The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Absolutely superb drama bio based on the book by Billy Moore.

Brutal, uncompromising and quite a hard watch at times. The performance from Joe Cole (Peaky Blinders not Chelsea) given that there is very little dialogue, is an incredibly physical and brilliantly nuanced one. If you saw him in Offender you know he's more than capable.

On Amazon Prime and well recommended.

spacer.png

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

If you haven't already seen it, then I strongly recommend Manchester by the Sea. One of the finest pieces of acting I've seen. Achingly moving.

Couldn't agree with you any more. I watched it in the cinema back when I had a monthly pass and was a singleton. Thankfully I went on my own in a quiet screening as I ended up in tears. Casey Affleck seems to go for these darker roles/stories, it suits him well from what I've seen. Still got plenty of his left to see, Light of My Life sounds like another one of them.

• Like 1

I loved Little Women, thought it was a terrific film. 

Today's choices - couple of oldies, Le Doulos and The Man Who Knew Too Much. Both good, preferred Le Doulos but the latter has some comic absurdity in it that I'm not convinced was intentional, and also definitely, er of its era in places.

On 31/03/2020 at 17:38, Rodders said:

Lockdown is going to be a real boon to my film watching I think - 10 films, 11 to come later on so far, since working from home. 

Terrific stuff. Will also endorse Mubi as a great source of different films. Just watched Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance  by Park chan wook and I'll be checking out Oldboy soon enough ( both are up on there, though only a few more days for Sympathy..) Bloody grim film, but compelling!

Also watched The Awakening of the Ants - a costa rican film about a domestic wife/mother, slowly rebelling against the patriarchal environment she's stuck in. It's understated, and the rebellion in other worlds would seem barely noticeable, but the film does a great job in illustrating how much effort she undertakes to reach this point. 

Great to see they have some Jean Pierre Melville films up there too,  Army of Shadows and Le Cercle Rouge are on now and heartily recommended. Caught Jean Morin  before it went a couple of days ago. Set during the occupation it's the relationship between a catholic priest and a communist widow, as they engage in suppressed attraction through arguing about faith. Whilst the atheist in me got narked by the film's god sympathy, the dynamic between the two leads was terrific. 

MUBI is a pretty good resource IMO. Can usually find a choice of 4 or 5 things I would definitely be interested in. Rewatched The Proposition tonight, just before it left, which was better than I remembered (great music).

On 02/04/2020 at 14:43, Designer1 said:

Absolutely superb drama bio based on the book by Billy Moore.

Brutal, uncompromising and quite a hard watch at times. The performance from Joe Cole (Peaky Blinders not Chelsea) given that there is very little dialogue, is an incredibly physical and brilliantly nuanced one. If you saw him in Offender you know he's more than capable.

On Amazon Prime and well recommended.

spacer.png

Good film. 

• Like 2

I watched a film called Firewall last night which I had a vague feeling I'd seen before, most notable for Harrison Ford having the same facial expression for a good hour and a half.  Pretty bad stuff.  I've also seen Ocean's 11 and 13 recently, I remember Ocean's 12 being shite so didn't bother. 

I've just had to sit through Dr Doolittle ... OMG, what a load of sh1te! imdb.com reviewers say '"it's a kids film, what do you expect?", well... even my kids didn't like it - Ironman is so dead!

1 hour ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Just watched Rocketman and have to say it was well worth watching.

Gives you an exceptional insight into Elton John's life and the things he has gone through.

As soon as I heard that it has him playing "Crocodile Rock" at The Troubadour in 1970 I decided I wasn't going to watch it. 

I really enjoyed Parasite. As quirky as a film gets, but the layers to the story are something else. I just hope they don't try to remake it in an English version.  For me, this film could only work in its original version. Those Koreans do turn out some great movies. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

As soon as I heard that it has him playing "Crocodile Rock" at The Troubadour in 1970 I decided I wasn't going to watch it. 

Fair enough but there is plenty to enjoy in there as well even if (like many films) some details aren't factually correct. Personally would recommend.

Â