The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

After hearing so many negative things, I had put off watching It Chapter 2 until this evening and didn't think it was half as bad as some of the reviews made it out to be. 

Sure, it didn't scare the bejeezus out of me but it had its moments and thought the castings of the older Losers Club were a really decent match for the younger cast members. 

At some point I'll try and watch both films back to back. 

• Like 1

Motherless Brooklyn (2019): Well worth a watch. 7/10 ish movie, but an engaging ride. A little on the self indulgent side from Norton.

Daughter of the Wolf (2019): Not in any way great, but a solid enough way to pass the time all the same and Carano pulls off the avenger roll convincingly.

• Like 1

Watched The Black Sea, which is currently doing the rounds on Film4.

a fairly decent thriller about a group of ex-submariners attempting to retrieve Nazi gold from a sunken world war 2 submarine in the Black Sea.

very decent cast, including Jude Law, Ben Mendelsohn and Scoot McNairy amongst others.

its a little predictable but it’s got some great tense and claustrophobic scenes in it and worth a watch. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Finally watched The Death of Stalin tonight. I'd put it off for a while as I find 90% of comedies to be a bit shit. Wish I hadn't, it is fantastic.

Absolutely loved that film!!!

• Like 1

6 Undertaken was a couple of hours of mindless fun. Ryan Reynolds really excels one roles like that. The women were very attractive as well which is an added bonus. Did make me laugh that Reynolds got his advertisement in for his brand of gin.

On 05/04/2020 at 18:40, villakram said:

Motherless Brooklyn (2019): Well worth a watch. 7/10 ish movie, but an engaging ride. A little on the self indulgent side from Norton.

I really enjoyed Motherless Brooklyn. He talks about its production a decent amount on the Joe Rogan Podcast. That episode is a really good listen. Norton comes across as such a genuinely good guy. I don't blame him being a little self indulgent given all the effort he put in getting the film made with very little. The true story it's based on (the Baldwin character) sounds really interesting (and scary). Wouldn't mind seeing Ed revisit this character but in a documentary form.

• Like 1

Seven movies I started watching but didn't finish watching...

Juliet of the Spirits...  wasn't really in the mood for it... Holy Motors... wasn't really enjoying it... Shoplifters... will watch it properly some other time, since watched one of the director's other movies (After Life) which I really liked...  Shin Godzilla... was silly but was quite enjoying it, think I was just tired... Madeline's Madeline... can't quite put my finger on why I couldn't quite get into this one, might give it another go as I liked the idea... Lady Bird...  can't remember why I turned this off, might give it another go... Out 1: Noli Me Tangere... was enjoying some of it, but the scenes with experimental theatre troupes withering around the floor became a real drag, might sit through it one day just so I can to myself that I've watched it.

Edited by useless

39 minutes ago, Wezbid said:

I really enjoyed Motherless Brooklyn. He talks about its production a decent amount on the Joe Rogan Podcast. That episode is a really good listen. Norton comes across as such a genuinely good guy. I don't blame him being a little self indulgent given all the effort he put in getting the film made with very little. The true story it's based on (the Baldwin character) sounds really interesting (and scary). Wouldn't mind seeing Ed revisit this character but in a documentary form.

ya... that's where I heard about it. Rogan does have a knack for doing solid interviews/chats.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Finally watched The Death of Stalin tonight. I'd put it off for a while as I find 90% of comedies to be a bit shit. Wish I hadn't, it is fantastic.

Interesting. I thought it was shite (like you I tend to hate comedies).

Saw Parasite last night. It is indeed very good.

And I watched Joker. Thought it was boring. 

Joker is really good and I'm a fan of Joaquin Phoenix but I was still surprised at the level of accolades it received. Parasite was brilliant and I've got The Host to watch sometime soon - another Bong Joon-Ho film. We watched Snowpiercer before Parasite and that was pretty interesting too; I see there's a TV series of the former coming soon as well. 

Edited by Troglodyte

3 hours ago, villakram said:

ya... that's where I heard about it. Rogan does have a knack for doing solid interviews/chats.

I've known of Joe for nearly 20 years now since I started watching UFC. He always came across as down to Earth whilst also in your face in a strange way. It's taken me ages to get to his podcast though so I'm just scratching the surface but you're right, the guy can chat to anyone about anything and have it be engaging. 

I don't care for long discussions in terms of taking part but I imagine if we were in the same room, Joe and I would be talking for hours. 

He has the blend of a good amount of knowledge, talking to people like a human being regardless of who they are and the most important thing, wanting to soak up more knowledge or opposite opinions. 

So far I've only downloaded newer episodes from people I know of. Eventually I'll start from the begining and work that way. A lot of the early ones though look like mates with repeat appearences. 

On 05/04/2020 at 18:40, villakram said:

Daughter of the Wolf (2019): Not in any way great, but a solid enough way to pass the time all the same and Carano pulls off the avenger roll convincingly.

I watched Motherless Brooklyn over the weekend and thought it was way too long and I didnt really get why Alex Baldwins character was bumping people off because of a minor indescretion back in the day compared to all the real crime he was committing on a daily basis seemingly above the law.

I can only give it a 4 out of 10

Watched a film called Vivarium last night and it was hands down the strangest film I've ever enjoyed. It was like watching one of my panic dreams on TV! I'd give it 7/10 but could understand why people wouldn't like it 

11 hours ago, Bizzzle said:

Watched a film called Vivarium last night and it was hands down the strangest film I've ever enjoyed. It was like watching one of my panic dreams on TV! I'd give it 7/10 but could understand why people wouldn't like it 

I couldn’t give it more than 6/10. Nice idea but executed quite badly and ultimately I didn’t care about any of the characters.

• Like 1

Â