The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Edit: Nevermind, found it

Did the documentary thread get deleted or merged? Can't find it anywhere.

I can't recall and want to check who was interested in viewing a film that was unavailable at the time but has since been released for private viewing.

Edited by A'Villan
Nevermind, found it.

Brightburn was a bit meh.

Was very low budget so they had to keep it unspectacular. Felt more like a first episode of a TV-series than a movie.

5.5/10

Aladdin for me last night. 

It was ok. Some bits really worked some bits didn’t. 

Will Smith as the genie was great in places and not so great in others. Probably didn’t help that you’re always comparing him to the Robin Williams version. 

I think it’s one of those movies that if you hadn’t seen the original you’d love it. But comparing it to the original it will always lose

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sne said:

Brightburn was a bit meh.

Was very low budget so they had to keep it unspectacular. Felt more like a first episode of a TV-series than a movie.

5.5/10

Yeah I said earlier in the thread, my thoughts were that the concept was interesting but the execution was way too on the nose. There was no intricacy or subtlety to the mental transformation and what was left was a very cookie cutter horror with signposted jump scares.

A shame.

• Like 1

The Wolf's Call (Le chant du loup) was OK but not as good as I hoped.

Get that it's harder to make scenarios for these kind of movies now than during the old cold war and this was so and so.

From a technical standpoint I imagine it is more "realistic" than a few other movies of it's kind? (or not) But I kinda lost interest a bit towards the end.

Still, if you like submarine movies it might be worth checking this one out, it's not bad at all but not the best in it's genre either.

The Wolf's Call Poster

Watched a couple of Netflix films over the past day. 

Murder Mystery - I don’t know why I did it really. Like a band that used to be good reforming, or a sportsman making a come back and you hope they can hit their previous heights, I thought maybe eventually Sandler might make another funny film. This wasn’t it by any stretch of the imagination. 

The Dirt - whilst I was never a fan of Motley Crue ( I was a GNR kid), I read the book a few years ago and it was ace. The film is pretty decent to be honest, not amazing, but funny and holds the attention. It’s not a patch on the book, but it’s good fun and the attention to detail is really good. 

Edited by wazzap24

On 17/06/2019 at 07:34, Designer1 said:

What-Keeps-you-Alive-Poster.jpg

Excellent psychological horror movie from the Writer/Director of Grave Encounters Colin Minihan. 

A stripped back, effectively sparse storyline coupled with strong performances from the two leads (the whole thing is effectively a two hander as there are hardly any other actors in it), with some nice twists and turns along the way.

It's on Netflix if you fancy giving it a go :thumb:

Nice! Will give this a watch tonight! Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wazzap24 said:

Murder Mystery - I don’t know why I did it really.

After winning at life yesterday, you've let yourself down today. 

I'm not angry mate, I'm just disappointed in you. 

:P

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Xela said:

After winning at life yesterday, you've let yourself down today. 

I'm not angry mate, I'm just disappointed in you. 

:P

I understand mate, I feel like I’ve let myself, family and friends down tbh. 

The worst of it was, I wasnt even stoned when I watched it! 

Some deal Sandler got there though with Netflix. He’s just dialling these crappy films in, and getting an absolute fortune for it. 

Edited by wazzap24
  • Haha 1

On 16/06/2019 at 22:50, choffer said:

On Netflix now. One of those "you couldn't make it up but it's actually true" stories of the WWII escape of a Norwegian solider. Tense stuff.

CB0rWCp.jpg

Watched this this evening. Amazing story and not a bad film at all. 

Cheers for the recommendation :) 

5 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

I understand mate, I feel like I’ve let myself, family and friends down tbh. 

The worst of it was, I wasnt even stoned when I watched it! 

Some deal Sandler got there though with Netflix. He’s just dialling these crappy films in, and getting an absolute fortune for it. 

I despised Sandler even during his so called better films era (Gimore, Madison, Waterboy). He's just someone I can't take to, no matter what. As funny as ebola. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Xela said:

I despised Sandler even during his so called better films era (Gimore, Madison, Waterboy). He's just someone I can't take to, no matter what. As funny as ebola. 

I know I've said this a gazillion times on here but the thing that annoys me most about Sandler is that he CAN act.

In the rare occasions that he steps out of the comfort zone with a decent stript and director, he's actually very good.

Punch Drunk Love, Reign Over Me and the more recent Meyerowitz Stories are testament to this.

He's basically a way better straight actor than he is comedic.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Aladdin for me last night. 

It was ok. Some bits really worked some bits didn’t. 

Will Smith as the genie was great in places and not so great in others. Probably didn’t help that you’re always comparing him to the Robin Williams version. 

I think it’s one of those movies that if you hadn’t seen the original you’d love it. But comparing it to the original it will always lose

Saw it yesterday, and similarish, though I did enjoy it. Will Smith's role is pretty thankless but I did think the good bits in updating the storyline for Jasmine etc worked well. I thought the actor playing Jafar was pretty rubbish mind, cartoonish or bland. And I know it's adapting from a cartoon villain, but even so, he was a bit weak. I'd say it's one of the good live action re-makes, but it won't supplant the original in my childhood affections. It would be interesting to see what those growing up with the new generation of films think of the "old" ones from the early 90s. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Xela said:

I think this is the case with comedians as much as bands/types of music. You either really like them, or you think they are the worst thing ever. 

I wouldn’t consider myself a Sandler fan, but I loved some of those earlier films and he went on a decent run for a while. 

The Netflix efforts are absolute pish though. 

Â