The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I've just thought of my favorite Studio Ghibli films... I was going to rank them all from most favorite to least favorite, but didn't feel like it, but enjoy this top five instead...

Kiki's Delivery Service
Whisper of the Heart
My Neighbour Totoro
Spirited Away
Only Yesterday

I watch the subtitled versions.

Edited by useless
New page
  • Like 3

On 08/08/2019 at 16:44, villa4europe said:

the thing that stood out for me when I revisit the early films is the aggressiveness towards women, im sure he slaps some of them about and is very hands on

Have now watched Goldfinger & Thunderball and after taking note of your comment it really stands out the amount of times he forces himself onto female characters.

• Like 1

Had the misfortune to watch The Hustle with Anne Hathaway and Rebel Wilson......................................................................a remake of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels but with out the laughs and the story but with added Rebel Wilson.

To be fair 2 minutes in it was obvious it was going to be a dud.

16 hours ago, useless said:

I've just thought of my favorite Studio Ghibli films... I was going to rank them all from most favorite to least favorite, but didn't feel like it, but enjoy this top five instead...

Kiki's Delivery Service
Whisper of the Heart
My Neighbour Totoro
Spirited Away
Only Yesterday

Have only seen about 6/7 and only 2 of those - ( Spirited Away, and My Neighbour Totoro ) and loved them all. 

If I had to nail one down, maybe Your Name is my favourite but I could happily watch any of them several times over.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Have only seen about 6/7 and only 2 of those - ( Spirited Away, and My Neighbour Totoro ) and loved them all. 

If I had to nail one down, maybe Your Name is my favourite but I could happily watch any of them several times over.

Your Name is an excellent film, but it's not a Ghibli :)

Don't think I could rank the ones I've seen. Mononoke, Totoro, Spirited Away, Grave of the Fireflies, Castle in the Sky... They're all fantastic in their own ways.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, useless said:

Kiki's Delivery Service
Whisper of the Heart
My Neighbour Totoro
Spirited Away
Only Yesterday

The cat returns and The Wind rises , are the best 2  ....

they showed cat returns at the prince Charles in Leicester square a few months back so took my daughter to see it on the big screen , must have seen it about 30 times since !!

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

I like them all, I've only seen some of them once though, maybe my favourites would change if I watched them again, but I think Kiki's Delivery Service, would always stay my favorite.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

I like them all, I've only seen some of them once though, maybe my favourites would change if I watched them again, but I think Kiki's Delivery Service, would always stay my favorite.

What a wonderful film :thumb:

They (Ghibli) have pretty much a perfect record with me and I think I've seen nearly all of them. Grave of the Fireflies gets me in the feels every single time but I think Totoro and When Marnie Was There would probably be my favourites.

• Like 1

I thought they were going to take off after Disney distributed SA and HMC and the films all got the blu Ray release but they died off a bit, tales from earthsea was a big miss and they seemed to drop from the mainstream 

Not sure if film 4 still have the UK TV rights, they could do with BBC running a season on them (throw in some docs or something along side the films) or even better Netflix getting the lot

Princess Kaguya not getting enough love, the art style is incredible 

Edited by villa4europe

Hard to rank, but I think for me it would be Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle (name?), Nausicaa, Kiki's Delivery Service and My Neighbour Totoro. But yeah, they're all great. Film 4 had a spell of showing one in the middle of every weekday afternoon when I was out of work about a decade ago, and it was a really good few weeks. Shame Film 4 has gone so far downhill since then. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Designer1 said:

What a wonderful film :thumb:

They (Ghibli) have pretty much a perfect record with me and I think I've seen nearly all of them. Grave of the Fireflies gets me in the feels every single time but I think Totoro and When Marnie Was There would probably be my favourites.

Grave of the Fireflies is great.

Barefoot Gen is also not bad.

It chapter 2

Spoiler

Not enough Turtle, slow pacing, and a consistent comedic streak which runs the entire length (and feels long) make it a slightly worse film than the first. Does have it's moments, though, and considering the books final battle, here it's dealt with pretty well.

Despite some things that may annoy the purists, I can't think of any other way around the...problems that the novel brings with a screen adaptation, with the decisions made here. I thought they were going use Audra, but she only appears in a very early scene with Bill. 

Perhaps other than Stan not looking wizened enough given his long term exposure to Derry compared to the rest, and the lack of Derry being 'purged' after the final battle. Plus not enough turtle. Torn about the King cameo! It was a bit of fun sure, but he kinda overplayed it. 

Edited by hogso

On 07/09/2019 at 09:01, ferguson1 said:

Watched Fisherman’s Friends last night with Daniel Mays.   Enjoyed it to be honest.  Nice feel good movie and Mrs F likes that kind of stuff all the time. 

Enjoyable film except Mays. He seems quite punchable😂

Â