The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

The Gentlemen was great. I'm a massive fan of Lock, Stock and Snatch so that was a good return to form that I hope he can maintain. 

For me it was average , just more of the same stuff that Lock does , nice to watch a few times but then the format he uses, jumping through the script, becomes tiresome. 

Watched Knives Out and Ford vs Ferrari over the weekend. 

Knives Out was decent enough but was distracted throughout by Daniel Craig's accent. 

Ford vs Ferrari was very good. Another excellent performance by Bale. Great actor. 

Edited by Hornso

On 28/03/2020 at 15:27, Chindie said:

Jasmine was played by Naomi Scott, who isn't Caucasian. Her mom's of Indian heritage, her dad is English.

She's also gorgeous, so who cares either way.

Ok, wtf... I just googled her and wtf... and of course!

I was joking about her being an American Apparel or GAP model  while watching such was her whiteness and complete absence of acting. Did Disney post process/whitewash her during that movie or do I need to upgrade my TV?!? 

9 hours ago, villakram said:

Ok, wtf... I just googled her and wtf... and of course!

I was joking about her being an American Apparel or GAP model  while watching such was her whiteness and complete absence of acting. Did Disney post process/whitewash her during that movie or do I need to upgrade my TV?!? 

I think it's fair to see her as white. She is quite pale so it's a legitimate error. 

• Like 1

I’m not one for watching many films. But I watched ‘A Quiet Place’ a couple of evenings ago and I thought it was very good. It might well have been that the lack of sound meant that I actually had to watch it rather than have it on and then get distracted by other things.

I guess it was horror? But more the suspense side than slasher gore side. Basically, surviving in a world of monsters that hunt by sound.

The lack of explosions and capes and quirky love story and general americanised culture cliches was highly appreciated by myself.

Looked clearly set up for a sequel / prequel / tv spin off, but fine for that. Not very often something comes along that’s a bit different.

I’d give it a solid Pooligan 7.5/10

• Like 3

Two films in the last two days:

Birds of Prey - Very average, I was expecting more from it. Disappointing really.

Peanut Butter Falcon - Absolutely brilliant, one of my favourite films in a while. Shia LaBeouf is brilliant actor and Zack Gottsagen is hilarious.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I’m not one for watching many films. But I watched ‘A Quiet Place’ a couple of evenings ago and I thought it was very good. It might well have been that the lack of sound meant that I actually had to watch it rather than have it on and then get distracted by other things.

I guess it was horror? But more the suspense side than slasher gore side. Basically, surviving in a world of monsters that hunt by sound.

The lack of explosions and capes and quirky love story and general americanised culture cliches was highly appreciated by myself.

Looked clearly set up for a sequel / prequel / tv spin off, but fine for that. Not very often something comes along that’s a bit different.

I’d give it a solid Pooligan 7.5/10

Part II meant to be out now, but postponed at last minute due to covid.  I too loved the first film.  8/10 

• Like 1

1917: Very, very meh, and a borderline propagandistic puff piece. A movie in which a 2some, becomes a 1some. Where being blown up only results in dust getting your your eyes and those evil Germans shoot like James Bond henchmen.

Spoiler

A big plus is the annoying clearing in the woods fellow dies a slow and painful death. I believe, we were supposed to feel some connection and sorrow for the naive clearing in the woods, nope!

Skip and watch "They shall not grow old" instead.

Edited by villakram
  • Like 1

Lockdown is going to be a real boon to my film watching I think - 10 films, 11 to come later on so far, since working from home. 

Terrific stuff. Will also endorse Mubi as a great source of different films. Just watched Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance  by Park chan wook and I'll be checking out Oldboy soon enough ( both are up on there, though only a few more days for Sympathy..) Bloody grim film, but compelling!

Also watched The Awakening of the Ants - a costa rican film about a domestic wife/mother, slowly rebelling against the patriarchal environment she's stuck in. It's understated, and the rebellion in other worlds would seem barely noticeable, but the film does a great job in illustrating how much effort she undertakes to reach this point. 

Great to see they have some Jean Pierre Melville films up there too,  Army of Shadows and Le Cercle Rouge are on now and heartily recommended. Caught Jean Morin  before it went a couple of days ago. Set during the occupation it's the relationship between a catholic priest and a communist widow, as they engage in suppressed attraction through arguing about faith. Whilst the atheist in me got narked by the film's god sympathy, the dynamic between the two leads was terrific. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Tegis said:

If there ever was a rackademy award.......
What a movie!

I Know What You Did Last Summer is another favourite of mine with her in.

I certainly know what I did that summer as an 18yo bloke thinking about her and Sarah Michelle Gellar. 

thumb_most-redditors-after-1-week-of-sel

• Like 1

Watched a fair few recently. 

Outbreak 7.5/10 love a cheesy 90s film

Contagion 6/10 pretty boring imo

The platform 7/10 **** weird but decent 

Birds of prey 5/10 pretty poor 

Bloodshot 5.5/10 had potential to be good but really wasn't. Still relatively entertaining mind

Underwater 5/10 meh wouldn't waste your time with this 

Edited by Bizzzle

7 hours ago, Bizzzle said:

Watched a fair few recently. 

Outbreak 7.5/10 love a cheesy 90s film

Contagion 6/10 pretty boring imo

Something on your mind? 

• Haha 1

On 30/03/2020 at 16:03, sne said:

Watched the first 10 mins of Birds of Prey but I just could not do it. It wasn't for me.

It was worth watching just for the bacon sandwich recipe. Mmmmm

On 31/03/2020 at 21:35, wilko154 said:

Gone Baby Gone tonight, not sure how I've not seen it before. Great film.

Casey Affleck is an interesting actor. I like seeing him on screen. 

Out of the Furnace and Ain't Them Bodies Saints are 2 other good ones, especially the latter. 

Â