoke City.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, useless said:

he's good at comedy too, I'm sure he's got a bit of joker in him🤔

1 hour ago, imavillan said:

Marvellous.

Full film is free on youtube. It's also on Amazon Prime. It was originally shown on BBC back in 2014. (i've searched in here and can't find any mention of it)

A true story. Toby Jones plays Neil Baldwin who became the kitman for Stoke City.

I was an extra in this. Got paid £80 and a nice chilli con carne for sitting in the Wrexham football ground from 7pm-1am. 

Cool to see Toby Jones in the flesh and see how professional shoots work. 

Nello, Nello, Nello! 

• Like 4

Hiroshima Mon Amour - Marvellous film, albeit a bit confusing at times, could tell it was made by the same director that made Last Year at Marienbad.

Syndromes and a Century - Really liked it a lot as with all the other films I've seen by the same director has a slow dreamy medative feel to it, and can somehow feel quite fantastical even when it looks like there's only mundane things happening on the screen.

The Naked Kiss - Film Noir from 1964 wasn't expecting to like this one as much as I did but I thought it was really great, after watching read up on it a bit and agree with the reviewers who compare it to the work of David Lynch, shows an ideal version of America and also a more seedy side, one moment you've got the main character beating up pimps the next she's singing songs Mary Poppins style to children in a hospital, quite shocking in parts which I wasn't expecting either. Seen it criticized for bad acting but I think that adds to the films charm, so much so that I wondered if the over top acting was an artistic choice by the director.

• Like 1

On 21/04/2020 at 22:23, imavillan said:

Marvellous.

Toby Jones, one of the finest actors I've had the privilege to watch.  

• Like 1

On 14/03/2020 at 11:08, bickster said:

I watched 1917 this morning. It's utterly fantastic, great cinematography, script, acting, it's hard to find fault with it

For me it would comfortably sit alongside the movie greats of the '70s and '80s like Apocalypse Now. Most modern films wouldn't get close

Wow, nice. I was just coming in here to ask what I should watch between 1917 and Ford vs Ferrari. 

On 21/04/2020 at 17:49, Phil Silvers said:

he's good at comedy too, I'm sure he's got a bit of joker in him🤔

He's understated but still a bit of a live wire. Great actor.

Â